The Student Room Group

I’ve got an medicine offer but I don’t want to study medicine any

Scroll to see replies

I feel like people can easily say "go where your heart is set on" but imo that's poor advice. This is *medicine* we're talking about, it's a decision that I think will loom over for the rest of your life if you reject it.

I got into a top uni but sort of preferred another uni which is good but not as good. Ended up firming the top uni. I dont know if its something I will regret, but I know that its something that ill ultimately look back at and didnt want to risk it.
Original post by Rednailpolish
Yeah I did this programme which lowers your entry requirements for any degree.

Hi, just out of interest, what programme did you go through/do?
Reply 22
You sound really low at the moment and we should always avoid trying to make life-changing decisions at times when our mental health is under strain.
I understand about the pressure you feel under and why you have felt trapped into this. It doesn't seem likely that withdrawing now will end with a happy family chat around the tea table though. At some point you need to take ownership of your life and decisions and it doesn't sound as though you feel that Medicine is for you but it may be that right now you should just be focussing on getting the very best A level grades you can so that your future is as bright as it can be.
Definitely talk to a friendly tutor. Definitely hold-off any final decision until your exams are behind you.
Once July comes around you can think it through without exam pressure hanging over your head and decide whether you can face challenging your parents.
So many people are affected by this situation; you are not alone: I know of a young man who is currently pretending to his parents that he is at Med School; I have no idea what he is going to do when the 5 years are up - definitely not the best option!!
Do you have a more open-minded and trustworthy family member who might understand and be able to support you? An aunty or older sibling/cousin may have been in a similar situation before and be able to offer a friendly ear.
Universities don't force you to stay: if you went to Med School in September and found you hated it you could drop out having had time to research what you do want to do instead. I know this option is messy and stressful in its own right but it is an option that you are entitled to and you may find it easier making a decision away from the home environment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending