The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry Paper 1 7404/1 - 22 May 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone remember the multiple choice questions I’ve completely forgotten because I rushed through that section.
Can someone pls list the mc questions and what the correct answer was (if you can remember) pls that would be really helpful!
Reply 181
Original post by rm1029
I got 5.68 for the value of x

same
There was a question on bonding in ammonium sulphate, trends in period 3, one to calculate concentration, around 4 on a titration practical about reducing percentage uncertinaty and how to calculate concordant tires more accurately.
Original post by Raheem2017
Can anyone remember the multiple choice questions I’ve completely forgotten because I rushed through that section.
Can someone pls list the mc questions and what the correct answer was (if you can remember) pls that would be really helpful!
IMG-20180523-WA0002.jpg
Reply 184
Original post by thotproduct
IMG-20180523-WA0002.jpg

No.

Spoiler

Original post by AR.27
I got like 6.1... For X??????

Same
Original post by nyxnko_
No.

Spoiler

Jokes aside, I think that exam was very relaxed! Roll on organic
Reply 187
Jokes aside, I think that exam was very relaxed! Roll on organic

Really? I found it quite not nice but not impossible.
Original post by nyxnko_
Really? I found it quite not nice but not impossible.

Yeah, I enjoyed it quite thoroughly, it wasn't challenging, and the MCQs were quite generous, there was only one 6 marker, but the many memes of toothpaste made it worth. However the scales of fate will only tip all the rest of the content into the organic test, the KE 5 marker was dank. I've dropped about 5 marks from silly errors but overall thought it was quite nice.

Nahh you've probably done awesome! And you've got organic on Friday which is many peoples' favourite!
Reply 189
Yeah, I enjoyed it quite thoroughly, it wasn't challenging, and the MCQs were quite generous, there was only one 6 marker, but the many memes of toothpaste made it worth. However the scales of fate will only tip all the rest of the content into the organic test, the KE 5 marker was dank. I've dropped about 5 marks from silly errors but overall thought it was quite nice.

Nahh you've probably done awesome! And you've got organic on Friday which is many peoples' favourite!

Yeah, I think I got a solid 12 out of 15 on the MCQs and I got most of the calculations so it's all good :thumbsup:
Thank you! I think you've done better than I have though :colondollar:
Organic!! :love: Hey, you've got it too!! :tongue:
Original post by confusedcornish
What did everyone think of the AS AQA chemistry paper 1?

The worst paper I've ever done in my life
Me and my friends just went through the paper- we're A2 - that toothpaste question was a hard one! I can see why that tripped everyone up, I had to have several goes. The time of flight wasn't so bad, but there was a lot of stages for only 5 marks.

I can compile our answers and post what we think is correct if you guys want? Should be able to do it for tomorrow if we have time.
Reply 192
Original post by brrrigid
Me and my friends just went through the paper- we're A2 - that toothpaste question was a hard one! I can see why that tripped everyone up, I had to have several goes. The time of flight wasn't so bad, but there was a lot of stages for only 5 marks.

I can compile our answers and post what we think is correct if you guys want? Should be able to do it for tomorrow if we have time.

If you could, that would be great :hugs:

What was the KE five marker I think I may have missed it out 😭
Original post by nyxnko_
If you could, that would be great :hugs:

Yes please do that ❤️❤️
Original post by Examsbeast761
What was the KE five marker I think I may have missed it out 😭

Basically yeah, we were given a distance of the Mass Spectrometer, and the time it takes for some Br ion (I'll just call it Br(81)+) to pass it.

The question was laid out in two parts.

You had to find the mass of one singular Br81 (or whatever it was) ion.

And you did that by just fiddling with Avagadros Constant.

Then the second part was, hence, find the time it would take for a different Br ion (let's say Br(79)) to cover the distance in the Mass Spectrometer.

Well once you find out the mass of the original Br ion, you can then do v = d/t with the known distance and known time in order to calculate v. KE = 1/2mv^2. And you should know that in a mass spectrometer that all ions are accelerated to the same Kinetic Energy, if you find the mass of the other Br ion by fiddling with avagadros, and you know it has the same KE, by dividing KE by mass you can find v^2, then finding v, as v = d/t you and thus t = d/v to find your time taken to cover that set distance.
Does anybody remember the exact wording and numbers to that toothpaste question?
Okay, so my friends and I answer's were:
(these are unchecked by teacher, we did them ourselves)

Q1..1) current model has a positive nucleus of protons and neutrons; current model has electrons in defined energy levels (orbitals)
.2) 1s2 2s2 2p3
.3) Be3N2

