Queens Speech Pt.2 watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

Queens Statement for Parliament XXVI pt. 2Queen's Speech for Parliament XXVI -2

My Lords and members of the House of Commons.

My government is fully committed to achieving a truly liberal society, both socially and economically, in which each citizen will feel that they can prosper well, moving towards a society without restrictions. My ministers desire a government that will ensure safety from hostile powers, and a government that will ensure that no stone is left unturned to allow our nation to grow without fear; without worry and with certainty as we look towards new horizons.

My government desires for a nation where there is less stress on the ordinary citizen to make ends meet, and thus, the necessary tax reforms carried out by previous ministries will continue. In addition, my government will seek to merge both Income Tax and National Insurance, aiming to improve efficiency so that the people will have a greater freedom in managing their own costs and indeed will no longer suffer from overtaxation, having the freedom to contribute to society in their own way. The United Kingdom will enter a period of revived freedoms long thought to be dormant, and to facilitate this growth my ministers see it fit that VAT is reduced across all sectors and in particular, lowered substantially for pubs. My Government will also introduce a Negative Income Tax to allow greater freedom within the welfare system, as well as simplification.

For the safety and freedom of the public, as well as ensuring confidence in our justice system , my ministers will review the current prevalence of CCTV within certain areas, and will seek to abolish the requirement for such areas to have them installed. No citizen should have to fear unnecessary surveillance where they have nothing to hide. With regards to the prison system, a clearer focus on rehabilitation is needed. To help prisoners back into society, this government shall endeavour to allow for more opportunities for them, helping them contribute to a more prosperous United Kingdom in a way which is not to the detriment of our own law abiding citizens. As such, this government is dedicated to improving the underlying social aspects that cause prisoners to reoffend. There are indications that confidence in our justice system is withering, therefore my ministers will restore faith in it by implementing policies such as ensuring that the divorce system favours neither spouse, and indeed that there will be no need to place blame upon a party for the breakdown of the marriage in order to have sufficient grounds for a divorce. Following on from that, my government pledges to review the issues surrounding rape cases which have recently made headlines, and will be committed to making the necessary changes to restore the faith of British citizens in the criminal justice system. It shall be the goal of this government to legalise Class A drugs completely, for both social and economic benefit. Drug users will no longer be isolated because of their addiction and the taxes paid on drugs shall be put towards the rehabilitation of addicts as an investment.

Health is a diverse issue within our nation, and this government recognises that there has been failure to bring our National Health Service - a service that once prided itself on excellence in the past - into modern times. For too long have citizens endured overcrowding, causing long waiting times to receive beneficial treatment, and for too long deaths which could easily have been stopped, were not. The only solution proposed in the past was to invest more into the service without reward - this government vows to end that and provide a real solution to the problem.The introduction of a NHIS based scheme would bridge the gap between national and private healthcare, where no citizen will be afraid to lose out on healthcare based on their income, wealth or social class. The government believes that healthcare is a service that is available to all, but to ensure this quality system there must be an increased choice of private healthcare providers, and that their choice can be reimbursed by authorities. This policy on healthcare, my government believes, will propel our nation as a beacon of grandeur and equality of opportunity.

Defence is a key aspect for the safety of our nation, and thus, my government will commit themselves to the NATO 2% defence budget. The United Kingdom, as a global nation, will be committed to helping our allies and preserving peace on a global scale against those with malicious intent, those desiring to upset the current balance, and those who wish to bring harm to our nation or its citizens. My government will not be held back in those regards; they will pursue diplomacy, and if necessary intervention, in order to maintain what is right in the world. Furthermore, my ministers believe that the British Peace Corps have served its purpose and will issue a timeline of withdrawal from their stationed points; after reviewing its current status it is clear that it has contributed all it can to the world. For a more global United Kingdom, my government believes this to be the appropriate course of action.

My government believes that education change is paramount to a more equal and prosperous United Kingdom. Therefore, my ministers will seek to introduce an education-voucher based scheme, to allow for more choice for parents and children transitioning into secondary education. For too long families have been restricted to where they could progress to due to social and economic backgrounds. To maximise this freedom, we seek to abolish SATs at the end of year 6 as a mandatory examination. Additionally, alongside grammar reforms we will seek to abolish the 11+ in favour of allowing different organisations to hold exams for selective admissions, as with exams taken later on in the education system. This government believes this will remove the stigma regarding the end of year 6 and at the same time, exchange the 11+ for an exam based on merit and will thus test knowledge based on the national curriculum up to the end of year 5. This will put our children in a position which maximises their choice and potential, no longer being dependent on their social background for success. A grant for more grammar schools within areas devoid of such institutions will facilitate this increase of freedom of choice, without the need of artificial management of intake through suggested quotas. My government will also seek to extend free school meals as a choice to all primary school children to ensure no child is left without receiving a balanced lunch at school. As for post-sixteen education, my government would advise an expansion of T-Levels so that there is the freedom of both practical and academic courses which will lend itself well to a growing apprenticeship choice. Finally, my government sees the general cap of '9250 as unnecessary and that it harms both universities and students alike. Therefore, the policy of removing this limit will be pursued, allowing for greater freedom for universities to charge what is required for their courses and to reach out to prospective students, encouraging greater competition between different establishments.

My government recognises that to truly become a nation of the 21st century, free trade must be defended and excessive regulation only serves to harm our own prosperity. Therefore, it is my government's policy to promote free trade and to champion the prosperity of medium and small businesses during this time, to ensure this period is not marked by the everyman being left behind. My ministers are committed to seeing that this prosperity continues into our own infrastructure, and thus sees it as a necessity to continue nuclear fusion commitments and to look into the expansion of nuclear power stations as a stepping stone towards renewables.This government therefore sees this as a policy that goes hand in hand with the gradual phasing out of petrol and diesel cars to ensure that we move towards a purely electric transport system. My government also sees the need to increase funding to MAGLEV transport and will be seeking to work on an international level to ensure the efficiency of such an expensive system when the time comes.

My ministers understand that the TV License has become a burden on many consumers and to combat this, my government will produce legislation on exemptions for both pensioners, students and those earning under the basic rate of income tax threshold. The aim is to bring the TV Licence into an increasingly digitised age and make it more appealing.

Members of the House of Commons:

Estimates for the public services are laid before you.

My Lords and Members of the House of Commons:

Other measures will be laid before you.

I pray that the blessing of the Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.

Posted by SpeakerBot
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This all seems rather mild and contradictory at times.

We see a unification of NICs and Income Tax which doesn't really achieve anything of substance
    You put the safety of the citizenry as a top priority but at the same time take away valuable tools for dealing with crime along with putting more convicted criminals on the streets
    You waffle a bit on healthcare but it almost seems like a throw money at the problem affair
    Basically say nothing on defence
    Want to rename the 11+
    Waste money on FSM for all, even those that do not need them
    Uncapping fees is, in the words of Sir Humphrey Appleby, a rather courageous move for the Liberals
    Looking to boost nuclear "as a stepping stone to renewables" which seems a little silly but okay
    Going for a token gesture of the TV licence

There is the TL;DR

ReputationRep:
    Really dont see the point of an NHIS, and nor do I support grants for grammars.

After the last government, though, I’m looking forward to seeing just how much of this gets made.

ReputationRep:
    An excellent, ambitious Queen’s Speech that outlines our direction for the country perfectly.

It was also produced faster and is of a generally higher quality than the previous Tory Queen’s Speech this term.

Jammy: Worry not about defence, the SoI has had its first draft and it’ll be with the house in the next 2 weeks is all I’ll say (to coincide with defence questions.)
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This all seems rather mild and contradictory at times.

We see a unification of NICs and Income Tax which doesn't really achieve anything of substance
    You put the safety of the citizenry as a top priority but at the same time take away valuable tools for dealing with crime along with putting more convicted criminals on the streets
    You waffle a bit on healthcare but it almost seems like a throw money at the problem affair
    Basically say nothing on defence
    Want to rename the 11+
    Waste money on FSM for all, even those that do not need them
    Uncapping fees is, in the words of Sir Humphrey Appleby, a rather courageous move for the Liberals
    Looking to boost nuclear "as a stepping stone to renewables" which seems a little silly but okay
    Going for a token gesture of the TV licence

