Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i would like to do this degree but i am a mature student and sort of being apprehensive about leaving with £60,000 and more debt.
    i would like to this degree and work within the diplomatic section? would like some opinions on this as well
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mateus46)
    i would like to do this degree but i am a mature student and sort of being apprehensive about leaving with £60,000 and more debt.
    i would like to this degree and work within the diplomatic section? would like some opinions on this as well
    You may not need a degree but it will help to understand some basics and maybe network. See where grads end up and look for courses that have good links with the sector.

EDIT: There are various routes into the diplomatic service/sector which may not may not need a degree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you need a degree to enter the Diplomatic Service (which I think you do), then asking if it is good value for money is irreverent. The Civil Service does not care what subject your degree is in, so study something that interests you - if that's IR, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    You can do any degree to get into the FCO, getting one from a good uni e.g. Oxford helps a lot, its very competitive.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    You can do any degree to get into the FCO, getting one from a good uni e.g. Oxford helps a lot, its very competitive.
    I don't believe this is true.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the good news. If it doesn't work out you wont have to pay back the money anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I don't believe this is true.
    It does not matter what you believe, the FCO is stuffed full of Oxbridge and Russell group graduates. Its the most competitive part of the Civil service, it gets the best people especially those who want overseas postings.

ReputationRep:
    IR will be just as 'useful' as any other social science or humanities degree for getting a job in the Civil Service or elsewhere. What matters far more is that you study at a good university and get a lot of work experience under your belt.

The question isn't whether an IR degree is worth it. For you it should be whether a degree (regardless of subject) is something that you want to do, and need to do to get to the career you want. If the answer to both those two questions is yes, then IR is a good choice.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.