Turn on thread page Beta

I'm having so much anxiety about year 11 prom watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to go to prom. I have bad social anxiety, I hate social events, talking to people, wearing dresses/fancy clothing, being 'trapped' in rooms and I'm very self conscious. All of my friends said at first that they didn't want to go and I was happy about that because I didn't want to feel like I needed to go or be the only one that didn't go, now they've all changed their minds and are talking about what they're going to wear etc. I still don't want to go, neither does my best friend but her mum is forcing her because she said she'll regret it when she's older, and I don't know what to do. One of the worst parts about it is that we'll have to eat a meal together but even the thought of going to a restaurant gives me anxiety. I don't know what to do, my parents said I should go but it's my decision in the end. I also would feel really bad having family or me spend money on an outfit or transportation for something I really don't want to do. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like I'm running out of time, please help! p.s. sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freyabeth14)
    I really don't want to go to prom. I have bad social anxiety, I hate social events, talking to people, wearing dresses/fancy clothing, being 'trapped' in rooms and I'm very self conscious. All of my friends said at first that they didn't want to go and I was happy about that because I didn't want to feel like I needed to go or be the only one that didn't go, now they've all changed their minds and are talking about what they're going to wear etc. I still don't want to go, neither does my best friend but her mum is forcing her because she said she'll regret it when she's older, and I don't know what to do. One of the worst parts about it is that we'll have to eat a meal together but even the thought of going to a restaurant gives me anxiety. I don't know what to do, my parents said I should go but it's my decision in the end. I also would feel really bad having family or me spend money on an outfit or transportation for something I really don't want to do. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like I'm running out of time, please help! p.s. sorry for the long post
    If you don't want to go then don't. It doesn't sound like any of your friends are pressuring you, just that they talk about it sometimes, and I doubt anyone would mind.

I didn't go to mine and don't regret it - I know I wouldn't have had fun.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to go. My prom was absolutely sh*t. So much hype and so many months spent worrying about outfits and dates etc all for a below avg night. When I look back on my school years it's such a non-event. Even the after party wasn't as good as normal parties.
    I didn't go to my y13 prom either because I couldn't be arsed with it all again.
    I really would not worry about feeling like you'll miss out because it's really not a big event.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your advice, I probably won't go because I know I won't enjoy myself and it won't be worth it I'm just not sure because I feel like everyone's pressuring us into going and acting like we're missing out on a really big thing

ReputationRep:
    tbhh i dont even think that prom is that major, everyone will say its overrated
    im going bc ive been wanting to go for yeaaars, but if your hearts not on it dont go!!!! no point in wasting money on a night you wont enjoy, pluss you already just spent like 5 years with these people so its not like youre missing out meeting new people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freyabeth14)
    thanks for your advice, I probably won't go because I know I won't enjoy myself and it won't be worth it I'm just not sure because I feel like everyone's pressuring us into going and acting like we're missing out on a really big thing
    Yeah it'll be a waste of money. And all your missing out on is a pretentious three-course meal and a bunch of posed photos. Maybe you and your best friend can do something else that evening.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.