Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate funding 2018 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’ve just received a unconditional at Birmingham city university however I’m a little worried about if student finance is going to cover both my tuition fee and accomodation..

The course is £6900 and most accommodation prices are around £4000-5000 a year which means I would have to partly fund this myself.

Is £10,000 the maximum you get for finance? And how does it get paid does it get paid in 3 instalments? (Tuition fee to the university and the remainder to me) do you get a maintenance fee and grant? Or do you have to pay for these seperatley?

Could you give me a better explanation as I’m very confused.

Thanks, amber.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AMBERROSEX)
    Hi I’ve just received a unconditional at Birmingham city university however I’m a little worried about if student finance is going to cover both my tuition fee and accomodation..

The course is £6900 and most accommodation prices are around £4000-5000 a year which means I would have to partly fund this myself.

Is £10,000 the maximum you get for finance? And how does it get paid does it get paid in 3 instalments? (Tuition fee to the university and the remainder to me) do you get a maintenance fee and grant? Or do you have to pay for these seperatley?

Could you give me a better explanation as I’m very confused.

Thanks, amber.
    Hi AMBERROSE,
    If you are applying for a Postgraduate Loan (PGL) it is a one time only product of up to £10,000. Student Finance would pay this directly to you in 3 installments per academic year to cover living costs and tuition fees and you would then arrange with your university how you would pay the fees directly to them.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi, is it only up to £10,000? On the website it says £10,690?

Thanks,

Amber.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AMBERROSEX)
    Hi, is it only up to £10,000? On the website it says £10,690?

Thanks,

Amber.
    Hi Amber,

It is to increase to £10,690 in the academic year 2018/19.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Louise E SFE;76588064]Hi Amber,

Thanks

Right I get it now so that applies to us starting postgraduate study at university in September? Sorry for all the questions! I believe postgrad applications are to open in the summer too? Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    [QUOTE=AMBERROSEX;76590408]
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Amber,

Thanks

Right I get it now so that applies to us starting postgraduate study at university in September? Sorry for all the questions! I believe postgrad applications are to open in the summer too? Thanks
    Hi Amber,
    Postgraduate Loans (PGL) for 18/19 will open around June.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.