Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am currently a student at medical school who is considering undertaking a PhD as part of my medical degree. I know the University of Cambridge offers this, however, it only says external applicants can be accepted in exceptional circumstances. I would like to know what these circumstances are? If it's being profoundly unhappy at university, I definitely tick that box. If it's if you need to come very highly in your year, I am willing to attempt to do so. Thanks for your help and all the best.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by funky386)
    however, it only says external applicants can be accepted in exceptional circumstances.
    Where does it say that?

No mention of such a limitation here as far as I can tell:
    https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...c/requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Where does it say that?
    quoted from the website:
    'MB/PhD applicants must already be enrolled on the standard six-year Medicine MB/BChir degree course at Cambridge University. Only in exceptional circumstances will applications from external medical students be considered. Enquiries should be made to the Programme Director.'

Thanks for the quick reply by the way!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by funky386)
    quoted from the website:
    'MB/PhD applicants must already be enrolled on the standard six-year Medicine MB/BChir degree course at Cambridge University. Only in exceptional circumstances will applications from external medical students be considered. Enquiries should be made to the Programme Director.'

Thanks for the quick reply by the way!
    Hmm, I'm not a medic and you medics are a special bunch So this is a PhD as part of the medicine degree, rather than after it?

In which case, contact the department as they suggest

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm not a medic and you medics are a special bunch So this is a PhD as part of the medicine degree, rather than after it?

In which case, contact the department as they suggest
    I don't think there's such a thing as a PhD after a medical degree, or it's really uncommon. From what I read on the NHS website, most medics who do a PhD will do it as part of their initial degree.

And looking at the degrees offered by medical schools, they only go up to the masters level.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MR1999)
    I don't think there's such a thing as a PhD after a medical degree, or it's really uncommon.
    Almost certainly correct. As I said, I know very little about it. There is a PhD in Medical Science, but re-reading the description it's for applicants with a typical undergrad degree (e.g. BioMed / NatSci) not medics.

My bad...

ReputationRep:
    Almost certainly correct. As I said, I know very little about it. There is a PhD in Medical Science, but re-reading the description it's for applicants with a typical undergrad degree (e.g. BioMed / NatSci) not medics.

My bad...

There’s a reason why they’re called ‘doctor’
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vincrows)
    There’s a reason why they’re called ‘doctor’
    Not quite the same though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think there's such a thing as a PhD after a medical degree, or it's really uncommon. From what I read on the NHS website, most medics who do a PhD will do it as part of their initial degree.

And looking at the degrees offered by medical schools, they only go up to the masters level.
    Most medics I know come out of clinical training (ST onwards) to do their PhDs. In fact I've never heard of someone doing a PhD during their initial degree. How can you take 4 years out of your initial medical training to do a PhD and who funds it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Most medics I know come out of clinical training (ST onwards) to do their PhDs. In fact I've never heard of someone doing a PhD during their initial degree. How can you take 4 years out of your initial medical training to do a PhD and who funds it?
    This is a quote from the NHS website about clinical academic medicine:

'If you want to be a clinical academic you’re going to need a higher degree at some point. This means achieving a minimum of a master’s degree and almost always a PhD before you reach consultant level. These higher qualifications can sometimes be obtained during your first degree in medicine, or completed later in your training.'

However, it does also say that most medics will get their PhD after their initial degree. So I admit what I said originally was wrong.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    This is a quote from the NHS website about clinical academic medicine:

'If you want to be a clinical academic you’re going to need a higher degree at some point. This means achieving a minimum of a master’s degree and almost always a PhD before you reach consultant level. These higher qualifications can sometimes be obtained during your first degree in medicine, or completed later in your training.'

However, it does also say that most medics will get their PhD after their initial degree. So I admit what I said originally was wrong.
    That sounds more like it. Most if not all of our clinical PhD students have started their specialty training but yes definitely before consultant level.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.