Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am wondering if someone could help me. I am stuck as to whether I should be taking 4 A-Levels or 3 A-Levels. I am looking to do medicine at university and the subjects that I plan to take are Maths, Biology and Chemistry. In maths, I am predicted an 8, likewise with chemistry and in biology, I am predicted a 7 at GCSE. I am unsure as to whether I should also take physics as a 4th option (predicted a 7 at GCSE) or just stick with the three (maths, biology, chemistry).

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    You need to do 4 AS to get on to any decent medicine course
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajayma)
    That's not true. Most universities aren't looking specifically for 4 A Levels. Everyone I know who has an offer for medicine take three A Levels. Take three, there's little point in creating more pressure by doing four and it's much more important to get good grades in the 3 A Levels

ReputationRep:
    What universities
    (Original post by Ella_08)
    That's not true. Most universities aren't looking specifically for 4 A Levels. Everyone I know who has an offer for medicine take three A Levels. Take three, there's little point in creating more pressure by doing four and it's much more important to get good grades in the 3 A Levels
    What unis

ReputationRep:
    Just stick with three- you only need three, taking a fourth as is not necessary, it would only increase your workload. It wouldn’t make you seem better than other applicants. Good luck on your GCSE’s x

ReputationRep:
    Not true. I only took 3 AS subjects - chemistry, biology and english literature - and I've had three offers. They don't care as long as you're predicted the grades their course requires. I can't guarantee this for all medical schools, but this is the case for most of them.

Seriously, unless you love physics, don't take four. It's unnecessary extra stress and pressure when no medical school will demand four a levels of you - the only pro is you have a higher chance of meeting their required grades with four.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freefalling_)
    Not true. I only took 3 AS subjects - chemistry, biology and english literature - and I've had three offers. They don't care as long as you're predicted the grades their course requires. I can't guarantee this for all medical schools, but this is the case for most of them.
    Which universities
    (Original post by freefalling_)
    Which universities were you offered

ReputationRep:
    Which universities

Which universities were you offered
    Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BILBOBAGGINSS5)
    Hi
    I am wondering if someone could help me. I am stuck as to whether I should be taking 4 A-Levels or 3 A-Levels. I am looking to do medicine at university and the subjects that I plan to take are Maths, Biology and Chemistry. In maths, I am predicted an 8, likewise with chemistry and in biology, I am predicted a 7 at GCSE. I am unsure as to whether I should also take physics as a 4th option (predicted a 7 at GCSE) or just stick with the three (maths, biology, chemistry).

Many thanks
    Three A levels is completely fine - don't overload yourself. AAA will get you an offer; AABB won't.

ReputationRep:
    What universities

What unis
    Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, i.e. v good ones

ReputationRep:
    In the past when exams were not linear, most universities liked four subjects, three at A2 level and 1 AS. With the new A-Levels, universities don't really look at AS as they acknowledge not everyone will do them. All they want is 3 A-Levels, though it is up to you if you want to do more.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by BILBOBAGGINSS5)
    Hi

Many thanks
    Hi there,

Most medical schools base their offers on three A-Levels so doing three is fine!

You can find out what each UK med school's A-Level requirements are on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.