There is the TL;DR
    As Connor has confirmed, I have left Defence with a more general idea on our approach because Connor is very keen on releasing his SoI quite quickly.
    I do not believe that we are putting more criminals on the streets with our home and justice policies, I believe it will achieve the opposite actually.
    Free School Meals offered to all primary school is something that’s quite a topic between members but this is something I believe will work.
    As I’ve said, this is not renaming the 11+, it is instead ensuring it is a more academic exam for selective school admissions and can be made possible by KS2 SATs becoming non mandatory.
    Uncapping fees removes restrictions on universities, whom default for the current limit of £9250, and promotes flexibility between institutions (I admit this has been taken from recent suggestions irl)
    TV license is something that people feel strongly about and I think this makes it more appealing in general.
    I myself am like the idea of extended nuclear power (especially since much of the world seems to have lost faith in it at times) and indeed it would be a good stepping stone whilst we have an increasing market of renewables.
    I believe this is a good Queen’s speech, it outlines our policies and it gives a flavour of our direction over the next three months
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Will there be a vote on this Queen's Speech?

ReputationRep:
    My government will seek to merge both Income Tax and National Insurance - Tory policy and in our working budget so good idea.

VAT is reduced across all sectors and in particular, lowered substantially for pubs - Tory policy and in our working budget so a good idea. The pubs thing is a liberal or libertarian idea that i would support.

Negative Income Tax - Far from sold without a comprehensive welfare review which was not present in the rejected bill. I will likely oppose this.

Reduced CCTV - I will likely oppose.

Divorce Amendment - Having already seen the bill i have already made my thoughts clear, namely that it cannot impact my own divorce bill passed a few terms ago. Amend it appropriately or i will likely oppose.

Legal Drugs - I fully hope the party will issue a 3 line Nay on the matter.

NHIS - Undecided but would potentially oppose if i were not convinced at the time.

Defense - Vague.

Education Voucher System - Strongly support however it needs to be alongside a wholesale change in structure. I doubt you'll be so ambitious.

Abolition of SATS - I tend to be opposed, i am of the opinion that standardized testing is on the whole a good thing and enables us to accurately track performance.

11+ - Pretty sure there is no legal requirement for them to have the 11+ vs admitting any way they like.

Grammar Grant - Support subject to funding.

Universal Free School Meals - Strongly opposed as i am to most aspects of universal welfare.

Further education - No objection.

Tuition Fees - A major capitulation here from the Liberals, well done libertarians.

Energy and Transport - No objection however i may oppose if you don't sufficiently fund them.

TV License - Arguably the biggest waste of money in your Queens Speech. The idea that students should have their TV viewing paid for by people like myself is offensive.

Cards on the table from myself.

ReputationRep:
    I support some of this.

Can the Prime Minister clarify that, in order to avoid it being a targeted attack on the unfortunate and destroying thousands of lives, the NIT will not seek to reduce the welfare budget?

The education policy is a complete disaster that seems calculated to set education in this country back decades and destroy our children's future. Whoever designed it should feel ashamed. Marketisation of education is moronic.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Will there be a vote on this Queen's Speech?
    No, as this is a Statement rather than an SOI
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    My government will seek to merge both Income Tax and National Insurance - Tory policy and in our working budget so good idea.

VAT is reduced across all sectors and in particular, lowered substantially for pubs - Tory policy and in our working budget so a good idea. The pubs thing is a liberal or libertarian idea that i would support.

Negative Income Tax - Far from sold without a comprehensive welfare review which was not present in the rejected bill. I will likely oppose this.

Reduced CCTV - I will likely oppose.

Divorce Amendment - Having already seen the bill i have already made my thoughts clear, namely that it cannot impact my own divorce bill passed a few terms ago. Amend it appropriately or i will likely oppose.

Legal Drugs - I fully hope the party will issue a 3 line Nay on the matter.

NHIS - Undecided but would potentially oppose if i were not convinced at the time.

Defense - Vague.

Education Voucher System - Strongly support however it needs to be alongside a wholesale change in structure. I doubt you'll be so ambitious.

Abolition of SATS - I tend to be opposed, i am of the opinion that standardized testing is on the whole a good thing and enables us to accurately track performance.

11+ - Pretty sure there is no legal requirement for them to have the 11+ vs admitting any way they like.

Grammar Grant - Support subject to funding.

Universal Free School Meals - Strongly opposed as i am to most aspects of universal welfare.

Further education - No objection.

