Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I want to do medicine and was wandering if anyone could tell me what kind of volunteering people are doing that are medical related. Also is it bad that I don’t have any summer schools that I can attend?:/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you are 16/17 then there may be some work experience / shadowing a doctor for you at a hospital. I know that my local hospital has a 2 day programme for students wanting to know more about each area of the hospital, it might be worth sending them a email and finding out if there is anything suitable for you - good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kav12)
    Hey I want to do medicine and was wandering if anyone could tell me what kind of volunteering people are doing that are medical related. Also is it bad that I don’t have any summer schools that I can attend?:/
    At what stage in your education are you?

When I applied for medicine I hadn't attended a single summer school (I didn't even know what one was!) so don't worry.

Try to get some clinical experience such as shadowing a GP or a doctor in a hospital if possible - I understand this can be very hard but it's important to try and contact your local GP or hospital as it gives you a lot to talk about in the interviews and most medicine applicants will have had some sort of experience.

I only managed to get 3 days of actual hospital work which is minuscule compared to other applicants but I did a lot of non-medical volunteering and at the end of the day it's what you gain from the experience rather than the quantity of it

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.