Turn on thread page Beta

B1352 - Compulsory Vaccination and Operation Bill 2018 watch

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1352 - Compulsory Vaccination and Operation Bill 2018, JellyMilk, seconded by JoeL1994, tommy1boy and cranbrook_aspie

A
    BILL
    TO

Make provision for the compulsory vaccination of children for all vital illnesses named herein this Act and to make provisions to enable hospitals to perform life-saving operations on children without the consent of their parents.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1: Definitions

(1) For the purposes of this act, a “child” will be any person under 16 years of age at the time the operation took place.
    (2) For the purposes of this act, a “life-saving operation” is classed as a surgical procedure that, if not administered, would leave the child with more than a 50% chance of permanent disability or death as determined by the relevant medical authority.

2: Compulsory vaccinations

(1) The following vaccinations will be required, regardless of objection, to be administered at the age defined per injection:
    INDENT(a) At 8 weeks of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, hib, and hepatitis b (the ‘6-in-1’ vaccination); and,
    INDENT INDENT (ii) Pneumococcal (PCV); and,
    INDENT INDENT (iii) Rotavirus; and,
    INDENT INDENT (iv) MenB.
    INDENT (b) At 12 weeks of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Second dose of 6-in-1 and Rotavirus
    INDENT (c) At 16 weeks of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Third dose of 6-in-1; and,
    INDENT INDENT (ii) Second dose of PCV and MenB.
    INDENT (d) At 6 months of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) BCG (Tuberculosis)
    INDENT (e) At 1 year of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Hib/MenC vaccine (fourth dose for hib, first for MenC); and,
    INDENT INDENT (ii) Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR); and,
    INDENT INDENT (iii) Third dose of PCV and MenB.
    INDENT (f) At 3 years and 4 months of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio (the ‘4-in-1 pre-school’ vaccine); and,
    INDENT INDENT (ii) Second dose of MMR.
    INDENT (g) If the child is female: between the ages of 12-13:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Cervical cancer (HPV).
    INDENT INDENT INDENT (A) Two doses given 6-12 months apart.
    INDENT (h) At 14 years of age:
    INDENT INDENT (i) Diphtheria, tetanus, and polio (the ‘3-in-1 teenage’ vaccine); and,
    INDENT INDENT (ii) Meningitis types A, C, W, and Y (MenACWY).
    (2) To be exempted from these requirements, the child must:
    INDENT (a) Have a life-threatening or debilitating allergy to one or more of the components in the vaccines; or,
    INDENT (b) Have had a serious adverse event relating to the use of vaccinations; or,
    INDENT (c) Have a severely compromised; or is taking medications that suppress; the immune system.
    (3) Any additional vaccines can be amended onto this list by the Secretary of State for Health as part of a statement of intent.
    INDENT (a) Vaccines cannot be removed from this list in the same manner.
    (4) This act extends to vaccinations recommended for visits to foreign countries.

3: Life-saving operations

(1) In the event that a circumstance the child has a characteristic that is life threatening and requires immediate surgery, it is required to be administered as long as it meets the following requirements:
    INDENT (a) The operation was in response to a life threatening characteristic; and,
    INDENT (b) The operation was needed within 48 hours of the child’s arrival at hospital; and,
    INDENT (c) In the event of the operation not being performed, there is more than a 50% chance that the child would have suffered permanent disability or death.
    (2) If any one of these criteria is not met, the operation can only occur with the permission of the parent or guardian of the child.

4: Changes to existing legislation

(1) Section 1(2) of the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 is amended to include:
    INDENT (a) “(c) Where a parent or person legally liable for a non-exempt child refuses to have them vaccinated, for any disease stated in the Compulsory Vaccination and Operation Bill 2018, for a period of 2 months after the required vaccination date; or,”
    INDENT (b) “(d) Where a parent or person legally liable for a child fails to allow a life-saving operation to take place, as defined in the Compulsory Vaccination and Operation Bill 2018.”
    (2) V984 is repealed in its entirety.

5: Commencement, Extent and Short Title

(1)This Act shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (2)This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (3)This Act shall be known as the Compulsory Vaccination and Operation Act.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This bill is one that I think is required in this age of advanced medicine.
    This act is, in essence, an upgraded version of V984, which it repeals. The differences between the two are that this bill allows for the Health SoS to submit additions in their SoIs; this bill changes the punishment from a fine or imprisonment to a neglect charge,
    which has varying consequences based on the severity; this bill creates legislation for compulsory life-saving operations that parents are either able to refuse on personal grounds, or are unable to be reached for permission; this bill changes the defined age of a child from 18 to 16; and, this bill directly classifies how one can be exempt.

