The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Much of my early memories were ones of fascination towards the world around me, and in particular, human life. The diversity of our own bodies has always interested me and throughout my school life there has been an underlying attraction towards learning about that diverse and complex creature we call ‘humans’.
Through researching various courses, I came across medicine and quickly realised that medicine is the course that I wish to take.
I have been interested in science from a very young age, but I have always found the idea of pure lab work to be too impersonal, a problem which I believe the clinical aspects of medicine will remove.
As a course, I believe medicine would satisfy my desire to help and care for people whilst giving me the opportunity to learn about the intricate processes that happen within the human body.

Here's how I started mine. I have changed my mind on taking the course so if you're going to tell me that somebody could copy, then don't, I don't care if they do.
I still wouldn't recomend copying it though. It isn't very good and it was written as I was questioning whether I wanted to take medicine. Also, it's a *personal statement* and a rough draft so it will have mistakes and it might not apply to you.
Reply 2
Kaos
Much of my early memories were ones of fascination towards the world around me, and in particular, human life. The diversity of our own bodies has always interested me and throughout my school life there has been an underlying attraction towards learning about that diverse and complex creature we call ‘humans’.
Through researching various courses, I came across medicine and quickly realised that medicine is the course that I wish to take.
I have been interested in science from a very young age, but I have always found the idea of pure lab work to be too impersonal, a problem which I believe the clinical aspects of medicine will remove.
As a course, I believe medicine would satisfy my desire to help and care for people whilst giving me the opportunity to learn about the intricate processes that happen within the human body.

Here's how I started mine. I have changed my mind on taking the course so if you're going to tell me that somebody could copy, then don't, I don't care if they do.
I still wouldn't recomend copying it though. It isn't very good and it was written as I was questioning whether I wanted to take medicine. Also, it's a *personal statement* and a rough draft so it will have mistakes and it might not apply to you.

The structure syntactically of your paragraph, though you acknowledge it is a draft, is pretty shoddy, the content is good.
Reply 3
a5h
OP
Kaos

hey why have you changed your mind? i don't know about others but i want mine to be my own (unique :biggrin: ) u'rz is a good first draft, mine was just BS, i waffled on alot and kept on repeating myself. what course r u thinking of doing next?

everyone i know has started there med ps. by:- i love med coz...,my passion for med started when..., i have always wanted to do med. from an early age...

i want mine to be different but i can't think of one which short and catches the readers eye (if u know what i mean)
Reply 4
a5h
hey why have you changed your mind? i don't know about others but i want mine to be my own (unique :biggrin: ) u'rz is a good first draft, mine was just BS, i waffled on alot and kept on repeating myself. what course r u thinking of doing next?

everyone i know has started there med ps. by:- i love med coz...,my passion for med started when..., i have always wanted to do med. from an early age...

i want mine to be different but i can't think of one which short and catches the readers eye (if u know what i mean)

I'm applying to do Biochemistry and Genetics at Nottingham (AAA/AAB) and Sheffield (ABB). My other 4 choices are open, but I have time to decide now :smile:

I questioned why I wanted to take medicine and failed to come up with good enough answers. I guess I'm not mature enough to take the leap. Perhaps I will when I'm a graduate.
Reply 5
a5h
OP
does this sound right?

i have been inspired by ....

as a good starting?
Reply 7
Mad Caddie
The structure syntactically of your paragraph, though you acknowledge it is a draft, is pretty shoddy, the content is good.

I've taken parts out of it that I'll be using for my Biochem and genetics ps which may explain the 'shodyness' (is that a word?) of it. Not being particularly good at English and failing to check the structure may well explain the rest.
Reply 8
a5h
should i start ps by:-

1. my desire to study medicne began by....

2.the new ideas and discoveries scientists develop each year has attracted me to medicine.

i want the 1st sentence to atttract the reader but mine is too boring.

can any1 give me some ideas?

first one sounds better, BUT began by what? you have to finish it off well. make it sharp, concise.

my desire to study medicine began by realising both my parents are doctors=hmmm no
Reply 9
a5h
OP
Jack Schitt
first one sounds better, BUT began by what? you have to finish it off well. make it sharp, concise.

my desire to study medicine began by realising both my parents are doctors=hmmm no

what i've typed on my ps is:-

my desire to become a medical doctor stems form love of science and the curiosity of the human body.

is that too long. it sounds really dorky doesn't it?
Reply 10
a5h
what i've typed on my ps is:-

my desire to become a medical doctor stems form love of science and the curiosity of the human body.

is that too long. it sounds really dorky doesn't it?

It's not too long or dorky. What is doesn't say is why love of science and a curiosity about the human body has led you to study medicine. Why not Anatomy or Biology? Why medicine? If you like science, Medicine may not be an appropriate degree, since clinical science and research is only a relatively minor aspect of the degree and the career.

Are there any personal reasons that have helped confirm your desire to be a doctor? What work/voluntary experience do you have?
Reply 11
a5h
OP
spk
It's not too long or dorky. What is doesn't say is why love of science and a curiosity about the human body has led you to study medicine. Why not Anatomy or Biology? Why medicine? If you like science, Medicine may not be an appropriate degree, since clinical science and research is only a relatively minor aspect of the degree and the career.

Are there any personal reasons that have helped confirm your desire to be a doctor? What work/voluntary experience do you have?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry its just that i have done so many drafts, you do have a very good point but i've sent it. i have many reasons for doing medicine they r all in my ps including the amount of work experience, voluntary work and extra-curricular activities. most of the stuff i couldn't fit on becasue they only allow 47 lines! :frown:
Reply 12
a5h
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry its just that i have done so many drafts, you do have a very good point but i've sent it. i have many reasons for doing medicine they r all in my ps including the amount of work experience, voluntary work and extra-curricular activities. most of the stuff i couldn't fit on becasue they only allow 47 lines! :frown:

Don't worry about it! Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to say a lot more about your motivations in your interviews.

Good luck!
Reply 13
a5h
OP
spk
Don't worry about it! Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to say a lot more about your motivations in your interviews.

Good luck!

tnx :wink:
Reply 14
a5h
most of the stuff i couldn't fit on becasue they only allow 47 lines! :frown:

Tell me about it! It turns out that I am applying to medicine after all so the personal statement is, yet again, vitally important at the moment. I've been trying to cut 10 - 15 lines, but I have no idea what to leave out!
Curse it all. I should've worked to a 37 line deadline so that I hit the right target.
Reply 15
a5h
OP
Kaos
Tell me about it! It turns out that I am applying to medicine after all so the personal statement is, yet again, vitally important at the moment. I've been trying to cut 10 - 15 lines, but I have no idea what to leave out!
Curse it all. I should've worked to a 37 line deadline so that I hit the right target.

u'r applying to med? HA! wot was ol dat talk about then 'when im mature enuff then i think i'll apply' lol

what made change u'r mind?
Reply 16
a5h
u'r applying to med? HA! wot was ol dat talk about then 'when im mature enuff then i think i'll apply' lol

what made change u'r mind?

I’m taking a gap year, which gives me a significant amount of time to decide whether or not I want to do the course. If I decide that I don’t want to, then I’ll reject any offers that I may get.
Anyway, I’m still applying to 2 Biochem courses and they are significantly easier to get into in terms of qualifications and personal qualities. I don’t feel as though I’m losing anything in applying to medicine as I think I stand a good chance of getting past the requirements of my first choice biochem course as my predicted grades are high and I have a long history of involvement in science events locally and at school.
Reply 17
a5h
OP
Kaos
I’m taking a gap year, which gives me a significant amount of time to decide whether or not I want to do the course. If I decide that I don’t want to, then I’ll reject any offers that I may get.
Anyway, I’m still applying to 2 Biochem courses and they are significantly easier to get into in terms of qualifications and personal qualities. I don’t feel as though I’m losing anything in applying to medicine as I think I stand a good chance of getting past the requirements of my first choice biochem course as my predicted grades are high and I have a long history of involvement in science events locally and at school.

im applying to med n if i don't get in i'll be doing either medical biochemistry or pharmachology :frown: (even though i hate lab work)

my friend has the grades but is'nt doin med coz she said that she doesn't have the motivation like i do. but that isn't counted at ol. u have a greater chance of getting in med then me, becasue the first thing they look at r u'r grades then ps.
Reply 18
a5h
even though i hate lab work

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this.

The Biochem and Genetics courses that I'm applying to as my backups are more theory than lab work. Lab work just seems impersonal and dull...

... despite my chemistry teachers best efforts to convince me otherwise.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty once in a while, but I just want to have a job with a certain social involvement.

I think that the chance to do a science related subject that doesn't involve too much lab work is the reason why most people apply to medicine rather than science. It's happening with engineering courses aswell.
Only 4 people in my year got an A in any 1 science. 2 are applying to Medicine and 2 to do engineering.
Reply 19
a5h
OP
Kaos
I whole-heartedly agree with you on this.

The Biochem and Genetics courses that I'm applying to as my backups are more theory than lab work. Lab work just seems impersonal and dull...

... despite my chemistry teachers best efforts to convince me otherwise.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty once in a while, but I just want to have a job with a certain social involvement.

I think that the chance to do a science related subject that doesn't involve too much lab work is the reason why most people apply to medicine rather than science. It's happening with engineering courses aswell.
Only 4 people in my year got an A in any 1 science. 2 are applying to Medicine and 2 to do engineering.

with life sciences you end up teaching the subect or working in labs, i thought about optometry but the careers said no uni are going to offer me places for opt with a personal satement on medicine :frown:

to tell you the truth i just added the 2 life ciences course in order to fill the last to spaces in my ucas form and becasue my tutor prefered i keep a back-up (even though you can enter the courses through ucas extra and clearing)

if i don't get any places for med. i wouldn't know what else to do :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending