The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

american student considering MA in History...help!!!

Hello all,

I'm an American student currently finishing my last semester in undergrad. I go to a top liberal arts college where I major in History.

I've been thinking a lot about doing a one-year Masters program at SOAS. Their history program is the perfect fit for me. I'm hoping to further my studies in a specific east african language and the history related to that geographical region. Here in the US, history graduate courses are SERIOUSLY lacking in this geographical specialization. Hence my interest in SOAS.

I'm writing this post because I'm nervous about applying to SOAS. I understand that, generally, this is a competitive school. However, I'm not sure how competitive their history master program is. I'm NOT interested in pursuing a PhD; this master's degree is just useful for me to further my own personal interest in East African history. My undergraduate grades are probably biggest setback in the application. I have some questionable marks, but I do show progress in my later semesters. I'm not too sure how much of a late upward trajectory would be convincing for the applicaiton. To put it in UK terms, I would be graduating with lower second-class honors. I do know, however, that I have an excellent rapport with my professors, and that they would be more than willing to write me excellent recommendation letters–one even suggesting I apply to grad school. I also have some solid writing samples and research experience; I did some work at the National Archives for my senior thesis, for example.

I would also be paying out of pocket because the US government basically gives out loans up to $60,000 w/o giving a ****.

Given all of this context, should i even consider applying? i'm super anxious about applying, but I am so comitted to this program, y'all.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending