ReputationRep:
    RIP Steven Hawking
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    meh, people are too quick to throw around the word 'great' nowadays
    RIP JIM

ReputationRep:
    It’s strange how celebs seem to die in waves. Early 2016 there seemed to be a death a day, now it’s round two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    It’s strange how celebs seem to die in waves. Early 2016 there seemed to be a death a day, now it’s round two.
    You have a point, I was sad to hear of Stephen Hawking’s passing, he was a legendary scientist
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    RIP Van Winkle.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought this was gonna be related to Stephen Hawking passing away

ReputationRep:
    He will have a long wait at the pearly gates - Doddy's only halfway through his show!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    He will have a long wait at the pearly gates - Doddy's only halfway through his show!
    Jim Bowen, alumnus of what is now the University of Chester.

Sir Ken Dodd, speaker at the first ever academic conference on humour and laughter as long ago as 1976 and collector of literature on the theory of humour.

ReputationRep:
    There's no criteria for being a celebrity. Even today 8 people of note have died: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2018

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    There's no criteria for being a celebrity. Even today 8 people of note have died: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2018
    Your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzayyyy)
    RIP Steven Hawking
    Absolutely!!!!! How that guy put up with his disease for that long amazes me!! He truly came up with some amazing concepts. I'm reading his book "A Brief History of Time" for the 2nd or 3rd time. We truly are poorer for his passing. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Your point?
    It's not strange. People die. Including celebrities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Jim Bowen, alumnus of what is now the University of Chester.

Sir Ken Dodd, speaker at the first ever academic conference on humour and laughter as long ago as 1976 and collector of literature on the theory of humour.
    The eulogy for Bowen on radio 4's 6PM news struck me as rather odd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tyzsf#play (starts 27.40)

first up - the star prize on bullseye was usually a car iirc... bullseye's prizes totally whipped the prizes on BBC gameshows of the same era.

Apparently 'he belonged to a vibrant white working class culture that has now largely vanished'

which I think translates as 'He used to be on telly back when we still used to let northerners and people who didn't talk with the approved accent in'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)

Apparently 'he belonged to a vibrant white working class culture that has now largely vanished that can't get any television exposure'.
    Has any comic become a TV star by preforming their act on TV since the death of New Faces?

The only ones I can think think of are Jack Dee and the Whose Line is it Anyway?/Comedy Store team. That is more than 20 years ago.

People like David Walliams, Ant & Dec, Miranda Hart have all made their names via drama school and acting and not from doing a funny act on TV.

There are very few actors, at least until they become very famous, who can make their accent or background part of their persona, because it limits roles.

As a result TV comedy becomes the preserve of BBC English.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to news and current affairs

ReputationRep:
    Your point?
    So many people are noticeable that the media can make it seem like waves when really it's a normal distribution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brucy's Beach)
    So many people are noticeable that the media can make it seem like waves when really it's a normal distribution.
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    It's not strange. People die. Including celebrities.

I can’t with people who take everything so literally :facepalm:

Obviously i’m not suggesting that there’s a conspiracy and the grim reaper is on a celeb killing spree round 2. Millions of people die every day, celeb and non celeb. I’ll make sure to only post 100% literal, serious comments from now on so dumbasses don’t get confused because they can’t understand tone.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.