Tension in a light inextensible string M1 Watch

usuallymathshelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,
Basically on a past paper questions I am doing the question says:
Smooth bead B, is threaded on a light inextensible string. The end of the string attached to two fixed points A and C on the same horizontal level. The bead is held in equilibrium by horizontal force of magnitude 6N acting parallel to AC. The bead B is vertically below C and Angle BAC = a. Given that tana = 3/4. Find the tension in the string.

Please can someone highlight to me which of this wording allows me to presume that the tension is the same in both parts of the string.

Is it the wording ‘ light inextensible string’? As I have presumed when doing my working I can see no other way to work this one out.

Regards.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by usuallymathshelp)
Hi,
Basically on a past paper questions I am doing the question says:
Smooth bead B, is threaded on a light inextensible string. The end of the string attached to two fixed points A and C on the same horizontal level. The bead is held in equilibrium by horizontal force of magnitude 6N acting parallel to AC. The bead B is vertically below C and Angle BAC = a. Given that tana = 3/4. Find the tension in the string.

Please can someone highlight to me which of this wording allows me to presume that the tension is the same in both parts of the string.

Is it the wording ‘ light inextensible string’? As I have presumed when doing my working I can see no other way to work this one out.

Regards.
The bead is threaded on the string - i.e. not fixed - and the bead is smooth.

These tell you the tension is the same in both parts.
usuallymathshelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
The bead is threaded on the string - i.e. not fixed - and the bead is smooth.

These tell you the tension is the same in both parts.
Thank you. Please could you explain why because I thought that being smooth simply meant there was no friction. Thank you for your help.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by usuallymathshelp)
Thank you. Please could you explain why because I thought that being smooth simply meant there was no friction. Thank you for your help.
Being smooth does mean there is no friction.

How can the tension be different in the two parts? By a force acting along the string. Where would that force come from? Friction, or the bead being fixed to the string and pulled.

So, not fixed and smooth implies tension is the same in both parts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise