Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I love it when people say "nailed it" and I have no idea why. Makes me smile a little bit haha.

I know I'm not in the best position, but I came here for advice which is why, but I didn't come here to be told to give up on my dream.
    I don't think you need to give up, just put them on the back burner until you get the more immediate issue of your GCSEs etc sorted. That's all. The rest can follow from there, and if you really want to make a go of something in animal care and the related industries, then you can do your best to make that happen after you've improved your lot more generally.

There aren't many shortcuts with this stuff, unfortunately.

(Original post by hannah00)
    Dont really think walking dogs counts as experience, my 10 year cousin can walk dogs. Even make them do tricks.

What employers look for are GCSEs and skills in english and maths.

Given your geographic positions, seems like a career in animal care is unviable, on the bright side at least you wont have to deal with the bad smell of all those animals
    TROLL ALERT.

You are lonely and begging for some attention.

Haha employers will always care more about experience hun, you know that's why some people with degrees can't jobs, no experience. You thick b*tch.

Dog walking is experience as well haha, it's a job, I get paid. I would kill myself if I was related to you.

Dont really think walking dogs counts as experience, my 10 year cousin can walk dogs. Even make them do tricks.

What employers look for are GCSEs and skills in english and maths.

Given your geographic positions, seems like a career in animal care is unviable, on the bright side at least you wont have to deal with the bad smell of all those animals
    You obviously know nothing about the animal industry hun.

(Original post by gjd800)
    I don't think you need to give up, just put them on the back burner until you get the more immediate issue of your GCSEs etc sorted. That's all. The rest can follow from there, and if you really want to make a go of something in animal care and the related industries, then you can do your best to make that happen after you've improved your lot more generally.

There aren't many shortcuts with this stuff, unfortunately.
    I know there's not.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm trying to do? But Hannah has decided to take the troll life and be a b*tch. I know I'm in the worst position right now.
    So there's no reason to be concerned then, no one can ask anymore of someone if they are trying their hardest to improve their situation which you seem to be doing. Though my only critique is that it's foolish not to ask your siblings for help as they'd would willing aid you.

You are coming across as an insufferable individual whether you mean to or not, but disregarding that I have a suggestion.

As you already have experience in volunteering and dog walking, why don’t you volunteer at a local dog rescue and simultaneously work a less desirable job such as retail work? This way, you could continue working with animals (while keeping your spirits up) and earn enough money to allow you to re-take your compulsory GCSEs without causing embarrassment through asking your parents or siblings for help.

Remember, you are only 18 and have a lot of live yet to live, so spending a year or so doing something less favourable will benefit you highly later in life. It is not shameful to need help at such an age where most are just starting to look out for themselves.

The course you want to do should still be around when you are 21, and if it is not then maybe it wasn’t worth doing in the first place in regards to career prospects.

As long as you achieve decent grades (C grade and above) in maths and English you should be able to get onto an access to HE course or apprenticeship that will lead to working with animals - the catch is however, that most of these courses (assuming you are out of formal education for 3 or more years) regard life experience very highly. This is where volunteering and work experience will serve you.

Good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

You are coming across as an insufferable individual whether you mean to or not, but disregarding that I have a suggestion.

As you already have experience in volunteering and dog walking, why don’t you volunteer at a local dog rescue and simultaneously work a less desirable job such as retail work? This way, you could continue working with animals (while keeping your spirits up) and earn enough money to allow you to re-take your compulsory GCSEs without causing embarrassment through asking your parents or siblings for help.

Remember, you are only 18 and have a lot of live yet to live, so spending a year or so doing something less favourable will benefit you highly later in life. It is not shameful to need help at such an age where most are just starting to look out for themselves.

The course you want to do should still be around when you are 21, and if it is not then maybe it wasn’t worth doing in the first place in regards to career prospects.

As long as you achieve decent grades (C grade and above) in maths and English you should be able to get onto an access to HE course or apprenticeship that will lead to working with animals - the catch is however, that most of these courses (assuming you are out of formal education for 3 or more years) regard life experience very highly. This is where volunteering and work experience will serve you.

Good luck.
    well said, no shame in working at McDonalds to fund GCSE retakes

ReputationRep:
    I know there's not.
    I was going to post something positive for you, having been in a similar position, i had no gcse's but i'm a few months away from starting a physiotherapy degree at 23 years old, one of the hardest degrees to gain entry to.

But quite frankly you are vile, you clearly have the wrong attitude your constantly negative in your own post then jump down people throats for being honest and helpful, which was what got me to sort myself out not being fed delusions of grandeur.

You have dog walking experience? great my dog has that, she holds her own lead and everything, i bet i could train her to walk another dog.

Who in their right mind would leave their pet in your care?

You have some of the most appalling gcse i have ever seen, clearly you are thick as ****.

Impatient, rude, delusional total cretin.

