Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, what it says on the tin, can I join the RAF as a pilot if I am slightly short sighted(just under 20/20). Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds like something you could have Googled. But no, RAF pilots aren't allowed to wear glasses and surgery such as laser eye will almost certainly also disqualify you from the position. Other roles may allow it but for pilots it's a no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blesstheson)
    Basically, what it says on the tin, can I join the RAF as a pilot if I am slightly short sighted(just under 20/20). Thanks
    It's not a simple yes no question.

There are eyesight standards, but the minimum standard for pilot isn't 20/20, it's actually a little lower, so it depends a lot on your prescription.

However, just listing your prescription here won't get you an answer, because the eyesight test they need covers a lot of different criteria that isn't normally tested.

The only way you'll know is by applying, getting an optician to fill out the eyesight form, and then seeing what the medical says.

(Original post by Acsel)
    Sounds like something you could have Googled. But no, RAF pilots aren't allowed to wear glasses and surgery such as laser eye will almost certainly also disqualify you from the position. Other roles may allow it but for pilots it's a no
    Not true anymore. Used to be the case, but standards changed ~5 or so years ago.

Laser eye surgery isn't the automatic no it once was. They ask you to be a minimum amount of time post-procedure and it can only a certain type of surgery, but it's perfectly fine for service.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.flying-start.org/age-18-t...-requirements/

Do contact the RAF (or ask a recruiter) about your eligibilty to apply.

ReputationRep:
    OP, for more general RAF queries use the armed forces careers forum. You'll find a lot more information there.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.