Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting to do my practical test , I was meant to wear glasses years ago as a child but threw bullying I stopped and my eyes got worse and now thst I am wanting to drive it is having a big impact on me I can drive ok but I know I shouldn't without my glasses. I'd been to my optition 4 times got 3 new sets of glasses different lenses and even tried contact lenses and i still can't see a number plate with them I can see things close up but anytbing in a distance is all fuzzy and the glasses tend to make me feel sick , it upsets me cos all of every wanted to do is drive and om being held back wish I had of wore them when I was meant to
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by lauram1262)
    I'm waiting to do my practical test , I was meant to wear glasses years ago as a child but threw bullying I stopped and my eyes got worse and now thst I am wanting to drive it is having a big impact on me I can drive ok but I know I shouldn't without my glasses. I'd been to my optition 4 times got 3 new sets of glasses different lenses and even tried contact lenses and i still can't see a number plate with them I can see things close up but anytbing in a distance is all fuzzy and the glasses tend to make me feel sick , it upsets me cos all of every wanted to do is drive and om being held back wish I had of wore them when I was meant to
    Hey there!

I've moved your post to a brand new thread, please check thread dates before posting in future.

I drive with glasses on all the time - my eye sight is very, very bad :laugh:.

If your current opticians aren't very helpful, I'd change opticians. It sounds like they keep getting the wrong lenses for you.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was thinking as well cos I can only see up close with them I can read nimber plates better without .my glasses but not at the distance is need to for driving . It's really annoying iv let it get to me that much of just stopped all lessons and i only have anotjer year to do it as it's been a year from i passed my theory
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    The numberplate at 20 metres test is basically the bare minimum level of eyesight you need in order to drive, so if you're struggling with it even with corrective lenses then unfortunately you're gonna have to put off driving for now, there's nothing else for it.

As Sheepy said, your optician is the key here. If you can get a better prescription then maybe you'll be able to sort out your eyesight to meet the legal requirement. There could be other options available to you as well (surgery?) but you'll need to speak to a professional about it.

ReputationRep:
    ‘Up close’ is subjective mind.

Have you actually tried it from the 20m distance?

ReputationRep:
    Yea if tried it from the distance and still can't see

ReputationRep:
    Sort lenses out/get lasering, do whatever to sort your eyesight out. Don't drive if you can't see properly.

ReputationRep:
    I have no intentions of driving till I get my eyes sorted that's why o gave up my lessons I wouldn't put anyone at risk

ReputationRep:
    I have no intentions of driving till I get my eyes sorted that's why o gave up my lessons I wouldn't put anyone at risk
    Like the others have said, you should consider changing opticians. I wear glasses (blind as a bat without them!).

One other thing that I used to do (sounds mad now) is that when you are walking down the street, stop and try to read the number plates of parked cars.

Stopping driving is a sensible approach and I hugely commend you for considering the safety of others above your wish to drive.

ReputationRep:
    I read every number plate when im out walk8mg even if I'm in the car with someone I also look at nimber plates from as far as i can see them. Thank you I am gonna change my optition its either they are giving me the wrong lenses or I just cant get use to them from not wearing them when I should of .

ReputationRep:
    It might sound daunting or expensive but lazer eye surgery?

ReputationRep:
    I would go to a different optician if I were you. If you are feeling sick when wearing your glasses and can't see properly then it's almost certainly the wrong lens for you. I have glasses and if I wear someone Else's I feel sick because the lens is different. Do you know if you are short sighted or long sighted?
    Also, I should say that when you get new glasses/lenses it can take a few days for your eyes to adjust to it I remember when I got new lenses the floor looked wobbly at first and everything looked too sharp because my eyes weren't used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    I would go to a different optician if I were you. If you are feeling sick when wearing your glasses and can't see properly then it's almost certainly the wrong lens for you. I have glasses and if I wear someone Else's I feel sick because the lens is different. Do you know if you are short sighted or long sighted?
    Also, I should say that when you get new glasses/lenses it can take a few days for your eyes to adjust to it I remember when I got new lenses the floor looked wobbly at first and everything looked too sharp because my eyes weren't used to it.
    In the OP he said he can see things close up. So I assume short sighted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    In the OP he said he can see things close up. So I assume short sighted.
    But he said that is with his glasses on I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm gonna try new optition cos it doesn't feel right wearing them I dont even feel comfortable wearing them whike I'm driving as far as i can remember I'm short sighted on both eyes I really wanna drive and I hate thinking of the eye test and getting my provisional revoked over something that can be sorted

ReputationRep:
    I can see things close to me while I wear my glasses but whwn I try to look further away like eveb 2 car lengths its all fuzzy if you know wjat i mean and fraustrating

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was thinking as well cos I can only see up close with them I can read nimber plates better without .my glasses but not at the distance is need to for driving . It's really annoying iv let it get to me that much of just stopped all lessons and i only have anotjer year to do it as it's been a year from i passed my theory
    So maybe you need two different prescriptions, one for up close the other for distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    So maybe you need two different prescriptions, one for up close the other for distance.
    I must look I to this iv always had problems with my eyes and was meant to wear glasses years ago i though that this is why I couldn't see with them now bit it couldt take a year to get use to glasses I can just about wear them for a day

ReputationRep:
    I technically need to wear glasses all the time but I don't. However, I do wear them while driving, because my eyesight is so bad and I legally have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I technically need to wear glasses all the time but I don't. However, I do wear them while driving, because my eyesight is so bad and I legally have to.
    I am the same but die to bullying I hated my glasses as a child and stopped wearing them but now I need them more than ever

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 16, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.