Turn on thread page Beta

Synthesis of Paracetamol by Acetylation of 4-Aminophenol watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'll be doing this experiment using 4-aminophenol and acetic anhydride as well as triethylamine. I'm not sure what the purpose of triethylamine is, maybe to soak up the by-product which is ethanoic acid? So ethanoic acid + TEA --> triethylammonium acetate.

I cant find anything online, most experiments i found didnt even need TEA, they mainly used water.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xal)
    Hi, i'll be doing this experiment using 4-aminophenol and acetic anhydride as well as triethylamine. I'm not sure what the purpose of triethylamine is, maybe to soak up the by-product which is ethanoic acid? So ethanoic acid + TEA --> triethylammonium acetate.

I cant find anything online, most experiments i found didnt even need TEA, they mainly used water.

Thank you!
    The triethylamine acts as a nucleophilic catalyst.

The amine group on 4-aminophenol is slow to attack because its lone pair is stabilised by delocalisation around the aromatic ring, this makes the rate of reaction slow.

Triethylamine improves the rate by attacking the anhydride to give CH3CON(Et)3 +
    with the charge on the Nitrogen atom. This charged species is unstable and is therefore a better electrophile, so the 4-aminophenol attacks it more readily, reproducing the tertiary amine.

(note a secondary or primary amine could lose a proton after reaction with the anhydride and would thus become a stable amide, but with tertiary amines there is no proton to lose)

This sort of nucleophilic catalyst is quite common, probably the most common reagent to carry out the role is pyridine.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.