Working out the formula of a compound

Watch this thread
lucubration
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How do you work out the formula of a compound? For example how do you work out the fact that the formula of barium sulfate is BaSO₄? I get how to do it for simple ionic compounds because you can balance the charges but how do you do it for something like this?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucubration)
How do you work out the formula of a compound? For example how do you work out the fact that the formula of barium sulfate is BaSO₄? I get how to do it for simple ionic compounds because you can balance the charges but how do you do it for something like this?
You have to learn the formula including the ionic charge of the most common polyatomic ions.

In your barium sulfate example you have barium ions (simple ion from group 2) Ba2+ ...

... and the sulfate ion - a common polyatomic ion derived from sulfuric acid, SO42-

You construct the formula by balancing the ionic charges. In this case they are already balanced so you need one barium for each sulfate, BaSO4
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (113)
40.79%
They're exactly what I expected (66)
23.83%