Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm a first year undergrad, and am currently broke (like bank acount ~ £10 broke). I tried to apply for a job at McDonald's but I was rejected (Nandos rejected me 3x times). I have now lost all my confidence and more or less all my money. With the exams looming over, I would appreciate it if someone can give me a helpful tip (by which I mean advise). By the way, I don't think I can get the student hardship fund nor can I ask my parents for help. I would really appreciate some helpful advice.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Another Person6)
    Hi all,

I'm a first year undergrad, and am currently broke (like bank acount ~ £10 broke). I tried to apply for a job at McDonald's but I was rejected (Nandos rejected me 3x times). I have now lost all my confidence and more or less all my money. With the exams looming over, I would appreciate it if someone can give me a helpful tip (by which I mean advise). By the way, I don't think I can get the student hardship fund nor can I ask my parents for help. I would really appreciate some helpful advice.
    Overdraft or sell stuff or foodbank.

Put out more applications and check they are of an ok standard with careers. Not just one or two but ten or twenty. there are more employers than Nandos and McD.

Work out why you have no money and if you can alter your expenditure.
    Learn to cook.
    Try the hardship fund and check why you cnat apply.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have you only applied to those 2 places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Have you only applied to those 2 places?
    Mostly, but about eight shops between them
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Another Person6)
    Mostly, but about eight shops between them
    You need to widen your job search.

ReputationRep:
    Try your students' union at university - there might be bar work or vacancies in shops/cafes owned by the uni. You could also look into being a student ambassador, but that's a lot less frequent so might not provide enough finances. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Student finance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.