The Student Room Group

Broke

Hi all,

I'm a first year undergrad, and am currently broke (like bank acount ~ £10 broke). I tried to apply for a job at McDonald's but I was rejected (Nandos rejected me 3x times). I have now lost all my confidence and more or less all my money. With the exams looming over, I would appreciate it if someone can give me a helpful tip (by which I mean advise). By the way, I don't think I can get the student hardship fund nor can I ask my parents for help. I would really appreciate some helpful advice.
Original post by Another Person6
Hi all,

I'm a first year undergrad, and am currently broke (like bank acount ~ £10 broke). I tried to apply for a job at McDonald's but I was rejected (Nandos rejected me 3x times). I have now lost all my confidence and more or less all my money. With the exams looming over, I would appreciate it if someone can give me a helpful tip (by which I mean advise). By the way, I don't think I can get the student hardship fund nor can I ask my parents for help. I would really appreciate some helpful advice.

Overdraft or sell stuff or foodbank.

Put out more applications and check they are of an ok standard with careers. Not just one or two but ten or twenty. there are more employers than Nandos and McD.

Work out why you have no money and if you can alter your expenditure.
Learn to cook.
Try the hardship fund and check why you cnat apply.
Have you only applied to those 2 places?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Have you only applied to those 2 places?

Mostly, but about eight shops between them
Original post by Another Person6
Mostly, but about eight shops between them

You need to widen your job search.
Try your students' union at university - there might be bar work or vacancies in shops/cafes owned by the uni. You could also look into being a student ambassador, but that's a lot less frequent so might not provide enough finances. Good luck!
Student finance

Quick Reply

Latest