Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!
    I've gotten into SOAS for IR, which is what I applied for to Kings as well - but Kings gave me Religion, Politics and Society instead, and a lot of people are telling me to firm it anyway because apparently:
    a) Kings is more prestigious
    b) I can switch modules/courses and end up pursuing politics anyway????
    Is this true? I'm just looking for opinions, I'm quite unsure about how to proceed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsahg)
    Hey everyone! I've gotten into SOAS for IR, which is what I applied for to Kings as well - but Kings gave me Religion, Politics and Society instead, and a lot of people are telling me to firm it anyway because apparently: a) Kings is more prestigious b) I can switch modules/courses and end up pursuing politics anyway???? Is this true? I'm just looking for opinions, I'm quite unsure about how to proceed
    Don’t go on prestige, go on what you will enjoy. You can always abbreviate your course title to politics. Select more politics modules in 2nd/3rd year. Switching is a potential but ring and find out if it’s ok before committing £27k+

SOAS is more critical, Kings is more this is the right answer.

Forget what people are telling you they’re not going to be doing three years of your course.You will need to decide what’s right for you.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me! Applied to IR at Kings and have been offered religion, politics and society. I've decided to go with Kings instead of Queen Mary's-who offered me my first choice course- because:a) it's my dream universityb) the degree will still allow me to pursue my desired career path (diplomat) andc) If I truly hate it I can always switch courses because it's the same department- you just have to let them know early on. Might see you in class in September!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tsahg)
    Hey everyone!
    I've gotten into SOAS for IR, which is what I applied for to Kings as well - but Kings gave me Religion, Politics and Society instead, and a lot of people are telling me to firm it anyway because apparently:
    a) Kings is more prestigious
    b) I can switch modules/courses and end up pursuing politics anyway????
    Is this true? I'm just looking for opinions, I'm quite unsure about how to proceed
    SOAS isn't really much worse than Kings in any way, it's just less known due to it's more specific focus and the perception that it doesn't have much outside of this, I suppose. It does depend a bit on what you want to do - if you want to be an IBanker then KCL is probably better than SOAS, although not by much and both are worse than an actual target uni. Outside of that, SOAS is fine, particularly if you're more interested in the course and the options available as you'll probably do better as a result - and classification trumps "barely different levels of renown" for generic grad schemes etc as far as I can tell.

As a anecdote, one of my slightly removed family members went to SOAS (not sure what he did, other than it wasn't Economics - I think one of their language courses), then did the gradDip/MPhil in Economics at Cambridge and went into the diplomatic service. I think he works at a non-profit now though. So, clearly it's not a barrier to going on to bigger and (arguably) better things...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.