It is absolutely vital that the United Kingdom aims to achieve full herd immunity to protect generations from diseases, and those who cannot be vaccinated are not put at risk.

Posted by SpeakerBot
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Shameful.

ReputationRep:
    Formatting is a bit weird due to the way I’ve done indents, but it’s still perfectly readable. Phew!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Odd formatting but it’s readable I guess 😜
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Public health comes before all silly objections to vital medicine, religious or otherwise.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm inclined to support this – ensuring the health of citizens is a primary purpose of the state.

ReputationRep:
    An excellent bill written by my (right?) honourable friend. I hope this can get wide bipartisan support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    An excellent bill written by my (right?) honourable friend. I hope this can get wide bipartisan support.
    Not yet right, but hopefully soon!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JellyMilk)
    One day mate... one day 🙃
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    An excellent bill. This has my support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyMilk)
    If you crossed the floor and joined us in the liberals, I am sure we could find you a place in the cabinet. xD

ReputationRep:
    I’m fully supportive of vaccinations and believe them to be medically beneficial, however I don’t believe we should force anything on anyone, therefore I’ll voting nay I’m afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I’m fully supportive of vaccinations and believe them to be medically beneficial, however I don’t believe we should force anything on anyone, therefore I’ll voting nay I’m afraid.
    This bill relates to children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    This bill relates to children.
    It should be the choice of the parents as to whether or not their children get vaccinations, not the state.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This bill runs into a small problem in that there are not major vaccination rate issues for any of these vaccinations, several of them are above the 95% WHO target rate. Further, looking up the incidence rates for several of the diseases in question the greatest threat is quite clearly the foreign born population, for isntance the incident rate in the native born population is only 3.2 per 100,000 for TB, this increases to 49.4 for the foreign born population, despite being a small part of the population over 70% of TB cases in the UK belong to this demographic.It is also worth noting that current guidance limits the coverage to those in high risk areas, understandable given the low incidence rate and high cost of these vaccinations.

Further some of the vaccinations cover diseases all but eliminated diseases, for instance in 2016 there were GLOBALLY only 37 polio cases with one type of the virus eradicated in 1999 and another having no known cases in over half a decade. Looking through them this becomes a common theme, diseases practically eliminated either globally or in the UK under the current system with varying costs, some are less than £1 others pushing £100 to vaccinate against.

ReputationRep:
    It should be the choice of the parents as to whether or not their children get vaccinations, not the state.
    Many parents, however, refuse to let their children get vaccinations on personal grounds. These grounds usually relate to vaccines causing some unwanted side effect, which is completely untrue.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I like the idea of enforcing vaccinations as I think they are important. If people aren't vaccinating their children either deliberately or out of sheer laziness/ carelessness then the entire population's health could be at risk due to the subsequent resurgence of breakouts of various illnesses which, thank God, aren't a major issue nowadays thanks to vaccines. As much as I hate the idea of forcing anyone to do anything, it really is for the greater good and I am leaning towards an aye atm.

ReputationRep:
    Aye! Vaccines should be required for children for their health and the well-being of society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This bill runs into a small problem in that there are not major vaccination rate issues for any of these vaccinations, several of them are above the 95% WHO target rate. Further, looking up the incidence rates for several of the diseases in question the greatest threat is quite clearly the foreign born population, for isntance the incident rate in the native born population is only 3.2 per 100,000 for TB, this increases to 49.4 for the foreign born population, despite being a small part of the population over 70% of TB cases in the UK belong to this demographic.It is also worth noting that current guidance limits the coverage to those in high risk areas, understandable given the low incidence rate and high cost of these vaccinations.

Further some of the vaccinations cover diseases all but eliminated diseases, for instance in 2016 there were GLOBALLY only 37 polio cases with one type of the virus eradicated in 1999 and another having no known cases in over half a decade. Looking through them this becomes a common theme, diseases practically eliminated either globally or in the UK under the current system with varying costs, some are less than £1 others pushing £100 to vaccinate against.
    In response to your first point regarding high-risk areas and foreigners; yes, the current guidelines do recommend based on high risk areas to vaccinate against TB. However, there is always a risk that it will spread from immigrating families and contaminate an area. If we vaccinate those children, and the U.K.-born children, the risk of TB is greatly reduced and we will have taken steps to eradicate it,

To the second point on eradicated diseases; the polio vaccine contains vaccines to many other infections, as stated in the bill. There is no reason not to include polio in that vaccine. Other rare illnesses on the list, such as Rotavirus, are very infective - using RV as an example, washing your hand never wipes the disease away completely, so vaccination is far more effective.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that you're looking at it as though it's a largely innocent personal choice as opposed to a risk and harm to the child, and possibly others too.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.