Q2.1) 1210ppm
.2) 2392.5mg
.3) 0.85kg

Q3.1) 5.89
.2) not all water in sample evaporated
.3) heat sample for longer; allows more/all water to evaporate from sample

Q4).1) carbonate ion test for NaCo3 (add dilute acid, bubble any gas through limewater); use AgNO3 for halide ions and then identify further by using ammonia

Q5.1) 3 minutes; concentrations of all gases become constant
.2) sketch graph at 7.5 value
.3) T2; reaction is endothermic, so equilibrium shifts right

Q6.1) mr = 74.7
.2)

Q.7.1) HClO = +1; HCl = -1
.2) oxidation of Cl2; reduction of Cl2
.3) products should be NaClO, NaCl and H2O
.4) mass in mg = 72.4; colour of solution changes from colourless to brown
.5) -2kJ mol

Q8.1) mass of one ion = 1.13*10^25; time taken = 6.77*10^-4
.2) ions hit detector at varying times depending on their mass number; detector generates an electrical current proportional to relative abundance of each ion

Q9.1) linear; 180
.2) electron repulsion of lone pairs is stronger than that of bonding pairs; so will not form tetrahedral or linear shape; bonds of F2 pushed closer together resulting in a bond angle of 104.5, forming a bent/non-linear shaped molecule
.3) van der waals; no hydrogen to form hydrogen bonds; Si bonded to four F; F usually strongly electronegative but four bonds of only F cancels out any dipole effect; however at any given point in time the distribution of electrons in a molecule may not be symmetrical; temporary dipoles affects and interacts with neighboring molecules; forms constantly shifting Van Der Waals forces

10) D
11) C
12) D
13) D
14) A
15) B
16) C
17) B
18) D
19) D
20) A
21) C
22) A
23) B
24) D

Sorry about not typing up questions, would take a lot of time and we're all currently revising - the multiple choice questions on that practical at the back really split hairs. The titration colour one is just an educated guess, as at the exact neutralization it may be orange - but you may only observe a colour change when it turns yellow.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by brrrigid
Okay, so my friends and I answer's were:
(these are unchecked by teacher, we did them ourselves)

Q1..1) current model has a positive nucleus of protons and neutrons; current model has electrons in defined energy levels (orbitals)
.2) 1s2 2s2 2p3
.3) Be3N2

Q2.1) 1210ppm
.2) 2392.5mg
.3) 0.85kg

Q3.1) 5.89
.2) not all water in sample evaporated
.3) heat sample for longer; allows more/all water to evaporate from sample

Q4).1) carbonate ion test for NaCo3 (add dilute acid, bubble any gas through limewater); use AgNO3 for halide ions and then identify further by using ammonia

Q5.1) 3 minutes; concentrations of all gases become constant
.2) sketch graph at 7.5 value
.3) T2; reaction is endothermic, so equilibrium shifts right

Q6.1) mr = 74.7
.2)

Q.7.1) HClO = +1; HCl = -1
.2) oxidation of Cl2; reduction of Cl2
.3) products should be NaClO, NaCl and H2O
.4) mass in mg = 72.4; colour of solution changes from colourless to brown
.5) -2kJ mol

Q8.1) mass of one ion = 1.13*10^25; time taken = 6.77*10^4
.2) ions hit detector at varying times depending on their mass number; detector generates an electrical current proportional to relative abundance of each ion

Q9.1) linear; 180
.2) electron repulsion of lone pairs is stronger than that of bonding pairs; so will not form tetrahedral or linear shape; bonds of F2 pushed closer together resulting in a bond angle of 104.5, forming a bent/non-linear shaped molecule
.3) van der waals; no hydrogen to form hydrogen bonds; Si bonded to four F; F usually strongly electronegative but four bonds of only F cancels out any dipole effect; however at any given point in time the distribution of electrons in a molecule may not be symmetrical; temporary dipoles affects and interacts with neighboring molecules; forms constantly shifting Van Der Waals forces

10) D
11) C
12) D
13) D
14) A
15) B
16) C
17) B
18) D
19) D
20) A
21) C
22) A
23) B
24) D

Sorry about not typing up questions, would take a lot of time and we're all currently revising - the multiple choice questions on that practical at the back really split hairs. The titration colour one is just an educated guess, as at the exact neutralization it may be orange - but you may only observe a colour change when it turns yellow.

Do you know where I can access the paper?
Original post by HstellarZ
Do you know where I can access the paper?

I don't, sorry - we only got a brief look at it and weren't able to get copies, we sat down and wrote our own answers out on paper. So I'm really sorry to everyone who's been messaging me, I don't have it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending