Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

RIP Stephen Hawking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Very sad to hear this. He was someone I thought would always be alive. Silly thing to think, but there are some people you just don't imagine ever dying. Hope it was peaceful for him.
    I know what you mean; I feel the exact same way about Stephen Fry. It will be an extremely sad day when he leaves this world, and I really don't know how I'm likely to take it when it happens.

ReputationRep:
    One of the greatest minds of our time. Still can't believe he's gone to be honest.. :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Since his death, there have been more than 2 million posts on twitter about it

ReputationRep:
    Ngl, I doubted whether or not it was real when I first read about his death...like a sad joke or something. Turns out it's actually true.

R.I.P Stephen - such a shame a remarkable mind like his was trapped in a body that didn't work. Such an inspirational individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    A medical and scientific marvel and a true legend. I hope one day he joins the people on a bank note or something alongside Churchill etc.
    I would personally favour Oscar Wilde being featured on a British banknote, to tell you the truth.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Really cannot believe this...it’s incredible to think how long he lived given his original outlook was only a few years. Remarkable man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    This was clearly done my Moscow.

On a more serious note RIP, a dreadful loss.
    How is that funny? Looks like you're trying to disparage the fact that Sergei Skripal and others were attacked by Russia.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Harold98)
    How is that funny? Looks like you're trying to disparage the fact that Sergei Skripal and others were attacked by Russia.
    If you say so champ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    If you say so champ
    It's not just me saying it. Do you have no respect for our nation's security services who have concluded that the nerve agent used is only made by the Russian state, i.e. no one else could have done it? This is not something to smile about. This is extremely concerning and your nonchalance about it is shocking and highly disrespectful.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Harold98)
    It's not just me saying it. Do you have no respect for our nation's security services who have concluded that the nerve agent used is only made by the Russian state, i.e. no one else could have done it? This is not something to smile about. This is extremely concerning and your nonchalance about it is shocking and highly disrespectful.
    Mmm because nothing went missing during the dissolution of the ussr right?
    Again, if you say so.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is a pretty sad thing to read. The guy was a legend who made so many contributions to physics and never let his illness get in the way of life and still retained a great sense of humour.

He'll be deeply missed :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Very sad news.

Stephen Hawking was one of those figures that defined the time we lived in. For young people, we grew up with Hawking representing the very best of science. He became a part of the world's consciousness, a part of what it meant to be living in the 21st century, and we never really knew a time when that wasn't the case.

So while it is sad to hear of his passing, I feel incredibly privileged to grow up in Hawking's lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated physicist. Most people who praise him don't even understand basic physics.

ReputationRep:
    Some brilliant stories coming out about him:

"Hawking story was doing rounds at Newsnight. Producer left in room setting up for interview. Pulled out lead for light and Hawkins slumped forward in chair like disconnected something vital. Producer runs for help, returns to room to find Hawking chuckling."

ReputationRep:
    Professor Hawking had a razor sharp wit:

During an appearance on Last Week Tonight with Jon Oliver, the host asked Hawking: ‘You have stated that you believe that there could be an infinite number of parallel universes. Does that mean there is a universe out there where I am smarter than you?’ To which, Prof Hawking hit back: ‘Yes. And also a universe where you are funny.’

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death and Taxes)
    Overrated physicist. Most people who praise him don't even understand basic physics.
    You don't need an understanding of someone's field of study to respect them. He's not only respected for his work but for his attitude towards personal challenges and life in general.

Also, the work he did do in cosmology was truly groundbreaking. I wouldn't call him overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sad to hear about people dying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHappyStudent)
    You don't need an understanding of someone's field of study to respect them. He's not only respected for his work but for his attitude towards personal challenges and life in general.

Also, the work he did do in cosmology was truly groundbreaking. I wouldn't call him overrated.
    I wouldn't worry—'Death and Taxes' was clearly just trying (and failing) to be edgy. I doubt he/she has even studied physics at university level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death and Taxes)
    I'd rather Stephen Hawking was overrated than... about a million others. I read some books on space because of him. Far better than other things I could do inspired by the so-called popular or influential 'others'.

ReputationRep:
    i think Hawkins should be remembered not just for his great achievements but what his great achievements represent in regard to the human spirit and will. Here was a man who was written off and had everything against him, with health problems that would make most people give up entirely and yet he endured and achieved so much that he literally changed the world in many ways.

In dark times when we think the problems that we have in life are to much and wonder if we can endure and feel like surrendering it is people like this who we should look to and remember that with an iron will the human spirit is nearly invincible.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.