Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Church and tithing watch

• View Poll Results: The Church and Tithing (please read thread first)
    Relax, you're reading too much into it. If you're part of the Church you should expect to contribute.
    40.00%
    You should expect to contribute if you're a member, but they seem a little forward.
    0%
    The Church are being a bit money grabbing, to be honest.
    40.00%
    Tithe by all means, but do it in your own way. It is about doing good in the name of God, not just about giving money to the Church.
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    I am beginning to explore the spiritual side of life and have become a member of a Church.

Obviously I understand that the religious groups have their own culture, just in the same way that any other group has; university students, professionals in any sector, and so on.

One thing I've been introduced to quite early on though is the idea of tithing - that is giving 10% of your salary to the Church.
    Now let's be fair, any organisation be it a charity, individual person, or business needs money to continue operating.
    Also I know it's fair to contribute to the Church if I am part of it.

All of this being said, the message seems to be to give to the Church rather than spend the money or effort doing good in God's name.

What do you people make of this, and of being introduced to tithing so early on? Am I reading too much into it, are the Church 'testing' my intentions by seeing if I'm willing to give, or are they basically being money grabbing?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a scam to me, I dont believe in any god things but if the church runs on gods will make the god pay for it not the slaves who probably will never have as much money as a church makes a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I am beginning to explore the spiritual side of life and have become a member of a Church.

Obviously I understand that the religious groups have their own culture, just in the same way that any other group has; university students, professionals in any sector, and so on.

One thing I've been introduced to quite early on though is the idea of tithing - that is giving 10% of your salary to the Church.
    Now let's be fair, any organisation be it a charity, individual person, or business needs money to continue operating.

All of this being said, the message seems to be to give to the Church rather than spend the money or effort doing good in God's name.

What do you people make of this, and of being introduced to tithing so early on? Am I reading too much into it, are the Church 'testing' my intentions by seeing if I'm willing to give, or are they basically being money grabbing?
    Not every church asks for 10% [tithe mean a tenth] as other charitable donations are also part of giving. Some say after tax not of your full salary.

Is this a mainstream church?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomName12311)
    Seems like a scam to me, I dont believe in any god things but if the church runs on gods will make the god pay for it not the slaves who probably will never have as much money as a church makes a week.
    I know where you're coming from, but with all due respect this isn't about whether or not you believe in God.

I'm asking about your views on giving money to the Church, being made to feel like this is something that you 'should' do, or if tithing is in fact an act of using your money and energy to do good in the name of your beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Not every church asks for 10% [tithe mean a tenth] as other charitable donations are also part of giving. Some say after tax not of your full salary.

Is this a mainstream church?
    Yes mainstream Church mate.

ReputationRep:
    Yes mainstream Church mate.
    Look at the accounts which should be published annually. Is this C of E because that is not common if so?

ReputationRep:
    What church is it?

In Ancient times- tithe meant 10% and you had to give that but that was old testament law and now we live under grace and it's not a requirement anymore. Personally I think if you can, and you're a genuine Christian and member of the church you should give. We are all called to be generous including with our money. Do what you can afford and what you can happily give. I don't believe in giving because you feel forced or you do it because you think God will be angry if you don't, both are false. You should give joyfully, whether that's pennies or £1000s.

I personally give monthly, it's nowhere near 10% because I genuinely can't afford that but I give what I can because I want to serve others with my money.

ReputationRep:
    My church asks for donations but you don’t have to pay anything
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Look at the accounts which should be published annually. Is this C of E because that is not common if so?
    No not CofE.

To be clear I have no issue with contributing, and in a Church community it shouldn't just be people who have been there for 10+ years that keep the plae going as this will lead to a feeling of 'them and us'.

That said, for somebody who is exploring this side of life to be being encouraged to give 10% of their salary to the Church, as much as I love the people I come into contact with I must admit in all honesty this has my alarm bells ringing.
    Whether they're doing it as some kind of strange internal 'test', or whatever, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    No not CofE.

To be clear I have no issue with contributing, and in a Church community it shouldn't just be people who have been there for 10+ years that keep the plae going as this will lead to a feeling of 'them and us'.

