The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When did you reach this conclusion? Because if you've only reached it now, you've taken your time.
Original post by Lit teacher
You said 'most of the time'. That's not true. They occasionally gave phone warnings about bombs that had been planted, but often these were deliberately vague and only a short time before detonation. In some cases the warnings resulted in more people being injured through being evacuated into a danger area.

If you want to conveniently ignore our much more deadly history of terrorism and just focus on recent events, you're going to need to face the fact that the far right is now a growing terrorist threat in the UK. We've had an MP murdered, the Finsbury Park murder, the attempted murder of a Muslim woman hit by a car, a foiled plot to attack a gay nightclub and another plot to murder MP Rosie Cooper, not to mention the doubling of attacks on Mosques in 2017.

The UK's senior counter-terrorism officer stated recently:
“I see extremists from Islamist and far-right persuasions both executing a common strategy” by exploiting existing grievances in target communities, generating distrust of state institutions and then “offering warped parallel alternatives”
“This helps create the isolated, fearful setting for terrorists to step into whether that’s in person or online to inspire often vulnerable people to carry out attacks. Ironically, while Islamist and extreme right-wing ideologies may appear to be at opposing ends of the argument, it is evident that they both have a great deal in common."

While I have never seen a post on TSR with the sort of anti-Western rhetoric used to build a climate of hatred and fear that might lead someone to extreme Islamic terrorism, the same cannot be true of the right-wing extremists who sometimes post here.

More people have been killed in one Islamist attack than all of the ones you mentioned added together by those supposed right wingers.

Also it wasn’t my choice to talk about this century I was replying to others that were.

I don’t see any point discussing terrorist before the 21st century seeing as we are now 18 years in.
Reply 302
Original post by Wired_1800
I don't agree with you. I strongly believe that countries need to do more to support the refugees by accepting more. Whilst it is regrettable that there were some bad apples, it is ridiculous (borderline stupid) to throw away that whole basket because of it. People would use these small stories to shield their racist views.

The issue is not the people but lack of adequate integration. People are just dumped into towns and cities and left to hack it on their own. More needs to be down.

I think the UK has failed in its obligations as a world leader. Just like Germany and the Scandi countries, we need to do more.

We have no obligation to take in refugees- so if we take any at all that's a good thing. The United Nations Geneva convention states that refugees should seek asylum in the nearest safe country which is Turkey in most instances with Syrian refugees so we are within our rights to take zero. Sweden have said they regret taking the refugees

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4396224/Sweden-never-mass-immigration-PM-says.html
Original post by Stewpid
We have no obligation to take in refugees- so if we take any at all that's a good thing. The United Nations Geneva convention states that refugees should seek asylum in the nearest safe country which is Turkey in most instances with Syrian refugees so we are within our rights to take zero. Sweden have said they regret taking the refugees

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4396224/Sweden-never-mass-immigration-PM-says.html

There are both legal and moral obligations. Legal obligations are set for neighbouring countries which Turkey and Jordan are doing with the millions in their countries.

Moral obligation is set for developed or leading countries to do more by taking in vulnerable people as well. This occured when Britain took in many Jews as part of the kinder-transport from East Europe after WW2. Also when the US took in many British people and other Europeans in WW1 and part of the Marshall Plan in WW2.

Some people try to hide their racism and xenophobia with small stories about refugees and migrants. It is sad, but this has happened before racism and hatred of the other have been part of the British DNA for decades.
Reply 304
There are both legal and moral obligations. Legal obligations are set for neighbouring countries which Turkey and Jordan are doing with the millions in their countries.

Moral obligation is set for developed or leading countries to do more by taking in vulnerable people as well. This occured when Britain took in many Jews as part of the kinder-transport from East Europe after WW2. Also when the US took in many British people and other Europeans in WW1 and part of the Marshall Plan in WW2.

Some people try to hide their racism and xenophobia with small stories about refugees and migrants. It is sad, but this has happened before racism and hatred of the other have been part of the British DNA for decades.

