Turn on thread page Beta

How did you get over your fear of needles/giving blood/injections? watch

Will try not to faint as I write this.

When I was younger I was slightly anaemic so would have to sometimes get blood taken to test it. First couple of times it wasn't too awful. But for the past 5 or 6 years I've developed a massive phobia of it so avoid it as much as possible. I'm always fine in the nurse's office when it's being done to me because I guess I don't want to look like a wimp. But before and after it I feel so faint and dizzy. Last time I was very close to fainting when I got home after doing it. I take iron supplements and eat a balanced diet so I don't have to get blood taken now. Although my mum often suggests I should just to check.

I don't think it's the amount of blood that's making me feel like that because obviously I lose quite a lot during when I'm on my period. Also I should note period blood doesn't affect me in the slightest. However recently I had a very deep cut and that made me feel faint. So I think it depends.
    I also have a massive phobia of venous catheters. And I am so scared of the day I have to go in hospital and I have one on my hand/arm.

Genuinely blood/needles/injections are my biggest phobias and are the only thing that I sometimes can't even talk about or think about in case I faint.
    Have any of you been able to get over this fear? If so how.

I should also say though, I absolutely love vaccinations in my upper arm. Like I genuinely enjoy them. So it's not so much the needle itself, it's just where it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I found that looking at it while it happens helps because it gives you a perspective on how much it actually hurts, which is very little. But I guess this won't work for everyone.

(Original post by MR1999)
    I found that looking at it while it happens helps because it gives you a perspective on how much it actually hurts, which is very little. But I guess this won't work for everyone.
    It's not that it's painful, it's just the idea of a needle going into my vein. Horrible thought.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't. I still need a sedative. Bad experience with a nurse in my early years.
    It's very difficult. Nurses look at me and see a 22 year old. The last time one called my fear bs and didn't sedate me, my heart rate jumped to 250bpm and I passed out. I'm really annoyed by it. I have a very rare blood type, and I'd want to donate blood, but unless I am sedated I can't.

ReputationRep:
    You need to put things into perspective, yes there is a needle in your vein but if this is a life/death situation (I get it might not be that extreme) but just relax. I had the same issue before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (daily injections) so i has no choice however if you just relax and pull things into perspective it will be fine. Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    It might not work for you, but I used to be terrified (was once held down). I am still not great, but I don't get the doctor/nurse to tell me what they are doing. All I do i focus on relaxing my arm and making it super floppy and sleepy as this will stop it hurting so much. Then a few seconds later it will all be over. Also the best way to get over it is confront it when you have no choice. I had to get 3 injections and a blood test before I could start my uni course

ReputationRep:
    I haven't yet... It is just one of those things where you just deal with it when it comes up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Will try not to faint as I write this.

When I was younger I was slightly anaemic so would have to sometimes get blood taken to test it. First couple of times it wasn't too awful. But for the past 5 or 6 years I've developed a massive phobia of it so avoid it as much as possible. I'm always fine in the nurse's office when it's being done to me because I guess I don't want to look like a wimp. But before and after it I feel so faint and dizzy. Last time I was very close to fainting when I got home after doing it. I take iron supplements and eat a balanced diet so I don't have to get blood taken now. Although my mum often suggests I should just to check.

I don't think it's the amount of blood that's making me feel like that because obviously I lose quite a lot during when I'm on my period. Also I should note period blood doesn't affect me in the slightest. However recently I had a very deep cut and that made me feel faint. So I think it depends.
    I also have a massive phobia of venous catheters. And I am so scared of the day I have to go in hospital and I have one on my hand/arm.

Genuinely blood/needles/injections are my biggest phobias and are the only thing that I sometimes can't even talk about or think about in case I faint.
    Have any of you been able to get over this fear? If so how.

I should also say though, I absolutely love vaccinations in my upper arm. Like I genuinely enjoy them. So it's not so much the needle itself, it's just where it goes.

Experience. I used to feel really unwell and throw up after every blood test. I had to get a bunch done over the years though for diagnosing and keeping track of stuff. Eventually I just got used to it. It helped to have it done with the same nurse cos she knew the deal and I trust her (some aren't as gentle as others or have difficulty with my veins). I always lay down, have a chat or read a poster and stay there for a moment after to be safe, but I haven't had an issue for years now.

For me it was a physical thing. My body wasn't used to that sort of feeling and went nuts. For you it sounds like there's more of an influence from your mental state. You say you're always fine actually having it done, so I would just remind yourself of that. No sense being afraid of something you know is fine. Exposure helps with some anxieties, but please don't go prodding yourself with needles. There's really nothing to worry about so I think it's a matter of you reminding yourself and telling your body it's okay to calm down if you do start getting anxious. Some slow, deep breathing, thinking of song lyrics, eating etc can help with that. They're things that tell your body "we're safe" and help it calm down. Bodies kinda roll with an anxious feeling if you let them, even when you know there's no reason for it.

I think part of it for me was realising that it's totally fine to feel a bit odd when blood is being taken and not let that worry me. Once you start worrying it's hard to stop.

As far as cannulas go, nothing to worry about either. I've had a fair few now and the biggest issue has been the pain of them going in. Past that it might as well just be a big plaster. And honestly if you're needing one you're not likely to care about how it feels.

I hope that makes sense.
    I think it could be worth having your iron levels checked if you haven't in a long time. You may not need that same dose any more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.