Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax included)
    £3500

Are you a new driver?
    Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Trips around uni/home as well as occassional drives home to and from uni

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
    Not massive just enough for a gym bag size

Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Commuting to late shifts, driving long distance home

Any brands you would prefer?
    Mazda, Hyundai, Ford

Any brands you dislike?
    Vauxhall, Peugeot

What features in the car are important to you?
    Coupe, ideally

What gearbox do you want?
    Manual

Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes

Special requirements?
    -

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    Given that no-one has offered any ideas, I think a slight reality check is needed in that you are unlikely to get a Coupe as your first car. I don't know of any such cars that would fit your budget, your requirements and relevant to a first time driver.

I mean, real coupe cars are usually high performance cars with equally high insurance groups. The Mazda RX-8 Coupe for example has up to 227bhp, is uneconomical (about 25mpg) and is in insurance group 27-34. Good luck affording the insurance! The road tax alone is anywhere between £305 - £535

You might need to reconsider and look for a small hatchback as your first car. A Ford Fiesta (mk7), Mazda 2 or Hyundai i20 would be more appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    The Seat Leon SC is probably the only Coupe you have even a remote chance of being insured on - and you won't be able to afford it on that budget, nowhere near.

Just get a small hatchback like Menrva said.

ReputationRep:
    Surely a hyundai coupe fits the description?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menrva)
    Given that no-one has offered any ideas, I think a slight reality check is needed in that you are unlikely to get a Coupe as your first car. I don't know of any such cars that would fit your budget, your requirements and relevant to a first time driver.

I mean, real coupe cars are usually high performance cars with equally high insurance groups. The Mazda RX-8 Coupe for example has up to 227bhp, is uneconomical (about 25mpg) and is in insurance group 27-34. Good luck affording the insurance! The road tax alone is anywhere between £305 - £535

You might need to reconsider and look for a small hatchback as your first car. A Ford Fiesta (mk7), Mazda 2 or Hyundai i20 would be more appropriate.
    Hiya!

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't being very realistic at all! I have scratched that completely, you are right. I am now looking at spending approx £350 pcm on car/insurance included. I have been looking at the Fiat/Abarth/etc. 500s and find these quite nice cars?

The Ford Fiesta is definitely a staple however they seem to be so popular that as soon as you find a nice one it's gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    The Seat Leon SC is probably the only Coupe you have even a remote chance of being insured on - and you won't be able to afford it on that budget, nowhere near.

Just get a small hatchback like Menrva said.
    Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    Hiya!

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't being very realistic at all! I have scratched that completely, you are right. I am now looking at spending approx £350 pcm on car/insurance included. I have been looking at the Fiat/Abarth/etc. 500s and find these quite nice cars?

The Ford Fiesta is definitely a staple however they seem to be so popular that as soon as you find a nice one it's gone!
    The Zetec models are plentiful, you could also try getting a Zetec S. I don't think you'd get insured on an Abarth, it's just out of reach; but the Zetec/Zetec S are relatively stylish, punchy models for new drivers.

ReputationRep:
    The Zetec models are plentiful, you could also try getting a Zetec S. I don't think you'd get insured on an Abarth, it's just out of reach; but the Zetec/Zetec S are relatively stylish, punchy models for new drivers.
    I'll take a look at the Zetecs! Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Decided on a SEAT Ibiza, relatively low insurance group and decent price too!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.