Turn on thread page Beta

I’ve got an medicine offer but I don’t want to study medicine any watch

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning of college my heart was set on medicine but now I don’t want to do it anymore and now I’m too late to back out. I’ve got an offer for a uni and if I even got the grades which I need is ABB, I would reject it. But don’t want to disappoint my parents, it’s hard to explain but they have been so proud of me and if I say to them I wanna give up on my dream they wil be really upset. I don’t what to do. I’ve been upset this past week because I’ve reliased medicine is not for me and I can’t focus on anything and I’ve been crying a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe question what has led you to suddenly give up medicine after so much work on your personal statement, interview etc. DO NOT REJECT THE OFFER NOW AND WAIT UNTIL YOU GET YOUR RESULTS IN MY OPINION.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure medicine is not for you? You don't want to drop it then regret it later in life bc of a rash decision you made. I also relate to parent pressure I think you should tell you parents what you want to do and how you'll be successful & happy in that route, just anything to really convince them but really think about what you want first
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well I would talk to your parents and maybe a careers teacher at school coz they know you well and may be able to offer advice. I would say don’t try do something you don’t want to do but maybe you could just be unsure or something? I’d definitely talk to someone now rather than later. Don’t stress over it either coz it’s not good for you especially if you’re sitting your a levels this year. hope this is useful

ReputationRep:
    ABB for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blos)
    Are you sure medicine is not for you? You don't want to drop it then regret it later in life bc of a rash decision you made. I also relate to parent pressure I think you should tell you parents what you want to do and how you'll be successful & happy in that route, just anything to really convince them but really think about what you want first

To be honest I’m really confused as well. Like I was really set on it for ages but for the past few days I’ve been so down thinking about it and I don’t want to talk to my parents because they might freak out. My mother also declined to do medicine and now she regrets it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Big "R")
    Maybe question what has led you to suddenly give up medicine after so much work on your personal statement, interview etc. DO NOT REJECT THE OFFER NOW AND WAIT UNTIL YOU GET YOUR RESULTS IN MY OPINION.
    I think it’s because of the pressure of the job and the degree. And my gut is telling me no. It’s dawning’s on me and I have a really hard life as it is. I have anxiety and it takes me a lot of courage to do things. I’m thinking of waiting on results day and rejecting the offer then. But my parents will kill me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irrelevant kid)
    ABB for medicine?
    Yeah I did this programme which lowers your entry requirements for any degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kav12)
    Well I would talk to your parents and maybe a careers teacher at school coz they know you well and may be able to offer advice. I would say don’t try do something you don’t want to do but maybe you could just be unsure or something? I’d definitely talk to someone now rather than later. Don’t stress over it either coz it’s not good for you especially if you’re sitting your a levels this year. hope this is useful
    My parents are Asian, there is no talking happening there. But I might talk to my teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rednailpolish)
    To be honest I’m really confused as well. Like I was really set on it for ages but for the past few days I’ve been so down thinking about it and I don’t want to talk to my parents because they might freak out. My mother also declined to do medicine and now she regrets it.
    I'd advise you to not decide anything soon as you still seem confused but talk a your tutor at school they'll help. Tbh medicine is a great degree and you don't want to end up making a rash decision and doing something you don't actually want to do, your parents will never let that go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blos)
    I'd advise you to not decide anything soon as you still seem confused but talk a your tutor at school they'll help. Tbh medicine is a great degree and you don't want to end up making a rash decision and doing something you don't actually want to do, your parents will never let that go
    But I’m so unhappy

ReputationRep:
    But I’m so unhappy
    Awh do you actually know they you're unhappy or is it just the idea of doing medicine that makes you unhappy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blos)
    Awh do you actually know they you're unhappy or is it just the idea of doing medicine that makes you unhappy?
    A bit of both.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    At the beginning of college my heart was set on medicine but now I don’t want to do it anymore and now I’m too late to back out. I’ve got an offer for a uni and if I even got the grades which I need is ABB, I would reject it. But don’t want to disappoint my parents, it’s hard to explain but they have been so proud of me and if I say to them I wanna give up on my dream they wil be really upset. I don’t what to do. I’ve been upset this past week because I’ve reliased medicine is not for me and I can’t focus on anything and I’ve been crying a lot.
    Do you know why you dont want to do it?
    Have you talked to the access people?
    Do you know what else you might like to do?

How about deferring to make your mind up?

ReputationRep:
    Medicine requires a LOT of commitment so maybe wait a few weeks and do some more research about what the degree involves (presuming you have done a lot already). If you decide that its not for you within the next few weeks. You could withdraw your application, concentrate on getting the grades for A Levels, then spend the summer holidays maybe doing some research about what you want to do and what interests you (could base this on what you enjoyed during A Level), get your grades and then apply again January next year on a course you would actually enjoy. If you got into Medicine, you have the academic ability so you could try for Oxbridge (this could compensate for the fact that you rejected Medicine). Don't worry about what your parents think, it's your life and not theirs and if you think you will regret Medicine, its not worth doing it. Yes your parents maybe angry for a few days or even weeks but in the end it is about what you want to do and not what your parents want to do...

ReputationRep:
    talk to your career advisor. My advice is to find out what you want to spend the rest of your life doing because you shouldnt waste an offer if your just going to end up rejecting it. As your wasting an oppurtunity/place which could be given to somebody else who is more passionate/dead-set at pursuing a career in medicine. And at the end of the day its your life you shouldnt limit your decisions based on what your parents decide for you. I understand that you want to please your parents - im sure everyone can relate to this. but its your life and the first thing they should be concerned about is your happiness - even if its going to lead you to career in a different field than medicine. I feel like most parents push there children to become doctors because there is an assumption/generalisations that being a doctor = super rich life. Sadly it doesnt, especialy in todays politcal climate/leaving brexit. You should confront them about your feelings and show them other careers youd feel happy pursing instead of medicine, there are plenty of careers which offer very high earnings if that is what is driving you to become a doctor. You should also explain your worries about the challenges of becoming a doctor. I feel like most parents think its an easy task lol or arent fully aware of the sacrifices your going to have to make and also the emotional downsides to the job/completing the degree. Your going to have to be prepared to give up your social life, time spent at home to work on call, social/family events, even holidays like christmas, dealing with patients passing away having to spend 5/6 years completing a degree and watching your friends move on with there life when they complete their degrees 3/4 years before you - this can have a lot of impact to your mental health which is why you should be 100% about pursing a rigorous career like medicine. Hope this helps sorry if i came off as rude.

ReputationRep:
    Does this programme offer a summer school/taster week? If they do, maybe give it a whirl and it might help you decide?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, fairs.

ReputationRep:
    If your heart is not in medicine - don't do it. Simple as that. It is a tough degree and you have to be 100% focused which you clearly are not. Secondly, if you have doubts whether its the career for you then clearly it is not what you want.

ReputationRep:
    You still have time to make a decision.

Just make sure you make a right one.

Being miserable walking around the wards as a doctor is as bad as working in the city wishing you became a doctor etc

Just don't regret what you do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.