Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got an English assessment that I have to write an argument for or against for this statement: "The killing of Candy's dog can never be justified; it was a completely selfish act by Carlson. It is never okay to end a life."
    Please help and give ideas. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian Auyeung)
    Got an English assessment that I have to write an argument for or against for this statement: "The killing of Candy's dog can never be justified; it was a completely selfish act by Carlson. It is never okay to end a life."
    Please help and give ideas. Thank you
    Well I would make a list of reasons to kill his dog and reasons not to.

Reasons to kill the dog:

It could have been in pain
    Didn't have a good quality of life
    etc

Reasons not to kill the dog:

Candy didn't really want to kill it
    Candy loved the dog
    Carlson claimed he killed the dog because he was old, smelly and no good, suggesting he was killing the dog for his own personal reasons, rather than for the good of the dog.
    etc

Sorry this is really bad... I am crap at English but have finished reading that book recently in class.

Spoiler:
    Show

Am I really procrastinating doing my English homework by helping someone else out with English? xD

ReputationRep:
    I did this way back in Year 10 under the general theme of euthanasia. If only I still had my books...
    Anyhow, some brief arguments for and against:

For:
    1) There is no right to live so why should anyone (human or animal) require a separate right to die?
    2) If one (human or animal) is in pain or suffering from an incurable illness (as is the case of Candy's dog who is stiff and rheumatic), what's the point in them living if they're not going to get better?

Against:
    1) It should be up to the individual whether or not they want to be euthanised. The dog can't speak for itself so it didn't have a say in whether or not it wanted to remain alive.
    2) Candy's dog was obviously precious to Candy and was the only valuable possession that remained of his. It's understandable why Candy didn't want him to die.

Sorry I couldn't provide more suggestions but I haven't got my books anymore and it's been about two years since I last read OMAM so...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Well I would make a list of reasons to kill his dog and reasons not to.

Reasons to kill the dog:

It could have been in pain
    Didn't have a good quality of life
    etc

Reasons not to kill the dog:

Candy didn't really want to kill it
    Candy loved the dog
    Carlson claimed he killed the dog because he was old, smelly and no good, suggesting he was killing the dog for his own personal reasons, rather than for the good of the dog.
    etc

Sorry this is really bad... I am crap at English but have finished reading that book recently in class.

Spoiler:
    Show

Am I really procrastinating doing my English homework by helping someone else out with English? xD

Thanks hahaha!! And yeah same I'm watching youtube and online shopping while kind of doing homework but yeah thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.