Turn on thread page Beta

Trying to get my deposit back watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied for student accommodation and I don’t want to stay there anymore and I’ve paid a £350 deposit. They won’t let me get my money back because of a cancellation policy. Any advice on how to get out of it?
    Btw I haven’t started my degree I’ve just got an offer and also I’m under 18 years old
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rednailpolish)
    I’ve applied for student accommodation and I don’t want to stay there anymore and I’ve paid a £350 deposit. They won’t let me get my money back because of a cancellation policy. Any advice on how to get out of it?
    Btw I haven’t started my degree I’ve just got an offer and also I’m under 18 years old
    Can you tell me a bit more about the circumstances?

This sounds like you've gone for private accommodation - rather than university-managed accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Can you tell me a bit more about the circumstances?

This sounds like you've gone for private accommodation - rather than university-managed accommodation?
    Yeah it’s private accommodation. It’s in accommodation. I’m hoping for a loophole out of it. Becasus I’m underage do the tenancy agreement doesn’t apply to me until I turn 18.
    I’m considering not going uni next year now because of personal circumstances but I’ve all ready booked my accommodation
    I’ve asked for it back but they said they can’t due to their cancellation policy. That money was all the money I really have at the moment and I’m not rich and I’m really stressed because of it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah it’s private accommodation. It’s in accommodation. I’m hoping for a loophole out of it. Becasus I’m underage do the tenancy agreement doesn’t apply to me until I turn 18.
    I’m considering not going uni next year now because of personal circumstances but I’ve all ready booked my accommodation
    I’ve asked for it back but they said they can’t due to their cancellation policy. That money was all the money I really have at the moment and I’m not rich and I’m really stressed because of it.
    Do you have a link for the provider? I'll have a look at their cancellation policy. If you're not going to uni, then you won't meet the tenancy requirements, which will be for you to be a full-time student attending university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Do you have a link for the provider? I'll have a look at their cancellation policy. If you're not going to uni, then you won't meet the tenancy requirements, which will be for you to be a full-time student attending university.
    https://www.iqstudentaccommodation.com
    This is them
    Thank you so much I’m really struggling here. You don’t understand how much this means to me.

ReputationRep:
    This is them
    Thank you so much I’m really struggling here. You don’t understand how much this means to me.
    Cancellations before the 1st of August

Until the 31st of July, if you have not yet taken up occupation of your accommodation (which is deemed to occur at the time you collect the keys to the accommodation), you may cancel your booking. In this case, your Reservation Fee is non-refundable and it can’t be transferred to another customer or tenancy period. You will no longer be liable for the contractual obligations laid out in the Tenancy Agreement.

Seems pretty clear that they can keep the reservation fee?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is them
    Their cancellation policy: https://www.iqstudentaccommodation.c...ations-england doesn't cover whether you've decided not to go to university - it just states that you lose the reservation fee. This doesn't seem that fair, as they would still be able to fill your place in the time until the next academic year starts.

I'd try and argue your case politely, asking for a managerial review, as the policy is vague for your circumstances. I'd also contact the university that you had applied to - their accommodation team should be able to advise further as you're likely to not be the first person that this has happened to.

ReputationRep:
    It's not vague, it's pretty clear. You paid a deposit which was clearly non-refundable and deposits are almost always non-refundable. You can beg but you're not going to get the money back.

ReputationRep:
    This is them
    I live in an IQ property at the moment, and as others have pointed out, the reservation fee is non-refundable. IIRC, there was a cooling off period when I booked, so I could have gotten my fee back within a few days of booking if I changed my mind, but I booked through Prodigy (which was then taken over by IQ) so their policies are probably not the same.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.