Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR!

I'm an A level student taking A2 examinations this year, and I'm really looking towards going to the US for a university, however, I'm really sad and disappointed by the fact that I may not be able to have a chance to get into Universities I wish to go to, and this is because I really messed up my AS level, screwing my chance up a lot for University applications...

Whilst I'm not an 'average' student, I usually get at least a C whenever I really mess up badly for tests. For example, my O Level results were decent, not insanely great but decent:

Mathematics B - A
    ICT - A
    English Literature - B
    English Language - B
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - B
    Accounting - C
    German - C

When it came to A Levels, I really wanted to pick up on Further Maths, ICT, and Physics, however I didn't really do well for AS (like I mentioned earlier) and got these results:

ICT - C
    Mathematics (AS Unit) - D
    Further Mathematics (A2 Unit) - D
    Physics - E

I focused most of my attention on ICT and Further Maths during the year, yet I still didn't do so well, and I actually had planned to drop Physics and continue Further Maths the next year. I messed up my first Unit Examinations (C1,C2) but gradually improved towards C3 and C4 (both of which scoring 53/75 from my school unit examinations) and I was told by my teacher that I could do well, but alas, I was unfortunate. Even for ICT, I did really well for all 3 units, maintaining an A grade throughout the 3 school terms, but for some odd reason my unit 2 mark was reduced from a 93% (school grade) to a staggering 68/100 for the final result and unit 3 was a complete flop. Overall, I was 5 UMS marks away to a B. I'd also like to add that EVERYONE in my grade who took ICT with me who also did well scored C, and the highest grade was a B. To summarize with physics, I was rather bored of it and showed a lack of interest with, and I never understood it so much, as the gap between AS and O Level was incredible.

After receiving these grades, I really didn't have any hope towards getting into a US university as I this was probably my biggest setback. I was sad, depressed and really upset with my grades and wasn't motivated to do anything. I sat for my SATs, did those fairly well (1200 on my 1st try and 1250 on my 2nd) and decided to apply anyway, yet no luck. I've already been rejected by 2 universities in california, and bound for another one that I applied to there as well.

My plan was to then instead of resit all of the Further Mathematics exams, I decided to take C12 and C34 to see if I could have a better chance at getting a quicker grade. I did Physics Unit 1 and 2 resits in January, and took C12 in January as well. Results for C12 were good (195/200) but Physics was just a 1 grade up improvement.

Also, in case anyone was wondering,
    I applied to these universities (x is marked for rejected)

University of California, Irvine
    University of California, Davis x
    University of California, Riverside x
    University of North Texas
    Texas State University
    Texas Tech University
    University of Central Florida

I'm considering taking a gap year yet I really REALLY don't want to take one as I'll be all alone in my country, and I don't want to apply to any other country. Do I still have a chance? Is there still a way to get in to all the places I applied to?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.