Turn on thread page Beta

Help, garden centre near me has recently started to leave music playing at night watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong section.

A garden centre near me has started in the last 3 days to leave a local radio station on over its speakers over night.

Why would they do this? Makes no sense and I can just about hear it in my bedroom from their outdoor horn speakers.

Is there anything that could be done about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke5125)
    Sorry if this is the wrong section.

A garden centre near me has started in the last 3 days to leave a local radio station on over its speakers over night.

Why would they do this? Makes no sense and I can just about hear it in my bedroom from their outdoor horn speakers.

Is there anything that could be done about this?
    Go into the store and ask to speak to the manger and just politely mention the music is being left on and it's keeping people close by awake. If they still don't turn it off / down then I'm sure you can complain to the police for noise disturbance and they'll deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they think playing music to the plants is as good as Prince Charlie talking to them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    If they still don't turn it off / down then I'm sure you can complain to the police for noise disturbance and they'll deal with it.
    Police don't handle noise complaints in most areas any more, they normally refer you to the council. But you catch more flies with honey etc...it might just be staff members forgetting to turn off that switch, so as Ninja Squirrel said, remind them there are residential areas nearby etc.

Failing that, seeing as it's a business, simply advising that you'll go to the council will probably get some traction...and the council are considerably more empowered to act against a business than a private resident I imagine as well if they still don't do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Go into the store and ask to speak to the manger and just politely mention the music is being left on and it's keeping people close by awake. If they still don't turn it off / down then I'm sure you can complain to the police for noise disturbance and they'll deal with it.
    I went in today and told the manager and he said that they have some staff working at night that like having it on and hi enplaned that all the speakers are powered from a single amplifier. Seems like theres nothing that can be done

ReputationRep:
    I went in today and told the manager and he said that they have some staff working at night that like having it on and hi enplaned that all the speakers are powered from a single amplifier. Seems like theres nothing that can be done
    Contact the police and file a noise disturbance complaint.

ReputationRep:
    How late does it stay open until?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    How late does it stay open until?
    Normally til 6pm but the music goes on all night

ReputationRep:
    There's no sound at all tonight! :centipe:

ReputationRep:
    Bring some booze round and have a massive party
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Surely they can turn it down a bit or something?
    If it carries on then go and speak to them as well and threaten to go to the council about the noise.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The local council, not the police

https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Surely they can turn it down a bit or something?
    If it carries on then go and speak to them as well and threaten to go to the council about the noise.
    They don't do it now, sound goes off about 7 😁
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They don't do it now, sound goes off about 7 😁
    While I'm glad to hear that your issue with noise has been resolved, it's not necessary to bump a 4 month old thread just to let us all know this.

Happy posting, my friend.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.