Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I missed my AAA offer with A*A*BB and didn't get in. I was gutted as I missed out on the last A by less than 1 UMS point but it was what it was. I missed my grade and others got more consistent grades. I'd guess if there were many places left after the people meeting offers I'd have likely got one but there obviously wasn't. That's life. The uni made an offer and while I did try and target my revision appropriately (I worked waaay harder on subject 3) I didn't manage it. I don't think going from an A->A* in Psychology was equivalent to ahcieving an B->A in Mathematics.
    imperial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Sorry, I should have said equivalent.

What's your opinion on someone being declined for an A*AA maths course, having A*A* in Maths and Further Maths, but a B in Music(happened on this forum)?
    I find it less likely that in that particular instance they would be rejected, if it were a B in a relevant subject they’d gotten. That’s an example of where the B grade wouldn’t be as big of an issue (although as you’ve said, it did still happen)

But I guess A-Level grades in general are about proving how you’ve split yourself across your subjects. So it’s not necessarily that you’d need an A in Music for a Maths degree - But it’s showing you’re able to work for it. Make sense?

It’s just how it works. You don’t meet your offer, but somebody else will.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    A*A*B means you partially understand one subject whilst you understand the other two subjects perfectly. A*AA means you understand all your subjects to a high degree. Very different!

Its quite a shallow observation but elite universities get wayyy more applications than there are places so they afford to be superficial about things like that. Though if you have extenuating circumstances they will see A*A*B = A*AA. I've seen a few cambridge folk with AAB.
    The UK university curriculum is based upon perfect understanding within a subject, yet the contrary is argued on entry reqs often. I don't like the consistency argument because it's reasoning is arbitrary - it's still the same tariff score and it takes a comparable amount of effort as a result and the A* grade has a large drop off in attainment after A grade for most facilitating subjects. It's going to be easier for A*A*B to improve to an A than an A*AA to get another A*, so then you can make that argument that the former has more potential. Also, why does B = partial understanding but A = high degree of understanding, often theres less than a grade worth of UMS between them for a lot of applicants?

What's even stranger is people getting rejected for A*A*B offers with A*AA. So it's basically your university's opinion which one is better

I give up. I would've just used a minimum tariff from 3 A Levels and specified a minimum tariff score for certain subjects, but it's whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    I find it less likely that in that particular instance they would be rejected, if it were a B in a relevant subject they’d gotten. That’s an example of where the B grade wouldn’t be as big of an issue (although as you’ve said, it did still happen)

But I guess A-Level grades in general are about proving how you’ve split yourself across your subjects. So it’s not necessarily that you’d need an A in Music for a Maths degree - But it’s showing you’re able to work for it. Make sense?

It’s just how it works. You don’t meet your offer, but somebody else will.
    I remember a few medical schools used to accept A*AB for AAA but that seems to have been done away too.

I think as you say, it's just about conditions; a family friend is an academic whose engineering programme is A*AA, and he thinks that A*A*B with A*A* in physics and maths is more impressive, than A*AA, but they decline just to make admin easier.

I believe for Cambridge NatSci a fair few got A*A*AB offers, meaning that if you got A*AAA, you would get declined.

My gripe is getting top grades in relevant subjects but being declined because of a B in something unrelated, but obviously you're bound to conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a few medical schools used to accept A*AB for AAA but that seems to have been done away too.

I think as you say, it's just about conditions; a family friend is an academic whose engineering programme is A*AA, and he thinks that A*A*B with A*A* in physics and maths is more impressive, than A*AA, but they decline just to make admin easier.

I believe for Cambridge NatSci a fair few got A*A*AB offers, meaning that if you got A*AAA, you would get declined.

My gripe is getting top grades in relevant subjects but being declined because of a B in something unrelated, but obviously you're bound to conditions.
    Yeah, It’s a tricky one between whether or not that AAA is neccessary to show you’ve got a good understanding of all subjects, time commitments etc. Or if really if you get a B in a subject that’s unrelated, should it make a difference?

I had a friend who’s offer for Law was AAB and who got A*A*C but was actually still rejected because her C was in History (other two were psychology and sociology) and History was considered more of a priority essay subject for Law. Again, hugely subjective!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Yeah, It’s a tricky one between whether or not that AAA is neccessary to show you’ve got a good understanding of all subjects, time commitments etc. Or if really if you get a B in a subject that’s unrelated, should it make a difference?

I had a friend who’s offer for Law was AAB and who got A*A*C but was actually still rejected because her C was in History (other two were psychology and sociology) and History was considered more of a priority essay subject for Law. Again, hugely subjective!
    Yeah, always see History A Level among lawyers.

Still confused about how someone gets an A* in Sociology, but a C in History :/

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it's whatever the uni wants and A*A*BB>AAA. AAA in 4 A Level form is AABB.

They just can't be assed more than anything

Also, what course at what uni? I feel like I see so many people getting into medicine, law/top unis while missing offers
    Durham - natural sciences, yeah I have no idea... I had extenuating circumstances as well but was rejected within a few hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    imperial?
    Durham

ReputationRep:
    The grades at A level are a bit like the signs at a fairground "You must be this tall to ride this attraction". They measure a specific attribute. Imagine a ride with more than one criterion - where you must be 1.8m and have £3 for the ticket. Being 1.9m won't compensate for you only having £2. Having £5 won't compensate for being 1.7m. With the rides, this is obvious but the situation with the A levels lends itself to confusion because the three measurements are on the same scale - but the offer is "AAA or better", not "144 tariff points or more".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TyroneCrudis)
    The grades at A level are a bit like the signs at a fairground "You must be this tall to ride this attraction". They measure a specific attribute. Imagine a ride with more than one criterion - where you must be 1.8m and have £3 for the ticket. Being 1.9m won't compensate for you only having £2. Having £5 won't compensate for being 1.7m. With the rides, this is obvious but the situation with the A levels lends itself to confusion because the three measurements are on the same scale - but the offer is "AAA or better", not "144 tariff points or more".
    This is a very good analogy, except that A*A*B would be better under the typical definition. I guess they'd use more specific wording

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Durham - natural sciences, yeah I have no idea... I had extenuating circumstances as well but was rejected within a few hours
    Lol wtf.

I can understand there being an agreement for conditions.

But when you get better grades overall, and have had mitigation too, to still be rejected is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Lol wtf.

I can understand there being an agreement for conditions.

But when you get better grades overall, and have had mitigation too, to still be rejected is ridiculous.
    TBF I got A* in Psychology and Sociology - both soft A levels. I got a B (albeit only just) in Mathematics, a much harder subject. The last A level was Art so not really relevant for a NatSci degree. The most relevant subject was probably Mathematics which is probably why I was rejected. Or could just be they happened to fill their quota for places that year. I think it's a pretty popular course as you can pick modules from many different subjects and basically build your own degree. Who knows. I'm not bitter about it as I had a great time at uni, was very happy and made some good friends and met my partner of 7 years. I also had some good career opportunities as a result.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.