Turn on thread page Beta

Could Airstrikes against Russia work? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    But if the RAF attacks Russia from bases in Poland or the Baltic states which are right next to Russia then at worst any retaliation will be against the source of the air attacks. Russia has a lot further to travel to Britain because Russia don’t have airbases close to Britain.

But it’s not likely to come to retaliation by Russia the whole idea is to give Putin a shock and more likely we’ll all be evens.
    You do realise on a yearly basis the Russians buzz our airspace with bombers just to see what we'd do? Planes these days are fancy things, they can go quite a distance, and the Russian ones would have little issue flattening our entire country.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Russia. Leave us alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    You do realise on a yearly basis the Russians buzz our airspace with bombers just to see what we'd do? Planes these days are fancy things, they can go quite a distance, and the Russian ones would have little issue flattening our entire country.
    Sounds like a lot of effort when all they have to do is push a button wait a little under an hour and see the British isles dissappear under a mushroom cloud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Could airstrikes stop Russia from chemical attacks on Salisbury and Britain?

If Russian military bases, air bases and stetegic sites are attacked could that stop Putin doing these things?

The US attacked Syria for using chemical weapons last year so why not attack Russia.

The only problem is do we really want to alienate Russia when they could be our only friends in Europe after Brexit. It’s difficult.
    Yes let's start another war, great idea. (Sarcasm)

No, let's not put out an airstrike, that would be a dumb move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irman.g)
    I'm from Russia. Leave us alone.
    Leave you alone? Happily, no one with a brain cell would agree with attacking Russia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineWills)
    Leave you alone? Happily, no one with a brain cell would agree with attacking Russia.
    No, leave us alone, in general. Media portrayal etc. was what I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    No, leave us alone, in general. Media portrayal etc. was what I'm saying.
    That's the media, not us normal people.

But we are in a first world country, I'm not sure what Russia is like, I know nothing about the place, but our media only reports big stories like what happened with this Russian double agent, I'm sure our media will move on soon enough though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineWills)
    That's the media, not us normal people.

But we are in a first world country, I'm not sure what Russia is like, I know nothing about the place, but our media only reports big stories like what happened with this Russian double agent, I'm sure our media will move on soon enough though.
    I'm from Belgium, but have Russian origin. Russia is a beautiful country.
    And yes, hopefully they will.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Belgium, but have Russian origin. Russia is a beautiful country.
    And yes, hopefully they will.
    Ah okay, I've been to Belgium, would definitely go back

ReputationRep:
    mi6 should just leak the details of all of Putin and his cronies assets.

What they own, how much they bought it for etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)

You again 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)

Why? It's his money. He can buy and sell whatever he wants. Why should that be publicized?
    Some people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3721342)
    Ah okay, I've been to Belgium, would definitely go back
    Really? What were you doing here?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, this is the stupidest thing I've read all day.. actually it may be the dumbest thing I've read so far this year. Do you think Russia is just some third world nation who can't strike back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Sounds like a lot of effort when all they have to do is push a button wait a little under an hour and see the British isles dissappear under a mushroom cloud.
    Yea, but conventional bombing can leave a place in a much more habitable state.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, but conventional bombing can leave a place in a much more habitable state.
    That presupposes the Russians care about such trifling niceties.

This is also ignoring the fact Russia has no real means of conventionally bombing the UK. Its planes would be easy to find and down whatever route they took to the UK whilst no one has any reliable means to shoot down a ballistic missile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    That presupposes the Russians care about such trifling niceties.

This is also ignoring the fact Russia has no real means of conventionally bombing the UK. Its planes would be easy to find and down whatever route they took to the UK whilst no one has any reliable means to shoot down a ballistic missile
    I assume they'd care, because chances are if they wipe out the British population they'd move in themselves. Not suggesting they'd do it for our benefit. And I doubt the Russian airforce would have much trouble overwhelming our emergency response.

ReputationRep:
    I assume they'd care, because chances are if they wipe out the British population they'd move in themselves. Not suggesting they'd do it for our benefit. And I doubt the Russian airforce would have much trouble overwhelming our emergency response.
    The Russians cant even fill Russia, why would they want to try and colonize Britain?

Maybe not but you're forgetting they'd have to fly over NATO territory be it land or sea to get here and they would not get through that. Not to mention despite the pitiful state of the RAF and RN they're still armed with some fairly cutting edge kit which still holds an edge over the limited quantities of new Russian equipment. The T-45 for instance [assuming it didnt break down] is a formidable air defense weapon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    The Russians cant even fill Russia, why would they want to try and colonize Britain?

Maybe not but you're forgetting they'd have to fly over NATO territory be it land or sea to get here and they would not get through that. Not to mention despite the pitiful state of the RAF and RN they're still armed with some fairly cutting edge kit which still holds an edge over the limited quantities of new Russian equipment. The T-45 for instance [assuming it didnt break down] is a formidable air defense weapon.
    They literally fly bombers to our airspace on a yearly basis; they have no problem getting their planes here. And our position is of pretty strong strategic use, especially against the USA. Not to mention North Sea oil etc that I'm sure they'd rather have than let someone else take it.

ReputationRep:
    Do you realise how big Russia is? Oh and it wouldn't just be Russia... China and other big nuclear powers would get involved. This is like saying 'Could a 50kg karate kid beat a group of 140kg strongmen'

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.