Turn on thread page Beta

I'm have so much anxiety about year 11 prom watch

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to go to prom. I have bad social anxiety, I hate social events, talking to people, wearing dresses/fancy clothing, being 'trapped' in rooms and I'm very self conscious. All of my friends said at first that they didn't want to go and I was happy about that because I didn't want to feel like I needed to go or be the only one that didn't go, now they've all changed their minds and are talking about what they're going to wear etc. I still don't want to go, neither does my best friend but her mum is forcing her because she said she'll regret it when she's older, and I don't know what to do. One of the worst parts about it is that we'll have to eat a meal together but even the thought of going to a restaurant gives me anxiety. I don't know what to do, my parents said I should go but it's my decision in the end. I also would feel really bad having family or me spend money on an outfit or transportation for something I really don't want to do. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like I'm running out of time, please help! p.s. sorry for the long post
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You're just making your anxiety worse by avoiding things. You might end up enjoying yourself if you do go.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You won't regret not going and prom is not a big deal. I actually regretted going to my prom, It was awful. If you don't want to go then don't. Your life won't be ruined.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go, then don't go
    I didn't, nobody cares
    Spoiler:
    Show

tbh nobody would, as I have no friends

ReputationRep:
    No point in going to this event, and unless it's in America then it isn't even a prom, tell them all that. If you don't like the idea of going then don't bother, it has no relevance to your life.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If it's gonna cause you this much anxiety just don't go. You don't want to add to the stress of GCSEs by worrying about prom - it's supposed to be a fun event and a chance to chill out a bit! If you worry about missing out (and if this idea sounds less nerve-wracking) could you ask your parents if they could spend the money they would have otherwise spent on prom/you spend the money you would have spent on prom on a small get together with your friends at someone's house? That way you can still celebrate GCSEs with friends but don't have to worry about the social pressures of prom. Other people's expectations of what you should do should never come before your own mental health, and while I would say, as someone who has similar anxiety issues, that you should go out of your comfort zone to do things that scare you, prom seems like throwing you in at the deep end and to be able to cope with stuff like this you gotta take baby steps.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.