Turn on thread page Beta

No GCSE passes, I have 1 D, E, F and the rest are Us, I can't afford to retake privately, my English and maths are Us so I don't meet entry requirements to resit in a FE college, I only have functional skills entry level 3 English and maths and 1 entry level 3 certificate in animal care. I am doing level 1 functional skills now in English and maths and level 1 employability.

My only work experience is dog walking, volunteer experience with animals and 1 job I got as a Christmas temp in a restaurant.

My siblings have qualifications, 1 has a very good degree and a very good job they got using their degree and it's not badly paid. My other 1 hasn't got the best pay but had lots of jobs and good qualifications but no degree, both in their 20s and got really good GCSEs. I'm the failure, I have the lowest qualifications and the most worthless and not very good job experience. My chances of success are very low. Chances of a good job? Low. Chances of good pay? Even lower. Chances of me working with animals full time? Low.

I wanted to do a pre access course but had to speak to the college because I read some things about it and it mentioned mature students which means if you do have to 21 which is the mature student age I'm in serious trouble, I need that course as it's my last chance of getting anywhere, I can't wait years. I wanted to do pre access so I'm hoping you can be 18 and start, access course which I'll be 19 by the time I start and then maybe even a degree which will take 3 years or 2, you can choose to add an extra year on to get the better degree but you don't have to, the 2 year one is fine anyway. Age/time doesn't bother me as I'll still be under 25 by the time I finished if I start this year which I seriously hope because I have no decent qualifications to get a decent job.

Statistics show the lower the qualification the lower the pay or the more chance of unemployment, I can't live a life of low pay and hating the jobs I do, if I can't get the pre access course I might as well end everything, I have no future.

There aren't many apprenticeships in my area with animals and the ones I keep finding which are nothing to do with animals you need GCSEs for, I'm f**ked.

Seriously need urgent advice incase there is an age requirement for pre access.

ReputationRep:
    Your going have to be more realistic about your future career.

Seems like working with animals is not going to happen.

Best to find any job that pays you something, and then study for GCSEs/A Levels privately.

Otherwise if 3 years from now you have no work experience and no GCSE you will find it hard to ever get a job

(Original post by hannah00)
    Your going have to be more realistic about your future career.

Seems like working with animals is not going to happen.

Best to find any job that pays you something, and then study for GCSEs/A Levels privately.

Otherwise if 3 years from now you have no work experience and no GCSE you will find it hard to ever get a job
    Yeah well, I don't give up easily and as I'm already dog walking it's going to go in my favour along with volunteering, obviously in 3 years time I'm going to have something.

Sorry, I don't listen to negative advice, only advice from positive people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah well, I don't give up easily and as I'm already dog walking it's going to go in my favour along with volunteering, obviously in 3 years time I'm going to have something.

Sorry, I don't listen to negative advice, only advice from positive people.
    You have 0 GCSEs, You cant afford to study Privately, there are no good animal apprenticeships in your area, you dont want to wait till age 21 to do Pre Access course.

There a huge difference between being positive and being delusional.

You have alot of hard work and sacrifices ahead of you, if you want to avoid a life on the dole.

The time to be positive and work harder was last year, now its time for Plan B.

There are many interesting and satisfying jobs outside of working with animals

ReputationRep:
    If your siblings have a good job surely they sympathise with your predicament and would be willing to help you with finances for you to sit privately?

You have 0 GCSEs, You cant afford to study Privately, there are no good animal apprenticeships in your area, you dont want to wait till age 21 to do Pre Access course.

There a huge difference between being positive and being delusional.

You have alot of hard work and sacrifices ahead of you, if you want to avoid a life on the dole.

The time to be positive and work harder was last year, now its time for Plan B.
    So basically give up a dream career and work low paid crap jobs I hate for the rest of my life yes? Become an embarrassment and a failure to family because I gave up on the career I wanted yes?

I don't want to wait because that course might not exist when I'm at that age, at the moment from my research I can't find apprenticeships but if I get help I might find one.

I'm far from delusional hun.

I also won't live a life on the dole because I won't bother staying alive if it came to that.

There is no plan B and without a little but of positivity what do you have? Nothing. I will just end up life you and destroy people's hope. Obviously I still need to work hard.

Honestly what is wrong with you? Instead of spreading positive advice you sh*t on any hope I had, thank you so much for making me feel crap about myself and make me feel like I have no hope. You must be proud.

Depressing b*tch.

(Original post by Hirsty97)
    If your siblings have a good job surely they sympathise with your predicament and would be willing to help you with finances for you to sit privately?
    I would rather not ask and save up and pay myself even if it takes months. It's kind of embarrassing.

So basically give up a dream career and work low paid crap jobs I hate for the rest of my life yes? Become an embarrassment and a failure to family because I gave up on the career I wanted yes?

I don't want to wait because that course might not exist when I'm at that age, at the moment from my research I can't find apprenticeships but if I get help I might find one.

I also won't live a life on the dole because I won't bother staying alive if it came to that.

There is no plan B and without a little but of positivity what do you have? Nothing. I will just end up life you and destroy people's hope. Obviously I still need to work hard.

Honestly what is wrong with you? Instead of spreading positive advice you sh*t on any hope I had, thank you so much for making me feel crap about myself and make me feel like I have no hope. You must be proud.

Depressing b*tch.
    Interesting jobs I don't want or can't do anyway. As if I'm listening to someone like you. I feel sorry for people around you, or are you alone? Seems like that.

ReputationRep:

Depressing b*tch.
    Why are you so impatient? You have 0 gcses and you need a job to sit your maths and english privately. It could take you years. Be more realistic with your goals because you’re quite unlucky and you have to realise to get to it.. it can take time.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather not ask and save up and pay myself even if it takes months. It's kind of embarrassing.

Decide what GCSEs you want, make it 5 such as: maths, English lit, lang, a science and a humanities. Find an exam centre, dates, prices, then start saving for next year if it approaches the deadline and you haven't got enough saved you can use family members as a last resort to help with finances.

Then you have your GCSEs out of the way and more employment will be accessible to you

People can't help you if you are unwilling to help yourself.

ReputationRep:
    your worried about being embarrassed when your entire future is on the line ? Swallow your pried and ask

I dont know why you think every job other than Animals pays crap ?! Careers in animal care are not that well paying either. There are literally 1000s of jobs that pay more than minimum wage with out needing a degree but you do need GCSEs which is why I suggested you get a minimum wage job for now.

Yes giving up on dreams is part of being an adult. TSR is full of stories of people being rejected from oxbridge/ russel group or other dream creams.

Time to think and act like an adult, than thinking TSR will give you some magical solution involving no sacrifice.

not even reading the rest of your post, when you get basic facts wrong

(Original post by StrawberryMesila)
    Why are you so impatient? You have 0 gcses and you need a job to sit your maths and english privately. It could take you years. Be more realistic with your goals because you’re quite unlucky and you have to realise to get to it.. it can take time.
    I have a job.

Why am I unlucky?

How will it take years?

Why should I give up?

Why is everyone on here so negative?

You all just make me want to end my life so thank you all so much, I might just do it.

your worried about being embarrassed when your entire future is on the line ? Swallow your pried and ask

You're a depressing b*tch

I dont know why you think every job other than Animals pays crap ?! Careers in animal care are not that well paying either. There are literally 1000s of jobs that pay more than minimum wage with out needing a degree but you do need GCSEs which is why I suggested you get a minimum wage job for now.

If you knew how to read you would see that's not what I meant.

Yes giving up on dreams is part of being an adult. TSR is full of stories of people being rejected from oxbridge/ russel group or other dream creams.

I don't give up. Only losers do.

Time to think and act like an adult, than thinking TSR will give you some magical solution involving no sacrifice.

not even reading the rest of your post, when you get basic facts wrong
    Perfect example of nastiness.

ReputationRep:
    I have a job.

Why am I unlucky?

How will it take years?

Why should I give up?

Why is everyone on here so negative?

You all just make me want to end my life so thank you all so much, I might just do it.
    You think everyone is against you when all i’ve said is be realistic. Well then get a better job to pay for your exams or ask your family. You’re clearly not in a good place right now and you’re worrying about it embarrassing???

Decide what GCSEs you want, make it 5 such as: maths, English lit, lang, a science and a humanities. Find an exam centre, dates, prices, then start saving for next year if it approaches the deadline and you haven't got enough saved you can use family members as a last resort to help with finances.

Then you have your GCSEs out of the way and more employment will be accessible to you

People can't help you if you are unwilling to help yourself.
    I am trying to help myself, you know the whole point of writing this post.

I didn't come here to be told to give up.

(Original post by StrawberryMesila)
    You think everyone is against you when all i’ve said is be realistic. Well then get a better job to pay for your exams or ask your family. You’re clearly not in a good place right now and you’re worrying about it embarrassing???
    Oh so I should be embarrassed of failing when everyone does at some point and yet I'm trying to turn it around to get my dream job/career and being told to give up on that? If these idiots could read they wouldn't go out of their way to make me feel 100x worse, or they just don't have a heart. Why should I give up on something I've always wanted to do? My life without animals isn't worth living and other than animals I don't have an idea of what I want to do so there we go.

ReputationRep:

You don't have to give up. You have to be pragmatic and prepare for a lot of work. In the future you could be working in a career you want including animal care but for now you have to focus on getting the minimum qualifications.

ReputationRep:

give up, its time for plan B.

People with actual GCSEs and life experience are telling you, to look at alternatives

ReputationRep:
    You have to accept that you're currently not in the best of situations but that doesn't mean your situation won't change.

I think it's paramount that to begin with you retake your maths and english as that's a basic necessity of getting on the career ladder.

You also need to put personal pride aside, you need assistance... I'm sure your siblings will sympathise and at the least I'm sure they'd aid you with revising and organsining yourself so that you'll pass.

No one told you to give up. You was told to be pragmatic and prepare for a lot of work.
    Oh for God's sake, I know that it's not going to be easy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.