Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could Airstrikes against Russia work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Stealth bombers if the RAF have any and if not they could attack Russia’s western county of Kaliningrad from bases in Poland. It’s not that far.
    Well, just make sure the pilots have updated their wills.

Frankly they would likely have more joy bombing in the trench on the Death Star.

You are also being a bit cavalier re the likely retaliation, Faslane is only about 70 miles from here and I fancied growing some strawberries in the garden this summer, ash will not be a great growing medium.

I think I would more concentrate on us picking on the little kids rather than taking a pop at Mad Vlad in sixth year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Cant say the same. I have to assume troll as the other option is too depressing.
    Just take a look through his previous threads. They're all utterly insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotQuiteMikeRoss)
    I second this plan, and may I suggest we send James Bond to assassinate Putin?
    Not Bond, send in Johnny English.

ReputationRep:
    Freezing Russian assets in the UK and closing down RT today would be a better first step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    And then they retaliate. Brilliant idea /sarcasm
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    And they will retaliate.

Sure, the chemical attacks are despicable, but your Airstrike plan will create more problems that it will solve.
    But if the RAF attacks Russia from bases in Poland or the Baltic states which are right next to Russia then at worst any retaliation will be against the source of the air attacks. Russia has a lot further to travel to Britain because Russia don’t have airbases close to Britain.

But it’s not likely to come to retaliation by Russia the whole idea is to give Putin a shock and more likely we’ll all be evens.

ReputationRep:
    But if the RAF attacks Russia from bases in Poland or the Baltic states which are right next to Russia then at worst any retaliation will be against the source of the air attacks. Russia has a lot further to travel to Britain because Russia don’t have airbases close to Britain.

But it’s not likely to come to retaliation by Russia the whole idea is to give Putin a shock and more likely we’ll all be evens.
    Kid, just stop.

Give your two braincells a rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    I'm only fairly certain of this, but I don't think the Russian military shuts down at night time.

There might still be some personnel on base when we bombed them.
    Then maybe just attack runways, taxiways and supply routes and their aircraft. Often they are probably left out in the open at night and with laser guided weapons we avoid striking people.

Also attack electricity pylons etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No.
    Why? Because attacking a country that has a far superior nuclear arsenal and military capacity is never a good idea. Also what would we gain by attacking Russia other than a broken trade relationship and an angry country wanting to destroy us.

As Erwin Rommel once said " Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything from winning"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

So if the RAF attacks Russia from Poland, it's somehow not the UK? But that's fine because the Russians would have a long way to fly and they wouldn't possibly do that. If only there were some sort of missile that could be launched.

Seriously if you want to troll, do a better job of it

ReputationRep:
    If you think we could deter Russia, you must need serious help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Seriously if you want to troll, do a better job of it
    Take a look through this idiot's post history. He doesn't learn.

ReputationRep:
    no
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Take a look through this idiot's post history. He doesn't learn.
    I can't say I'm surprised. TSR never changes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    If you think we could deter Russia, you must need serious help.
    We beat Nazi Germany in WW2
    We beat Napoleon

The difference is we are not wanting a war, we just want to give Putin a shock then we can be evens. Then we negotiate. No more air attacks after that. I’m sure it will work.

ReputationRep:
    We beat Napoleon

The difference is we are not wanting a war, we just want to give Putin a shock then we can be evens. Then we negotiate. No more air attacks after that. I’m sure it will work.
    You haven't got the sense you were born with, give it a rest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No of course not.
    Firstly Russia has one of, if not the, most advanced integrated air defence system in the world and would simply blow our planes out of the sky before they got anywhere near anything interesting.
    Secondly they have an immeasurably bigger stick with which to bash us back with. Personally i'd rather not see Russian thermonuclear bombs raining down across the British isles because some oik thought it would be smart to bomb them first.

As tey say, sometimes the bigger they are the harder they kick your ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    What exactly is difficult about this? Sure, airstrikes could stop it. They could also result in far more attacks. Having a bigger stick can be effective. Using your stick to poke a hornets nest probably won't go so well though. The answer is not to further piss off the people attacking you, especially when they prove what lengths they'll go to.

Also probably best not to speculate on these sorts of things. We can all think one way or the other but it's not responsible to suggest attacks on a country without actual proof. Luckily the general public doesn't get to decide these things
    It's RUSSIA. Airstrikes to them would be comparable to the annoyance of a fly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

It's not like Russia doesnt have dozens of missiles that can reach the UK in minutes :rolleyes:
    We beat Napoleon
    Neither of them had nuclear missiles.
    We dont want a war aye? How else would you describe bombing someone it is literally a cassus belli :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How do you dream up this garbage?

No air strikes would be close to a declaration of war and supported by no one

You seem to forget that Russia is the second largest nuclear power..
    It also has one of the largest armed forces in the world.

Your examiners are in for a treat this summer.
    I dont disagree with your point but according to the FAS the Russians have a bigger arsenal these days.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Napp)
    I dont disagree with your point but according to the FAS the Russians have a bigger arsenal these days.
    Ok will take your word for it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.