We have no moral obligation either. All this is Barack Obama's fault he armed the Syrian rebels to fight Assad which became ISIS. USA and Russia should take the lion share morally. But my opinion is as soon as they pass the first safe country they become economic migrants
Original post by Stewpid
We have no moral obligation either. All this is Barack Obama's fault he armed the Syrian rebels to fight Assad which became ISIS. USA and Russia should take the lion share morally. But my opinion is as soon as they pass the first safe country they become economic migrants

I agree that the US and the West is to blame for destabilising countries like Iraq, Yemen and Syria. However, I do not think it make sense to judge people as economic migrants.

Some young women in fear of being sexually assaulted may want a safer nation than Turkey. I dont think you will be happy to have your daughter to be in Turkey when Erdogan and the Muslim Brotherhood are in power.
Reply 306
I agree that the US and the West is to blame for destabilising countries like Iraq, Yemen and Syria. However, I do not think it make sense to judge people as economic migrants.

Some young women in fear of being sexually assaulted may want a safer nation than Turkey. I dont think you will be happy to have your daughter to be in Turkey when Erdogan and the Muslim Brotherhood are in power.

Most Syrians are Muslim anyway
Original post by Stewpid
Most Syrians are Muslim anyway

That is the ignorance. There are different types of Muslims. Just putting everyone together is both stupid and reckless. This is the ignorance that many Western leaders have had and don't understand about the dynamics of the Middle East.

In addition, there has to be more care for women and young people. There will be an outcry if a 15 year old white British girl was found trying to fleeing persecution, but strangely it is okay for a 13 year old Syrian or Yazidi even though we know that they are being used as sex slaves and treated in appalling conditions.

So you agree there is no legal obligation, good.

Morals are different to different people based on their beliefs, obviously we don’t think it is our moral duty.

Kinder transport was before WW2
Not that many people went to the USA in WWI
And Britain wasn’t part of the Marshall aid plan after WW2

Not that any of that matters or is relevant.

Ooo called racist and a xenophobic, thanks I’ll wear those badges with pride, once they are thrown out you know it’s because the other side lost.

Those words have lost all value because of people like you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 309
That is the ignorance. There are different types of Muslims. Just putting everyone together is both stupid and reckless. This is the ignorance that many Western leaders have had and don't understand about the dynamics of the Middle East.

In addition, there has to be more care for women and young people. There will be an outcry if a 15 year old white British girl was found trying to fleeing persecution, but strangely it is okay for a 13 year old Syrian or Yazidi even though we know that they are being used as sex slaves and treated in appalling conditions.

We are a hated nation. Hated but rated. The Koran promotes raping children with Aisha/Mohammed.

If we are going to be taking in refugees I would only take in when men and children- especially if they’re non Sunni’s.

As it is though we are mainly taking in young military age men from Sunni backgrounds.
I thought it was a country?

It's not a very funny joke.

Yet we send our daughters on holiday there, hmmmm. 😂

Yea Sunni and Shi’a and these are Sunni.

Stop building straw men in your posts as they keep getting blown away
Original post by Stewpid
We are a hated nation. Hated but rated. The Koran promotes raping children with Aisha/Mohammed.

That is not true
Original post by paul514
Yea Sunni and Shi’a and these are Sunni.

Stop building straw men in your posts as they keep getting blown away

There are different sects and groups. Clumming people together is reckless.

Original post by paul514
Yet we send our daughters on holiday there, hmmmm. 😂

I was talking about the outrage that will result from one of our girls in such a situation.

Original post by Davij038
If we are going to be taking in refugees I would only take in when men and children- especially if they’re non Sunni’s.

As it is though we are mainly taking in young military age men from Sunni backgrounds.

That is not true though. That is what the media is portraying but we are taking in more women and children

Original post by paul514
So you agree there is no legal obligation, good.

Morals are different to different people based on their beliefs, obviously we don’t think it is our moral duty.

Kinder transport was before WW2
Not that many people went to the USA in WWI
And Britain wasn’t part of the Marshall aid plan after WW2

Not that any of that matters or is relevant.

Ooo called racist and a xenophobic, thanks I’ll wear those badges with pride, once they are thrown out you know it’s because the other side lost.

Those words have lost all value because of people like you.

We would expect other nations to step up, if we were in the same position.
We would expect other nations to step up, if we were in the same position.

But we aren’t and won’t be.
Original post by paul514
But we aren’t and won’t be.

Careful what you wish for.
Careful what you wish for.

Be careful what you warn people about 🧐
lauren southern is a 2 faced pig

Latest

Trending

Trending