Turn on thread page Beta

How many hours a day should I be studying for my GCSEs at Year 9? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 9 and I am currently not doing great.
    How many hours a day should I study for the following?:

Chemistry (currently not good at, very important)
    Biology (okay at, very important)
    Maths (okay at, very important)
    History (good at, important)
    Citizenship (good at, important)
    Media Studies (okay, important)

Maybe it would be easier to also say how many hours per week and please also tell me the best ways to study for these subjects. My teachers are very bad but I want to become a doctor. I still want to do well in the other subjects.

Please tell me the names of websites that help a lot with biology and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    It would be useful to know the exam boards and syllabus if you want us to help out with websites/resources btw

ReputationRep:
    Revising for GCSEs at Year 9? Unless you've got GCSE exams at the end of the year for those subjects, I wouldn't even bother spending hours a night on them. You'll overdo it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    None!! You really don’t need to do revision for GCSE in year nine mainly for 2 reasons:

1) You won’t remember the information you revised by the time you get to year 11 unless you constantly revise
    2) if you do the point above, you’ll overwork yourself and burn out.

If you are doing a GCSE one or two years early, then by all means revise - if your teacher advises it. But, if you’re planning to do all exams in Year 11, you don’t need to start “little”revision till year 10, and hardcore revision till january/feb/march year 11.

For now, just make sure you understand everything you’re being taught in class, in KS3.

For biology and chemistry, it’s worth asking your teacher what exam board you’ll be studying for GCSE. I’m doing edexcel, so some good resources I know are:
    Seneca
    Tassomai (not free)
    my-gcsescience (not fully free)
    savemyexams.co.uk
    CGP guides
    Primrose Kitten (youtube+website)

if you do AQA, you’re in luck, as this is said to be the easier exam board for science and there’s countless resources for it. To name a few:

Freesciencelessons (youtube)
    CGP guides
    Seneca
    Primrose Kitten
    (pretty much any youtube science channel does AQA.)
    my-gcsescience
    Tassomai
    WHSmiths has a wealth of books on AQA science too.

There’s a lot more, but I can’t remember off the top of my head, as I do edexcel.

Good luck! I like your enthusiasm and determination to study so early; any questions, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    In Year 9 you want to focus less on the memorisation of stuff and more about developing the skills

ReputationRep:
    When are your GCSE exams?

ReputationRep:
    You just don’t revise in year 9 not necessary at all

ReputationRep:
    I didn't start properly revising until halfway through year 11. Honestly short term memory helps me far better than long term.

ReputationRep:
    None?? I have GCSEs in less than 10 weeks and barely revising 30 mins on weeknights lol
    You’ll be fine, you can revise a bit in the Easter holidays

ReputationRep:
    Please don't stress yourself out in year 9, literally all I did then was play cards with my friends

ReputationRep:
    In year 9? Unless you have end of year exams, maybe just a quick look over what you did in lessons so 10 mins max

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. I know a lot of you said I don’t need to revise, however, I want to over-achieve so I will need to study a lot. I found Seneca really useful!

ReputationRep:
    I’m in the exact same boat as you. I’m in Year 9, and I’m not that great in school. However, I too want to become a doctor but that means I need to put in 100% effort. Honestly, for the people saying you will get burned out and give up isn’t true, as if you want to become a doctor and do medicine etc so your going to spend the majority of the next 7-10 years studying to achieve your goal, as your literally working with peoples lives, so your gonna have to be an expert lol. All I’m doing at the moment is going over my weak point in subjects, doing year 9 test papers from YouTube, writing flash cards in science and maths, and making sure I understand what’s going on in my lessons. However, I wouldn’t advise you to take gcse papers now as there will be question on there you have proberably not even learnt yet. Anyways, good luck and don’t give up lol

ReputationRep:
    I’m in the exact same boat as you. I’m in Year 9, and I’m not that great in school. However, I too want to become a doctor but that means I need to put in 100% effort. Honestly, for the people saying you will get burned out and give up isn’t true, as if you want to become a doctor and do medicine etc so your going to spend the majority of the next 7-10 years studying to achieve your goal, as your literally working with peoples lives, so your gonna have to be an expert lol. All I’m doing at the moment is going over my weak point in subjects, doing year 9 test papers from YouTube, writing flash cards in science and maths, and making sure I understand what’s going on in my lessons. However, I wouldn’t advise you to take gcse papers now as there will be question on there you have proberably not even learnt yet. Anyways, good luck and don’t give up lol[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    WOW,Year 9!
    I never revised ANYTHING in year 9, just made sure i understood everything in lessons.

If you really want to study I suggest make notes on every topic or lesson you did at school so in year 10 you don't need to waste your time making notes.
    I really wish i had the same motivation as you , because now my mock exams are coming up and I am making notes on topics I did in year 9 instead of revising the year 10 contents.
    Disclaimer : Make sure you don't overwork and burn yourself out or you will end up hate studying. I suggest maximum 2 hours a day on making notes if you really want to study.

Hope what i wrote was of some use
    Good luck studying!

ReputationRep:
    Use educake for all 3 science it’s a great way to test yourself 🙂 x

ReputationRep:
    I barely even know what GCSEs were in year 9 tbh so 0

ReputationRep:
    You really should not be worrying about GCSEs in year 9. Have some to be happy rather than worrying about school work.
    BUT, if you really just want help in these subjects, Seneca learning has been really helping me at the moment and can help you get more comfortable grades in loads of your subjects but it's fantastic for Science.

Just remember to chill out and do eat get yourself eaten up by exams; that will only hinder you than help you. Good luck x

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.