Turn on thread page Beta

Regreting going to college instead of sixth form watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So after my GCSEs I decided to go to a college to do a makeup course, since I was and still am very much into it, but it was just well.. not what I expected at all and the college I ended up going to was so bad, the people, teachers everything about it.

Just last week I dropped out/got withdrawn because of my attendance. I didn’t leave earlier/at the beginning of the year because I thought I would be able to handle it and somehow finish this course. But I was so discouraged and hated that college so I didn’t attend my classes. I saw no point in doing it any further.

Altough I never thought I would say that, I genuinely miss learning. My GCSE results were okay, I passed everything and I would really want to do an A level in History(I got an A), Spanish(B) and then Psychology - I don’t know about this because I got C in Science and most places require at least a B. I could do Philosophy instead, I got an A in R.E. I don’t know if this is a good set of subject but these are just what I’m interested in.

I’m so lost, anxious and depressed at the moment because I don’t even know if I will be able to start the A levels at 17. Is it not too late to apply? Also most places require some sort of recommendation from current school, obviously I wouldn’t be able to provide that. Will any school accept my application if I say that I dropped out of college? Or am I supposed to lie and say that I took a gap year? I feel like just because of choosing that course in that college I wasted my future. I’m not even sure what I want to be but I’m thinking more and more about actually going to uni, so that’s why i want to do the A levels. My only dream job I can think of is a flight attendant, but I’m not even sure what I need for that.

I’m just obviously very lost and I would be soo grateful for any tips in regards to my current situation and how to get out of it instead of giving up on life and becoming even more depressed..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliciaxcx)
    So after my GCSEs I decided to go to a college to do a makeup course, since I was and still am very much into it, but it was just well.. not what I expected at all and the college I ended up going to was so bad, the people, teachers everything about it.

Just last week I dropped out/got withdrawn because of my attendance. I didn’t leave earlier/at the beginning of the year because I thought I would be able to handle it and somehow finish this course. But I was so discouraged and hated that college so I didn’t attend my classes. I saw no point in doing it any further.

Altough I never thought I would say that, I genuinely miss learning. My GCSE results were okay, I passed everything and I would really want to do an A level in History(I got an A), Spanish(B) and then Psychology - I don’t know about this because I got C in Science and most places require at least a B. I could do Philosophy instead, I got an A in R.E. I don’t know if this is a good set of subject but these are just what I’m interested in.

I’m so lost, anxious and depressed at the moment because I don’t even know if I will be able to start the A levels at 17. Is it not too late to apply? Also most places require some sort of recommendation from current school, obviously I wouldn’t be able to provide that. Will any school accept my application if I say that I dropped out of college? Or am I supposed to lie and say that I took a gap year? I feel like just because of choosing that course in that college I wasted my future. I’m not even sure what I want to be but I’m thinking more and more about actually going to uni, so that’s why i want to do the A levels. My only dream job I can think of is a flight attendant, but I’m not even sure what I need for that.

I’m just obviously very lost and I would be soo grateful for any tips in regards to my current situation and how to get out of it instead of giving up on life and becoming even more depressed..
    The only people who can truly answer your question are the colleges you would be interested in.

I do know people who have started A-Levels later and, on the whole, it seems entirely doable. I do history at A-Level atm and I love it. The only problem I can see for you is taking Spanish after a 1 year break. It's a really tough subject and trying to get back up to speed after a year not studying it would be tough. For arts subjects like English, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Law, Business etc. your year out wouldn't be an issue because the content is completely different to GCSE anyway.

Good Luck! Get in touch with some local Sixth-Forms and see what they say.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HT2412)
    The only people who can truly answer your question are the colleges you would be interested in.

I do know people who have started A-Levels later and, on the whole, it seems entirely doable. I do history at A-Level atm and I love it. The only problem I can see for you is taking Spanish after a 1 year break. It's a really tough subject and trying to get back up to speed after a year not studying it would be tough. For arts subjects like English, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Law, Business etc. your year out wouldn't be an issue because the content is completely different to GCSE anyway.

Good Luck! Get in touch with some local Sixth-Forms and see what they say.
    Thank you!

I will try to apply to some sixth forms but I'm nervous that they will reject me as soon as they find out that I got withdrawn from that college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliciaxcx)
    Thank you!

I will try to apply to some sixth forms but I'm nervous that they will reject me as soon as they find out that I got withdrawn from that college.
    How about giving them a quick call or email before you apply? That way they'll already know your situation and you won't be wasting time on pointless applications.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would contact a couple of sixth forms (or colleges which offer A levels if there are any near you) and ask for a meeting with the sixth form admissions person. You can then explain what you have told us - emphasise how much you miss learning, how you regret not doing A levels, how much you would like to study your chosen subject. Do a bit of research into what the courses cover so you can talk about what you find interesting - you could do that for psychology too, there are lots of popular psychology books you can read. I would hope that a sixth form would be keen to have someone who has put it a bit of effort to find out about the courses, and who has chosen to go back to studying.

You have 3 years of funding for sixth form, so it is perfectly possible to try something for a year and then change your mind and do something else for a couple of year. You may need to get a move on though - I don't know about your area, but here school sixth forms have already offered places.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.