That said, for somebody who is exploring this side of life to be being encouraged to give 10% of their salary to the Church, as much as I love the people I come into contact with I must admit in all honesty this has my alarm bells ringing.
    Whether they're doing it as some kind of strange internal 'test', or whatever, I don't know.
    What denomination is this then?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Abraham tithe to Melchizedek in faith? And didn't the children of Jacob tithe in faith? Why don't people listen to God with what they should do with their wealth, rather than listening to man?

ReputationRep:

Every church I've ever gone to has always spoken about giving back to Gods work, ie the church. I've learnt over the years that it is wisest to give to the church you belong to, to support them financially and let them use the money appropriately as and where needed. For example the church I go to runs homeless shelters twice a night. At these shelters they need to feed people and also pay to run the church throughout the night with electricity, gas water etc. If we don't provide funds to help with this type of work the church does who else will do it? The whole idea of tithing is based on the biblical principle of giving God back the best of the crop.

As well as tithing there are offerings which are additional monies you can give to whoever you like, such as particular charities you support or a local person you know is in difficulty etc. It is over and above your tithe.

But God wants you to give with a cheerful heart and only give what you can afford. Obviously God doesn't want you to get in debt. Some people can only give a few pounds each month and that's ok.

If you hold onto your money there won't be room for God to refill the pot so to speak, so you'll always just get by.

Giving is an act of faith too.

At the end of the day money is a meaningless necessity .

This is a good little link on the subject too....

https://billygraham.org.uk/answer/do...have-to-tithe/

ReputationRep:
    if you say no, it will be looked down upon wont it. sounds very suspect to me to ask you so directly wihtout giving much option to say no, seems they like to have a tight grip on people. and aside from the money, do you realise you are supposed to love god more than your own family?? dont know why youre getting into this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Every church I've ever gone to has always spoken about giving back to Gods work, ie the church. I've learnt over the years that it is wisest to give to the church you belong to, to support them financially and let them use the money appropriately as and where needed. For example the church I go to runs homeless shelters twice a night. At these shelters they need to feed people and also pay to run the church throughout the night with electricity, gas water etc. If we don't provide funds to help with this type of work the church does who else will do it? The whole idea of tithing is based on the biblical principle of giving God back the best of the crop.

As well as tithing there are offerings which are additional monies you can give to whoever you like, such as particular charities you support or a local person you know is in difficulty etc. It is over and above your tithe.

But God wants you to give with a cheerful heart and only give what you can afford. Obviously God doesn't want you to get in debt. Some people can only give a few pounds each month and that's ok.

If you hold onto your money there won't be room for God to refill the pot so to speak, so you'll always just get by.

Giving is an act of faith too.

At the end of the day money is a meaningless necessity .

This is a good little link on the subject too....

https://billygraham.org.uk/answer/do...have-to-tithe/
    Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I know all this, I'm just asking about the forward approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petalsunrise)
    if you say no, it will be looked down upon wont it. sounds very suspect to me to ask you so directly wihtout giving much option to say no, seems they like to have a tight grip on people. and aside from the money, do you realise you are supposed to love god more than your own family?? dont know why youre getting into this.
    This is the thing, quite frankly it does make you wonder.

I've noticed there are little quirks about how people in religious circles talk that, quite frankly, subtly push you to essentially manipulate your actions.

What's said: "It's good to give to Church"
    What's really meant: "It's bad to not give to Church"

I'm no shrinking violet, and I'll say things as they are.
    No I don't mind contributing to any community I'm a part of, but no other club/society/community I belong to asks for a proportion of the gross amount of my salary.
    Do I understand why they do this? Yes.
    But frankly I think the reason they present (faith, God, doing good) is to a certain degree a front for "we want your money".
    Don't agree? Then why do Churches associate tithing with giving money to the Church, and not by using the money to do good, be it through the Church or not? The Church wants my money to pass through their hands.

I do love going to Church.
    I love the people, and I am enjoying exploring that side to life.
    Really I am.

But I do wonder.

With regards to loving God more than your family, to be honest I think you're beginning to make out that these people are cultish. Realistically they're not, but I do question this money thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I know all this, I'm just asking about the forward approach

God loves a cheerful giver

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.