Turn on thread page Beta

Is it better to run a mile than walk/run 3? watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    My fitness levels are not great. Although I've lost a fair amount of weight, the majority of the weight loss has been due to changes in diet and have not been cardio driven.

My ultimate goal would be to do a 15-20 minute 5k but that's a long term thing. I'm going to join a training regime with a local running club from mid April if they accept me but till then, I'll see what I can do at my gym.

I've been focusing on trying to make my treadmill sessions longer and usually end up alternating between walking and running 5k (3 miles). I wonder if it would be best to focus on getting a consistent mile even if it does kill my endurance for the session perhaps walking and trying some light jogging for the rest of the half an hr.

ReputationRep:
    So you're aiming at improving your time on a 5k yeah?The best thing to do for that out of running and walking would be running. To develop your timing on this, set yourself mini goals for each session you perform, for example on improving time, perform the required distance and record the time achieved. Your aim for the next session would be able to improve on this time by even a couple of seconds and so forth, over time you would eventually shorten this time as your body physiologically adapts. If you are struggling to complete a 5k by just jogging then you can first start on improving your ability to run a set distance. To do this you would run to a set distance or one that you could do, say 3k and then, similarly to above, try and improve this within your next session, so the same speed but aim to run for 3.2-3.5k.Progression takes time and comittment but stick at it and you'll smash it in no time!

ReputationRep:
    Different people have different opinions. Personally I find training walking breaks into my routine just encourages me to take them. I'd rather run as far as I can without stopping. But lots of people do couch to 5k which is based walk/running and reducing the walk breaks and they find it a really good program.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    My fitness levels are not great. Although I've lost a fair amount of weight, the majority of the weight loss has been due to changes in diet and have not been cardio driven.

My ultimate goal would be to do a 15-20 minute 5k but that's a long term thing. I'm going to join a training regime with a local running club from mid April if they accept me but till then, I'll see what I can do at my gym.

I've been focusing on trying to make my treadmill sessions longer and usually end up alternating between walking and running 5k (3 miles). I wonder if it would be best to focus on getting a consistent mile even if it does kill my endurance for the session perhaps walking and trying some light jogging for the rest of the half an hr.
    Find a running club in your local area that holds a couch to 5k, usually they have a follow up program usually 5k-10k and eventually 10k-half marathon.

I did my first couch to 5k 3 years ago. I have now ran 5k's, 10k's and half marathons. I also completed my coaching so now I am able to take sessions and help. If you need any further assistance don't hesitate on messaging me.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.