Over 18, living with a parent and not getting on(understatement). Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm 20-years-old and can't stand my father. I'm in full time education and will be starting university in September. I feel trapped because with my studies I don't have time for a full time job; I can't even think of moving out without one.

I really don't get on with him but have to pretend that I don't have any issues with him. I have to pretty much let him disrespect me and treat me like crap. I live in HIS house and the very rare time I "answer back" he says "I can do what i want it's my house".

He will literally "tell me off" if I don't clean up all HIS mess. I'm trying to just let him treat me like crap without reacting because I know it's only for a few more months until I start uni but I'm finding it harder and harder not to react.

Any advice? Should I be grateful that he lets me live in HIS house even though I'm over 18 ...even if he treats me like crap? I also pay board by the way and do everything myself(buy my own food, toiletries, etc)
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 20-years-old and can't stand my father. I'm in full time education and will be starting university in September. I feel trapped because with my studies I don't have time for a full time job; I can't even think of moving out without one.

I really don't get on with him but have to pretend that I don't have any issues with him. I have to pretty much let him disrespect me and treat me like crap. I live in HIS house and the very rare time I "answer back" he says "I can do what i want it's my house".

He will literally "tell me off" if I don't clean up all HIS mess. I'm trying to just let him treat me like crap without reacting because I know it's only for a few more months until I start uni but I'm finding it harder and harder not to react.

Any advice? Should I be grateful that he lets me live in HIS house even though I'm over 18 ...even if he treats me like crap? I also pay board by the way and do everything myself(buy my own food, toiletries, etc)
I don’t get on at all with my mum and I’m 17. You should never let someone disrespect you- as long as you remain respectful towards him and don’t shout or insult him during an argument then you are being mature but you are standing up for yourself. At the moment he knows he can get away with this- don’t let him think that! While it’s easier to do it this way it’s not the right thing to do.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say just keep your head down and get through the next few months. It will be September before you know it.
RandomName12311
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just say your house you ****ing clean up this mess. Done problem solved, if he wants to be a boss he can also be a one man army
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads