Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ∫(sin²2x)(tan2x)dx, u = cos2x

1.differentiated u then replaced dx with du/-sin2x
    2.changed sin²2x to 1 - cos²2x
    3. changed tan2x with sin2x/cos2x

simplified and i got (cos2x)²/2 - in(cos2x) +c but the answer in the book is (cos2x)²/4 - in(cos2x)/2 +c

i think my mistake is got to do with the 2x in the functions
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by man111111)
    ∫(sin²2x)(tan2x)dx, u = cos2x

1.differentiated u then replaced dx with du/-sin2x
    but dx = \dfrac{du}{-2\sin(2x)}...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    but dx = \dfrac{du}{-2\sin(2x)}...
    thanks im stuck on this question ∫ 2/e^2x+4 dx , u = e^2x+4

1.differentiated u then replaced dx with du/2e^2x
    2.changed e^2x+4 to u
    3. simplified to get ∫1/(u)(u-4)du then i said this is equal to in((u)(u-4)) but this is no where near the answer in the book
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanks im stuck on this question ∫ 2/e^2x+4 dx , u = e^2x+4

1.differentiated u then replaced dx with du/2e^2x
    2.changed e^2x+4 to u
    3. simplified to get ∫1/(u)(u-4)du then i said this is equal to in((u)(u-4)) but this is no where near the answer in the book
    What's your reason behind saying that \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{u(u-4)}.du = \ln (u(u-4))? This is important to get out the way before you make this common silly mistake more and more.

ReputationRep:
    What's your reason behind saying that \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{u(u-4)}.du = \ln (u(u-4))? This is important to get out the way before you make this common silly mistake more and more.
    i forgot to say that after this i replaced the u with e^2x+4
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i forgot to say that after this i replaced the u with e^2x+4
    Ok... but that doesn't answer my question to you..

ReputationRep:
    Ok... but that doesn't answer my question to you..
    so what i have understood from my teacher is that when 1 is the numerator then you can integrate it to In(denominator)

this is the reason for why i have said that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    so what i have understood from my teacher is that when 1 is the numerator then you can integrate it to In(denominator)
    That's not correct, might want to follow that up with your teacher.
    By that reasoning, we get that \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x^2}.dx = \ln(x^2) +c but we also get that \displaystyle \int x^{-2}.dx = -x^{-1} + c so the two RHS's are equal, when they're actually not.

The only time you integrate into log is by the following proposition: \displaystyle \int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} .dx = \ln |f(x)| +c.

Clearly, the requirement here is that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. In your case, you have \dfrac{1}{u(u-4)} = \dfrac{1}{u^2-4u} but clearly the numerator is not the derivative of the denominator.

Instead, you need to split \dfrac{1}{u(u-4)} into partial fractions, and then the book's answer is apparent.

ReputationRep:
    That's not correct, might want to follow that up with your teacher.
    By that reasoning, we get that \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x^2}.dx = \ln(x^2) +c but we also get that \displaystyle \int x^{-2}.dx = -x^{-1} + c so the two RHS's are equal, when they're actually not.

The only time you integrate into log is by the following proposition: \displaystyle \int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} .dx = \ln |f(x)| +c.

Clearly, the requirement here is that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. In your case, you have \dfrac{1}{u(u-2)} = \dfrac{1}{u^2-2u} but clearly the numerator is not the derivative of the denominator.

Instead, you need to split \dfrac{1}{u(u-2)} into partial fractions, and then the book's answer is apparent.
    thanks for your detailed reply. this question is in the C3 section so is there another way of answering this question rather than using partial fractions?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanks for your detailed reply. this question is in the C3 section so is there another way of answering this question rather than using partial fractions?
    Without it, you can also expand on the denominator and complete the square on it, then use the integral in your formula booklet for \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x^2-a^2} .dx = \frac{1}{2a} \ln |\frac{x-a}{x+a}|+c

ReputationRep:
    Without it, you can also expand on the denominator and complete the square on it, then use the integral in your formula booklet for \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x^2-a^2} .dx = \frac{1}{2a} \ln |\frac{x-a}{x+a}|+c
    thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.