Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    i think Hawkins should be remembered not just for his great achievements but what his great achievements represent in regard to the human spirit and will. Here was a man who was written off and had everything against him, with health problems that would make most people give up entirely and yet he endured and achieved so much that he literally changed the world in many ways.

In dark times when we think the problems that we have in life are to much and wonder if we can endure and feel like surrendering it is people like this who we should look to and remember that with an iron will the human spirit is nearly invincible.
    I agree with this. He talked a lot about overcoming his horrendous health problems in order to achieve the seemingly impossible. A complete inspiration. I can't believe anyone would think otherwise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This was so unexpected - he was being interviewed only last week, nobody saw any indication

ReputationRep:

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Medrat)
    I agree with this. He talked a lot about overcoming his horrendous health problems in order to achieve the seemingly impossible. A complete inspiration. I can't believe anyone would think otherwise.
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    i think Hawkins should be remembered not just for his great achievements but what his great achievements represent in regard to the human spirit and will. Here was a man who was written off and had everything against him, with health problems that would make most people give up entirely and yet he endured and achieved so much that he literally changed the world in many ways.

In dark times when we think the problems that we have in life are to much and wonder if we can endure and feel like surrendering it is people like this who we should look to and remember that with an iron will the human spirit is nearly invincible.
    Well said.

He often said that after his diagnosis with Motor-Neurons at the age of twenty one and given no more than two years to live, he reached the bottom and he viewed his entire life from then onwards as a bonus.

It is a bonus for humanity that he was born in the age of science and technology and not an earlier time. Semiconductors, computers and modern health care enabled him to communicate and achieve more than the vast majority of humans living at the same time.

Ignore the loser trolls on this thread. They only prove how pathetic they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...d-76?CMP=fb_gu

What a sad day for humanity.
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to do his accounts

As well as being a great pop scientists lets not forget his disdian for the Tories. He thought they were utter knobs. Also his support for the NHS and it's guiding principles. :top:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tephen-hawking

Was also a fully automated luxery communist :yay:

RIP comrade :rip:

ReputationRep:
    "It's sad...so sad...its a sad sad situation"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Professor Hawking had a razor sharp wit:

During an appearance on Last Week Tonight with Jon Oliver, the host asked Hawking: ‘You have stated that you believe that there could be an infinite number of parallel universes. Does that mean there is a universe out there where I am smarter than you?’ To which, Prof Hawking hit back: ‘Yes. And also a universe where you are funny.’

It's a shame he never did that series on a consistent basis. I remember he did one with a famous zoologist too
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    An inspiring for many people, who despite his situation, maintained the will to live and contributed to the field of physics. He will be sorely missed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...d-76?CMP=fb_gu

What a sad day for humanity.
    lol... is it?

ReputationRep:
    Thought his name was Hawkins, more upset over the realisation that i’ve been wrong my whole life than his death.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to get upset when somebody absolutely smashes living their life, regardless of what is thrown at them. He achieved a hell of a lot with time he was told he wouldn't have. Respect. I've seen a person with the same illness go from normal-functioning adult to death in less than 2 years. So 50+ years, whilst achieving what he did is pretty special.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Thought his name was Hawkins, more upset over the realisation that i’ve been wrong my whole life than his death.
    You're mixing him up with this guy https://www.southampton.ac.uk/oes/re...ff/sh3u09.page

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was already dead. What a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You're mixing him up with this guy https://www.southampton.ac.uk/oes/re...ff/sh3u09.page
    Close enough, he’s sciencey. Still alive too... :hide:

ReputationRep:
    Such a great dude. An absolute inspiration who will be missed by many.

ReputationRep:
    More of a Roger Penrose fan. Don't care for these celebrity scientists.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The brightest star in the universe has gone out as a supernova, radiating its array of matter and influence across the galaxy, permeating into every individual; growing humanity. Although an "intellectual vacuum has been introduced, it is not an empty one", it is filled with a plethora of inspired geniuses and motivated revolutionaries, who are fuelled onto their ambition and dedication towards their contribution to science. Hawking's phenomenal contribution to our scientific unerstanding on astrophysics and the universe has forever evolved our perception, in addition to being a pivotal point in the late 20th century. Another star is born, whilst another decays.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The world loses another great and intelligent mind. Good person who lost his life and he will always be remembered, regardless if you care or not, he did alot of good for the world

ReputationRep:
    So sad he was a great scientist 😭😭😭😭😭

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.