Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure about to take along with maths and physics for a Levels (I want to be an engineer)
    It's between:
    - Psychology
    - Chemistry
    - Economics
    What could you tell me about each? ( if you know anything about them)

ReputationRep:
    I currently take chemistry and I absolutely love it. It is a lot of work to take along side but is worth it. It is mostly just remembering formulas and definitions at AS so isn’t too bad. I would look through the syllabus for each as might give you a bit more info on what you will cover and help you decide. Hope this helps 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hannah220601;76580942]I currently take chemistry and I absolutely love it. It is a lot of work to take along side but is worth it. It is mostly just remembering formulas and definitions at AS so isn’t too bad. I would look through the syllabus for each as might give you a bit more info on what you will cover and help you decide. Hope this helps 😊[/Q

I do Maths, Physics and Economics. I think doing economics is nice as its different from the other 2. It can involve a bit of writing and a little maths but its look at the worlds economy and seeing where the money goes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MikeDo01)
    I'm really not sure about to take along with maths and physics for a Levels (I want to be an engineer)
    It's between:
    - Psychology
    - Chemistry
    - Economics
    What could you tell me about each? ( if you know anything about them)
    Chemistry is more relevant, but ultimately it doesn't matter which of those you take if you have maths and physics (unless you're applying for a course that requires chemistry) as they will get you a place on the degree and the other choice is something you need to obtain a suitably high grade at.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As above, Chemistry is the most obviously relevant, but realistically outside materials and chemical engineering, there isn't a huge amount of relevant material in the A-level itself. Economics is actually fairly relevant as most engineering courses include some content on professional practice/business and finance/management (science) which includes some basic economic concepts. Again, not hugely linked but still relevant. Psychology isn't really directly relevant but this need not be a barrier.

The main thing is to check the entry criteria of the course(s) you're interested in and ensure you meet those. Physics and Maths will suffice for most, so then choose the option you enjoy the most and feel you are most able to do well in to maximise your final grades, unless they specifically require Chemistry. I believe for Imperial and Cambridge you need 3 STEM subjects so, if you want to consider those you may need to take Chemistry (but if you think you'll fail to get an A/A* in Chemistry then there's no point as you would put yourself out of the running anyway).

Slight side point, but if you are considering engineering and good at/enjoy maths, I would seriously recommend you consider Further Maths if your school offers it. I'm not aware of any engineering courses that have a problem with the maths/FM/physics combination, although if you wanted to go into another area (such as Law/Economics/Business etc) this may limit your options slightly as some won't consider maths and FM as two separate A-levels. On the subject of moving into other areas, of the options you noted Chemistry would provide the most possibility to move in different directions (chemistry itself, some bioscience courses potentially, some medicine courses, more options for chemE/materials courses). But if you're quite set on engineering, do consider FM.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.