Tuition Fees - A major capitulation here from the Liberals, well done libertarians.

Energy and Transport - No objection however i may oppose if you don't sufficiently fund them.

TV License - Arguably the biggest waste of money in your Queens Speech. The idea that students should have their TV viewing paid for by people like myself is offensive.

Cards on the table from myself.
    On Tuition Fees themselves, my own opinion has changed quite a bit over time, to the point now where I see it as a graduate tax with an implementation that actually works, so I was happy with that particular policy and I don't see it as a concession
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I support some of this.

Can the Prime Minister clarify that, in order to avoid it being a targeted attack on the unfortunate and destroying thousands of lives, the NIT will not seek to reduce the welfare budget?

The education policy is a complete disaster that seems calculated to set education in this country back decades and destroy our children's future. Whoever designed it should feel ashamed. Marketisation of education is moronic.
    👋 that would be my set of policies.
    This keeps the core of our current education principles but the fact that SATs would now be offered as a choice is a good thing, many of us agree SATs aren’t necessary and I believe the best compromise all in all is by allowing for them to exist as a product should people want it.
    I have no objections to how the removal of university tuition fees cap, fundamentally Universities should act as private entities and I personally think that the cap is unnecessary and restricts them to no avail. Higher education is a choice at the end of the day, but this wouldn’t restrict access I believe it will in fact improve accessibility to university
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    👋 that would be my set of policies.
    This keeps the core of our current education principles but the fact that SATs would now be offered as a choice is a good thing, many of us agree SATs aren’t necessary and I believe the best compromise all in all is by allowing for them to exist as a product should people want it.
    I have no objections to how the removal of university tuition fees cap, fundamentally Universities should act as private entities and I personally think that the cap is unnecessary and restricts them to no avail. Higher education is a choice at the end of the day, but this wouldn’t restrict access I believe it will in fact improve accessibility to university
    I'm fine with the SATs element. Selective schooling, including in the state sector, results in all kind of despicable processes to massage figures. To truly improve average schooling, it would be best to make it so it was impossible to differentiate schools based on quality externally.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I support some of this.

I can assure that this Government will not make the most vulnerable even more vulnerable - that is not what the NIT is about at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I can assure that this Government will not make the most vulnerable even more vulnerable - that is not what the NIT is about at all.
    The Prime Minister will acknowledge that students assuming they can make 'efficiencies' is complete nonsense and therefore any reductions in welfare costs will do exactly that?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A good start from the government and I am glad to see the Prime Minister outline our vision for the country. Over the coming weeks and months I look forward to helping my colleagues quickly get legislation and statements on the table, and furthermore I look forward to presenting my budget to the house when the time is right.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    The Prime Minister will acknowledge that students assuming they can make 'efficiencies' is complete nonsense and therefore any reductions in welfare costs will do exactly that?
    I trust my Chancellor to see that people are not adversely affected by our policy.

ReputationRep:
    I trust my Chancellor to see that people are not adversely affected by our policy.
    The House will note that, even during the Queen's Speech, the Prime Minister chooses to deflect rather than to justify the content of the speech. Not a promising start for this Government.

Also:
    Spoiler:
    Show

#nevertrustaliber

Potential double post, had some issues with TSR posting this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The House will note that, even during the Queen's Speech, the Prime Minister chooses to deflect rather than to justify the content of the speech. Not a promising start for this Government.

Also:
    Spoiler:
    Show

#nevertrustaliber

Potential double post, had some issues with TSR posting this.
    I suggest you wait to see what the government has in store. I share the concerns raised by the Prime Minister and will be working with my colleagues in government to correct the issues seen in the Welfare Modernisation Bill earlier this term. The Negative Income Tax is something this government intends to make work; please exert some patience as we begin to work on legislation in these strange times.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't, while not as dogmatic as other, particularly former, members of his party he remains guilty of taking the lazy approach and as such I expect incomplete research and fudged figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    I suggest you wait to see what the government has in store. I share the concerns raised by the Prime Minister and will be working with my colleagues in government to correct the issues seen in the Welfare Modernisation Bill earlier this term. The Negative Income Tax is something this government intends to make work; please exert some patience as we begin to work on legislation in these strange times.
    Do you recognise having a goal of reducing the welfare budget is a fundamental issue?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.