Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I switched lanes and the car now behind me in that lane crashes am I responsible? I would say about 3-5 seconds after I merged into the lane I hear a beep and the sound of a crash it was dark but I saw the car behind me stop am I at fault if he crashed or is there the possibility that the person wasn’t paying attention and didn’t notice I had merged into their lane? My car was not damaged.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ELL12rt5)
    I switched lanes and the car now behind me in that lane crashes am I responsible? I would say about 3-5 seconds after I merged into the lane I hear a beep and the sound of a crash it was dark but I saw the car behind me stop am I at fault if he crashed or is there the possibility that the person wasn’t paying attention and didn’t notice I had merged into their lane? My car was not damaged.
    What did it crash in to if not you? Did they have to take evasive action because you pulled into their lane when you shouldn't have? There's not enough information here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    What did it crash in to if not you? Did they have to take evasive action because you pulled into their lane when you shouldn't have? There's not enough information here.
    There was enough room for me to switch lanes. I don’t know what they crashed into.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ELL12rt5)
    There was enough room for me to switch lanes. I don’t know what they crashed into.
    Didn't you stop...?

ReputationRep:
    What could they have crashed into? I don’t understand... did they crash into the side of the road or a wall or something? Doesn’t sound like it was your fault, did he beep you as you moved across? Did you give plenty of warning via indicators as to what you were doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    What could they have crashed into? I don’t understand... did they crash into the side of the road or a wall or something? Doesn’t sound like it was your fault, did he beep you as you moved across? Did you give plenty of warning via indicators as to what you were doing?
    I believe he would have hit the sidewalk, he beeped after I had already crossed over and I did indicate before I switched.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Didn't you stop...?
    This ^^^

Pretty sure you're not supposed to leave the scene of an accident. Maybe you could claim you didn't realise he crashed but it's not good you left... what if they were hurt or unable to get home?

If you indicated early enough and changed lanes with enough room then it's not your fault but I cannot imagine why he would have beeped at you if that was the case. Even if you were indicating you shouldn't have pulled across unless you thought you could merge without causing an accident.

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it he braked and got rear ended. But lack of info.

ReputationRep:
    It is hard to tell from the information provided. It could be the gap was smaller than you thought and caused him to brake, or it could be that the other driver just wasn't paying attention while you changed lanes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    It is hard to tell from the information provided. It could be the gap was smaller than you thought and caused him to brake, or it could be that the other driver just wasn't paying attention while you changed lanes.
    But, according to the OP, the other driver didn't sound the horn until 3-5 seconds after they had changed lane. It's very limited information, but that alone would suggest there was enough room. Sounds like the other driver was either distracted/drunk, avoiding something hard to see at night (a pedestrian? an animal?), or perhaps a mechanical failure and the beep was someone else.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.