The Student Room Group

GCSE Options. Need Advice!

Hey.
I'm in Year 8 and about to choose my options for GCSE. However, I'm having a little trouble; History or Geography?
Personally, I enjoy geography more than history, but my friends, most of which are choosing history, say that geography is harder and that people would struggle.
Teachers say that history is mostly writing essays, something which sends chills down my spine.

So, what did you choose? Did you enjoy it or not, and why? Some advice?

Thanks.
Think you answered your own question.
Original post by spicyethan
Hey.
I'm in Year 8 and about to choose my options for GCSE. However, I'm having a little trouble; History or Geography?
Personally, I enjoy geography more than history, but my friends, most of which are choosing history, say that geography is harder and that people would struggle.
Teachers say that history is mostly writing essays, something which sends chills down my spine.

So, what did you choose? Did you enjoy it or not, and why? Some advice?

Thanks.

Hi, i would recommend Geography, as i have taken and gotten an Astar. History exam is literally writing essays to answer questions which are worth like 20 marks. There is alot to learn and it can get really bland after a while. Geography is intresting and probably your best option. Dont listen to your friends cause GCSE is the building blocks of your future. Take something you like and study hard, you will then hopefully get the grades you want.
If you don't like essays and prefer geography then I think you've answered your own question!

How difficult something is depends on the person and how much effort you put in. I did history GCSE and enjoyed it but essays were annoying. I hated geography and knew I wouldnt have done as well in geography because of that.

So yeah pick what you like and what you're best at!
Reply 4
Well, I chose neither but I have friends who chose history and geography.

Depending on your exam board, geography may have some Maths in it, so it would help if Maths was one of your strong subjects

As you said, history is more essay based so it'd help if English was your strong point.

But, what I would say in general is don't just look at what you're doing now, look what you are going to do in the future. Like, your A-Levels, Degree or apprenticeship, future career. I'm in year 10 and many people I know regret picking certain options because they have nothing to do with what they want to do in the future. Why did they pick those options then? Because they didn't think, they only looked at what will get them an "easy" A.

The truth is no subject is hard. It's about the amount of time you put into that subject. People who are better at history, put more time into that subject people who are better at geography put more time into geography.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you have any further questions :smile:
I took both, enjoyed both and never regretted my decision. History is more interesting in my opinion but it is easier to get top grades with geography.
Reply 6
Don't follow the crowd. If you enjoy geography more then history, then pick geo. Universities will look at your grades before they look at the subject, so if you enjoy geo more then there's a more likely chance you will get a higher grade. Therefore leading you a more higher chance of getting into the uni. Uno who this is, plus theres not that many people who chose history in our class. It was only like 5-10 people. Ethan in geo today you seemed confident that u were choosing geo... i think u are more stronger in geo and u get higher marks then me :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Go for Geography. You seem to like it a lot more. History (which I took) requires a lot of knowledge and a lot of writing. I defiantly wouldn't say that it is easy.

Geography, from what I hear (Year 11 student), isn't that hard is most aspects of it and, to be honest, sounds more interesting than History.

Go with which ever one you prefer, not the one your friends prefer
(edited 6 years ago)
i do Edexcel GCSE geography and find it relly interesting.There is quite a lot of content nad memory involved but toher thtan that i find it easy and enjoyable. I dont do histroy but ik my friends who do it really enjoy it but say its a lot of work and writing essays which may be bad for you if you dont like the idea of it. Hope this helps
I would say to choose History! people who did geography had to learn like 50 case studies for the exam and write essays on these! history was a lot more interesting to learn about topic-wise. xx

Quick Reply

Latest