Turn on thread page Beta

Swallow (Dysphagia) awareness day 2018! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This week is nutrition and hydration week and today is swallowing awareness day! We don't realise how many people are affected by a reduced or absent swallow. There are many conditions which are affected in both children and adults:

Name:  Screenshot_20180314-080533.png
Views: 60
Size:  383.4 KB

I work as a SLT in an adult acute hospital so this affects a lot of patients I see, some get better and some don't. Decision about tube feeding are very common and often fees at risk decisions too. Feel free to ask me any questions

Have you or a loved one been affected by this? You can share your experience below. You can post anonymously

To find out more please see the following link:

http://www.givingvoiceuk.org/swallowing-awareness-day/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Some of the suggested ways to raise awareness:

"Getting involved with Swallowing Awareness Day? Below are some ideas you might like to try…

• The Great British Blend Off! – Create and share a modified version of your favourite meal or dessert!
    • Take the Cake Challenge! – Try eating cake without using your lips, tongue or teeth. Create a stand and invite people to try with you
    • Mocktail anyone? Create and share your favourite cocktail, stage 1, 2 or 3 – you decide.
    • How does it feel? To be fed, to be helped to drink, to have your mouth cleaned? Run a little workshop to raise awareness.
    • Come Dine with Me! – Host a ‘special meal’ for friends, all with a little modification of course.
    • Use our Swallowing Awareness Day puzzles to engage the public, colleagues, friends and family with information about dysphagia.
    • Host a stand – with these materials you can go places! Be interactive and creative as you raise awareness.
    • Hold an indoor picnic with modified food and liquids.
    • Working in a school? Why not hold a creative session to educate the pupils about people’s swallowing difficulties?
    • Talk to your local farmer’s market to see if they would be prepared to join the campaign.
    • Run a 24-hour thickened fluid challenge for colleagues, friends, and family.
    • Take your campaign to the heart of the community by inviting your local MP, press."
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Had no idea this was a thing but now I do so thanks for raising awareness.
    Noone I know has told me they have it but it's possible they secretly do.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Had no idea this was a thing but now I do so thanks for raising awareness.
    Noone I know has told me they have it but it's possible they secretly do.
    It's very common not to know this a thing. But people having difficulties with eating and drinking should be so much more commonly known and supported. We eat and drink without thinking, occasionally we might cough on the odd sip of water but this is the reality for some people all the time and their diet and fluid needs to be altered or even not have anything via their mouth.

This is actually quite upsetting and a hard ordeal for those who have dysphagia I once read a article about someone who had this condition following a stroke its very upsetting because she cannot go out with friends to eat and prefers to have her mushy blended food away from her family because of "embarrassment", and so because of that it led to social isolation and depression. I also have applied to do undergraduate SLT at Uni in September so will probably come across this condition and many other sad conditions which sometimes makes me wonder why I chose it ! wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    This week is nutrition and hydration week and today is swallowing awareness day! We don't realise how many people are affected by a reduced or absent swallow. There are many conditions which are affected in both children and adults:

Name:  Screenshot_20180314-080533.png
Views: 60
Size:  383.4 KB

I work as a SLT in an adult acute hospital so this affects a lot of patients I see, some get better and some don't. Decision about tube feeding are very common and often fees at risk decisions too. Feel free to ask me any questions

Have you or a loved one been affected by this? You can share your experience below. You can post anonymously

To find out more please see the following link:

http://www.givingvoiceuk.org/swallowing-awareness-day/
    also effects some of those with muscular distrophy.

My girlfriend can swallow

I always swallow
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My girlfriend can swallow
    I always swallow
    Are you two dating? :holmes:

I'm surprised it took so long for such comments to be honest. But it is a serious issue and can be fatal for people.

ReputationRep:
    Wait hold up.. Man is baffled.

What is man not meant to be swallowing here?

I thought it was semen.

EDIT-Don't worry I don't swallow. I don't swing from that side of the tree!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    also effects some of those with muscular distrophy.
    Yes defineitly it can impact so many people, including those with mental health as well as physical health problems which of course often coexist.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This is actually quite upsetting and a hard ordeal for those who have dysphagia I once read a article about someone who had this condition following a stroke its very upsetting because she cannot go out with friends to eat and prefers to have her mushy blended food away from her family because of "embarrassment", and so because of that it led to social isolation and depression. I also have applied to do undergraduate SLT at Uni in September so will probably come across this condition and many other sad conditions which sometimes makes me wonder why I chose it ! wish me luck!
    Aww glad to hear it! Let me know if you want to chat about the course/career it can be sad but also so rewarding! We really do take for granted things like talking, eating, and drinking!

ReputationRep:
    No I spit

ReputationRep:
    I never knew anything about this so thank you for raising awareness about it!

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    How does it feel? To be fed, to be helped to drink, to have your mouth cleaned? Run a little workshop to raise awareness
    The idea of someone having to help feed me or even help me drink something, (a task I do everday without any thought going into it) is really quite upsetting. It must feel awful not having that level of independence in a task people can do from a very young age and with very little thought.

ReputationRep:
    Not saying I have dysphagia but I've always found it difficult to swallow pills. I remember freaking out and panicking every day after breakfast when I'd have to swallow these horrendous cod liver oil tablets. Luckily it's gotten significantly better as I've got older as I've always been one to take a lot of pills, but it's not something I'm 100% comfortable with even now. Thank god the pill is so tiny!

ReputationRep:
    I've come across it as a side effect of chemotherapy or radiotherapy during my course, never truly appreciated it till this post
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Limechrome)
    I never knew anything about this so thank you for raising awareness about it!

The idea of someone having to help feed me or even help me drink something, (a task I do everday without any thought going into it) is really quite upsetting. It must feel awful not having that level of independence in a task people can do from a very young age and with very little thought.
    I'm glad it's helpful. Indeed it's very sad that people have to be fed, I have to feed a lot of the patients I work with because they either don't have the physical or cognitive ability, or both. We try and preserve dignity as much as possible encouraging and supporting self feeding, but it's not always possible
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Not saying I have dysphagia but I've always found it difficult to swallow pills. I remember freaking out and panicking every day after breakfast when I'd have to swallow these horrendous cod liver oil tablets. Luckily it's gotten significantly better as I've got older as I've always been one to take a lot of pills, but it's not something I'm 100% comfortable with even now. Thank god the pill is so tiny!
    Really glad it's got better. Although this is quite common, it certainly causes a lot of panic (I've had this myself). Sometimes medications can be made into a syrup/liquid form or crushed e.g into a yoghurt (depending on the medication) to help people swallow them
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by lilGem)
    I've come across it as a side effect of chemotherapy or radiotherapy during my course, never truly appreciated it till this post
    What's your course?

Yes that is certainly a cause. Also a lot of head and neck cancers too :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I have difficulty swallowing because of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. My GP thinks it's probably because my oesophagus has gotten lazy and no longer is able to do peristalsis effectively. I frequently have issues even swallowing my own spit. It's very annoying and sometimes dangerous.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.