Turn on thread page Beta

Should a rape alarm be "sufficient"? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J...H)
    Dude chill just be aware of your surroundings when you're out at night and you'll be fine. We live in the UK not Aleppo lmao
    Right. So I shouldn't be concerned about the fact that a girl was raped on my road last month? I don't even know if the person was caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 433433)
    Right. So I shouldn't be concerned about the fact that a girl was raped on my road last month? I don't even know if the person was caught.
    I'm sorry if I seemed flippant, I get why you're upset but statistically speaking it's just very unlikely to happen to you.
    You say she was coming back from a night out and therefore was probably in a more vulnerable state than usual, so if you keep your wits about you at least until you're certain the rapist has been apprehended then that'll be enough to ensure your safety without restricting your own freedoms or resorting to weapons

ReputationRep:
    I think minimising the distance, walking assertively, being vigilant and legal aids like a loud rape alarm are the best bet. Although it doesn't completely eliminate risk I personally would not be prepared to give up walking alone after dark. A self defence course might have some good tips too. Illegal weapons present a risk of being used against you or provoking more aggression or possibly being prosecuted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J...H)
    I'm sorry if I seemed flippant, I get why you're upset but statistically speaking it's just very unlikely to happen to you.
    You say she was coming back from a night out and therefore was probably in a more vulnerable state than usual, so if you keep your wits about you at least until you're certain the rapist has been apprehended then that'll be enough to ensure your safety without restricting your own freedoms or resorting to weapons
    Yeah perhaps unlikely. But it did make me think how if I was walking home that night (which like I said is something I often have to do), it could have been me that was attacked. I don't know if she was drunk or not but either way it happens to sober girls as well.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t walk with headphones in as you can’t be as aware of surroundings and easier to attack.
    Ask your friend to keep in contact and make sure you get home and if you disappear come up with a plan on what they’d do. Personally i have turned my snapmaps on before, sounds odd, but people can find your location if needs be.
    I live in a really rough area (although in reality it can happen anywhere) and walk home alone at night usually and do these things 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what actually happened? Most people are raped by someone they know. You're more likely to be raped by the guy walking you home than by a stranger.

Try not to worry too much because the chances are you should be fine. If you want to stay safe them a rape alarm helps but the best thing you can do is just stay aware - don't walk home absolutely plastered, don't stumble around, don't wear headphones etc. Having shoes you can move in properly is also a help. You can also learn a few self defense moves if possible. And let someone know exactly what time you'll be home e.g. you could text your friend as you walk in the door - then she knows there is something wrong if she doesn't have a text in 10 mins. But remember most of this is to make you feel safer, it probably won't be necessary.

Also on the council estate front - if there are big groups near the shops chances are that's a good thing and those people would help you if you needed it, imagine if you feel scared and there's someone between you and your home... you know there are people by that shop, you don't have to knock on doors or try and run as far as a main road

ReputationRep:
    Great Manchester Police produced a useful guide to walking alone and a 60 second video - well worth a peek. Apparently many people report that their attacker came from nowhere, but GMP ask if that really is the case? If you are vigilant and aware of your surroundings then you're in a much better position to spot a possible threat before it escalates. Stay switched on. Great Manchester Police have compiled some simple safety tips to help you be alert to possible threats to your personal safety on you tube

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.