Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know that for undergrads there is some opportunity to do ‘outside options,’ but is that available to Masters students? There are a couple of outside modules I’d be interested in that relate to my chosen degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franas)
    Hi, I know that for undergrads there is some opportunity to do ‘outside options,’ but is that available to Masters students? There are a couple of outside modules I’d be interested in that relate to my chosen degree
    It depends on your course. Mine had "courses to the value of one unit" that were in theory completely free choice.

I say in theory because

1) Not all units accept students taking them as an outside option. The entry in the graduate course guide will tell you whether it is or isn't.
    2) It has to fit in with your timetable. Timetables generally schedule common combinations not to clash, but for more unusual courses you might have a clash and your core courses take priority.
    3) Some courses have pre-requisites that you won't necessarily meet if you're not on a core programme
    4) Some courses are capped, which means they have limited space and preference is normally given to students for whom it's a core option, then students in the host department, then externals.

The info about whether your course has outside options should be in your programme regulations. Information about the availability of the courses is in the course guide.

At the end of week 1 (I think) there is a mad scramble called course choice. My department was quite good in that course choice opened on Friday and they didn't start allocating places on courses in until Monday, but some genuinely do it first come, first served. For capped courses that are normally oversubscribed you have to write a short supporting statement of about 150 words saying why you want to join the course and some select on statement so it's worth thinking about what you might write.

I was there a couple of years ago and people gave pretty negative feedback about course choice. You've just arrived, you're still settling in and you need to make these big important choices about course options. There were some suggestions that they were going to try and make it easier by limiting the number of options - I don't know if that's gone through at all in the last couple of years. If you've been made an offer you should have a departmental contact you can ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indigo&Violet)
    It depends on your course. Mine had "courses to the value of one unit" that were in theory completely free choice.

I say in theory because

1) Not all units accept students taking them as an outside option. The entry in the graduate course guide will tell you whether it is or isn't.
    2) It has to fit in with your timetable. Timetables generally schedule common combinations not to clash, but for more unusual courses you might have a clash and your core courses take priority.
    3) Some courses have pre-requisites that you won't necessarily meet if you're not on a core programme
    4) Some courses are capped, which means they have limited space and preference is normally given to students for whom it's a core option, then students in the host department, then externals.

The info about whether your course has outside options should be in your programme regulations. Information about the availability of the courses is in the course guide.

At the end of week 1 (I think) there is a mad scramble called course choice. My department was quite good in that course choice opened on Friday and they didn't start allocating places on courses in until Monday, but some genuinely do it first come, first served. For capped courses that are normally oversubscribed you have to write a short supporting statement of about 150 words saying why you want to join the course and some select on statement so it's worth thinking about what you might write.

I was there a couple of years ago and people gave pretty negative feedback about course choice. You've just arrived, you're still settling in and you need to make these big important choices about course options. There were some suggestions that they were going to try and make it easier by limiting the number of options - I don't know if that's gone through at all in the last couple of years. If you've been made an offer you should have a departmental contact you can ask.
    I have optional courses to the tune of 2 units, and 1.5 units are compulsory. There is this one 0.5 unit module I want to do that’s in the European Institute, which allows outsiders to apply to/has no pre-requisites, the only future problem would be timetable clashes. My programme seems to be more of a guide when it comes to the optional modules as opposed to strict regulations, so hopefully by the time course choices start running I can apply to it. I’ll probably email the departmental contact today, thanks your help, really useful to know this!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.