Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A crane is lifting a car of load 850 kg. It lifts the car 12m in 40s. The crane has 60% efficiency. Find the input power of the crane. I had this question for my mock. I used P=F/v but unsure. The first part of this question was to find T. Please help thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Refer to post below.

ReputationRep:
    There is another formula for power, which is power = work done/time taken

First work out the amount of gravitational potential energy car will have when fully lifted, which is worked out by: G.P.E (gravitational potential energy)= mass * gravitational field strength * height
    so...G.P.E = 850 * 9.81 * 12 = 100062 Joules

Then it says crane has 60% efficiency, so the G.P.E equivalent is the 60% of total energy inputted, so you work out what 100% is, which is done by:
    (work out 40%)..(100062/3)*2=66708
    When you add 40% to 60%, you get 100%, so 100062 + 66708 = 166770 Joules

Then use the power equation
    Power = 166770/12 = 4169.25 W required as input

Can you clarify what T is? Is it tension?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outofthisworld)
    A crane is lifting a car of load 850 kg. It lifts the car 12m in 40s. The crane has 60% efficiency. Find the input power of the crane. I had this question for my mock. I used P=F/v but unsure. The first part of this question was to find T. Please help thanks.
    Just out of curiosity, is this for mechanics maths or physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    Just out of curiosity, is this for mechanics maths or physics?
    Physics since you had to use power formula and the thread title also says physics

ReputationRep:
    Yes T was tension, I got the same answer as you but I did P=Fv or work done/time then divide by 0.6. But I like your explanation of using G.P.E, it's makes more sense cause we know that the crane did work against gravity to bring the car to 12m.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think I got the answer. It was 4 mark so I was thinking it's too simple and so many marks just for this question. But I got this .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neluxsan)
    Physics since you had to use power formula and the thread title also says physics
    Lol whoops

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.