ReputationRep:

No GCSE passes, I have 1 D, E, F and the rest are Us, I can't afford to retake privately, my English and maths are Us so I don't meet entry requirements to resit in a FE college, I only have functional skills entry level 3 English and maths and 1 entry level 3 certificate in animal care. I am doing level 1 functional skills now in English and maths and level 1 employability.

My only work experience is dog walking, volunteer experience with animals and 1 job I got as a Christmas temp in a restaurant.

My siblings have qualifications, 1 has a very good degree and a very good job they got using their degree and it's not badly paid. My other 1 hasn't got the best pay but had lots of jobs and good qualifications but no degree, both in their 20s and got really good GCSEs. I'm the failure, I have the lowest qualifications and the most worthless and not very good job experience. My chances of success are very low. Chances of a good job? Low. Chances of good pay? Even lower. Chances of me working with animals full time? Low.

I wanted to do a pre access course but had to speak to the college because I read some things about it and it mentioned mature students which means if you do have to 21 which is the mature student age I'm in serious trouble, I need that course as it's my last chance of getting anywhere, I can't wait years. I wanted to do pre access so I'm hoping you can be 18 and start, access course which I'll be 19 by the time I start and then maybe even a degree which will take 3 years or 2, you can choose to add an extra year on to get the better degree but you don't have to, the 2 year one is fine anyway. Age/time doesn't bother me as I'll still be under 25 by the time I finished if I start this year which I seriously hope because I have no decent qualifications to get a decent job.

Statistics show the lower the qualification the lower the pay or the more chance of unemployment, I can't live a life of low pay and hating the jobs I do, if I can't get the pre access course I might as well end everything, I have no future.

There aren't many apprenticeships in my area with animals and the ones I keep finding which are nothing to do with animals you need GCSEs for, I'm f**ked.

Seriously need urgent advice incase there is an age requirement for pre access.
    As many people are rightfully saying above - You do need to be realistic with your options. Patience is key here. If you’re set on working with animals, that’s great! But it won’t be easy. And you need to start from GCSE’s and work your way up. There is no fast route to a well paying job, and there’s plenty of candidates with good qualifications going up against you.

Be patient, get a job, yes likely a minimum wage one, and save up to take your GCSE’s again. Then move onto A-Levels/Other level 3 qualifications, then forwards from there. This is gonna take time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Nailed it.

OP is not in the best of positions, that is a fact. But there are steps to take to mitigate that, and OP is trying to take said steps. Also a fact.

Good luck with it all, in any case.
    it's only a minor shortcoming, it can easliy be mitigated so long as OP understands the position they are in and implements a strategic plan to get back on track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomnelson_)
    I was going to post something positive for you, having been in a similar position, i had no gcse's but i'm a few months away from starting a physiotherapy degree at 23 years old, one of the hardest degrees to gain entry to.

But quite frankly you are vile, you clearly have the wrong attitude your constantly negative in your own post then jump down people throats for being honest and helpful, which was what got me to sort myself out not being fed delusions of grandeur.

You have dog walking experience? great my dog has that, she holds her own lead and everything, i bet i could train her to walk another dog.

You have some of the most appalling gcse i have ever seen, clearly you are thick as ****.

Can I ask how you went from no GCSE’s to about to begin a physiotherapy degree? Congratulations on that! x

Good luck.
    I didn't mean to come off as not wanting working any other job at all, I also have no issue with people working in things like retail wether it's been or going to be for years or they are doing it while studying, but personally I don't want that kind of job for years, I want to work with animals long term but short term I'm willing to work a different type of job.

Also as I do dog walking am in college I don't have time for volunteering or retail, not at the moment anyway.

The pre access is designed to get you GCSEs and the college allows you to progress on to an access course of your choice. You also do things like work experience and some work to do with the access course you want to do while getting the GCSEs.

Shut up you sad freak.

(Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Can I ask how you went from no GCSE’s to about to begin a physiotherapy degree? Congratulations on that! x
    I wouldn't congratulate a scumbag like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    it's only a minor shortcoming, it can easliy be mitigated so long as OP understands the position they are in and implements a strategic plan to get back on track.
    Quite right.

ReputationRep:

I would never harm an animal, but you, my God if I knew you in real life haha, you're clearly thick for failing GCSEs yourself, you also can't read. I had severe depression and anxiety and was bullied you sick judgemental f**k. I also know people with only Us who also had severe anxiety and depression. It's people like you who are what's wrong with the world.

Why are you still here b*tch

ReputationRep:
    Why are you still here b*tch

Im going to be sending your details to the RSPCA and screenshots of this thread, dont think you have the required mental requirements to be around animals unsupervised

Is this your facebook profile http://facebook.com/profile.php?=7332236 ?

Im going to be sending your details to the RSPCA and screenshots of this thread, dont think you have the required mental requirements to be around animals unsupervised

I don't have Facebook you creepy stalker. You need locking up. Also what details exactly?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.