Turn on thread page Beta

Having friendship problems with my best friend watch

me and my best friend were really close. we talked to each other about things that had upset us or annoyed us and always cheered each other up. we had opened up to each other about our past and we have never judged each other. I opened up to her about my depression and she was very supportive. she went with me to my GP to get help with it and talked to me when ever i felt down. my depression kept getting worse and i started getting paranoid about my friendships. my best friend was always reassuring me though. my depression got really bad and i tried to take my life (im fine now though). she was still the same and as supportive as ever. but I was like this for a while. it got to the point where nothing anyone said changed how i thought or felt. my best friend then started to get frustrated at me and we argued occasionally which is the first time that we had. it got to the point that they were sometimes making me feel even worse so i stopped talking to them as much. then one day they stopped talking to me completely. they blanked me in school, stopped messaging me, stopped checking on me, acted like they didn't know me etc. i felt like the friendship was over and seeing them on social media would make me feel upset so i deleted them. There was an open day at the school and i helped out and so did my best friend. this was about 3 months after i deleted them and we hadn't talked since. they then started to talk to me about what i had made in my course. later on i re added them and said sorry they said i didnt do anything wrong and left it at that. we still dont talk a lot now but i would like us to be how we used to be. I also still have depression and i have no one to talk to about it now and it is recently starting to act up again. I feel awkward - (i cant think of the word to use) talking to my best friend about it now and i dont know if they would want me to. I dont want to ask them because that would make me feel awkward as well and we are still not fully talking. I also never got told why she cut contact with me and she never said anything about it. Im also not fully happy with them over it. do you think there is a chance that we could be as good as we were again? what can i do? also should i try talking to them about my depression again? if so then how do i go about talking about it? thank you for reading this, sorry that it is very long.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    me and my best friend were really close. we talked to each other about things that had upset us or annoyed us and always cheered each other up. we had opened up to each other about our past and we have never judged each other. I opened up to her about my depression and she was very supportive. she went with me to my GP to get help with it and talked to me when ever i felt down. my depression kept getting worse and i started getting paranoid about my friendships. my best friend was always reassuring me though. my depression got really bad and i tried to take my life (im fine now though). she was still the same and as supportive as ever. but I was like this for a while. it got to the point where nothing anyone said changed how i thought or felt. my best friend then started to get frustrated at me and we argued occasionally which is the first time that we had. it got to the point that they were sometimes making me feel even worse so i stopped talking to them as much. then one day they stopped talking to me completely. they blanked me in school, stopped messaging me, stopped checking on me, acted like they didn't know me etc. i felt like the friendship was over and seeing them on social media would make me feel upset so i deleted them. There was an open day at the school and i helped out and so did my best friend. this was about 3 months after i deleted them and we hadn't talked since. they then started to talk to me about what i had made in my course. later on i re added them and said sorry they said i didnt do anything wrong and left it at that. we still dont talk a lot now but i would like us to be how we used to be. I also still have depression and i have no one to talk to about it now and it is recently starting to act up again. I feel awkward - (i cant think of the word to use) talking to my best friend about it now and i dont know if they would want me to. I dont want to ask them because that would make me feel awkward as well and we are still not fully talking. I also never got told why she cut contact with me and she never said anything about it. Im also not fully happy with them over it. do you think there is a chance that we could be as good as we were again? what can i do? also should i try talking to them about my depression again? if so then how do i go about talking about it? thank you for reading this, sorry that it is very long.
    In such a situation you want answers and support, but your friendship is very fragile.

Do not go to her for them as the friendship wont survive it. You have needs at the moment, but you need to get them met from elsewhere and protect your friendship.

Get the depression under control and then nurse the friendship back to normal. Maybe in time you can be close again, but sharing the depression and asking for answers is not the way to go at the moment. Depressed people sometimes lean too much and are unaware of the other person. That could drive her away.

Get some therapy and join a support group. Get better and then try to heal the friendship.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    In such a situation you want answers and support, but your friendship is very fragile.

Do not go to her for them as the friendship wont survive it. You have needs at the moment, but you need to get them met from elsewhere and protect your friendship.

Get the depression under control and then nurse the friendship back to normal. Maybe in time you can be close again, but sharing the depression and asking for answers is not the way to go at the moment. Depressed people sometimes lean too much and are unaware of the other person. That could drive her away.

Get some therapy and join a support group. Get better and then try to heal the friendship.
    thank you for letting me know. ok i will try find some support groups. ok thank you and thank you for your time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.